PDA

View Full Version : sunrisetropicals ?

susantroy1
08-24-2008, 09:27 AM
Hey folks,

I am currently ready to purchase about 6 more Discus now that my 140G display has been established. My question is concerning on line merchants, I almost pulled the trigger on a $250 purchase from somethingsphishy, But thought I had read a post about them from this sight so I did a search and sure enough you good people saved me once again:) Reading that post I came across this recommendation from a poster about this vendor and was wondering if you could help me outhttp://www.sunrisetropicals.com/index.html please feel free to offer other sites as well I have never bought through mail order and am willing to spend a fair amount but not over the top as far as price. I checked the 4 sale post on this site and discman123 has some nice melons but I am not looking for those quantities. Hope you can point me in the right direction.

Thanks, Troy

Fishworm
08-24-2008, 11:10 AM
My fish from Sunrise are due to arrive on Tuesday. I had to redo half of my order because Tony refused to send me some of the discus I wanted because they were not 100% healthy, and 2 of them were beating the heck out of each other. you cant beat a seller like that.

I'll post some pics and give a review when they all arrive.

dpt8
08-24-2008, 11:36 AM
I have bought some great fish from Tony @ Sunrisetropicals. I recieved very good fish.

I am still surprised why you didn't buy/order any from our sponsors. They help sponsor this sight, have wicked clean healthy fish and at very reasonable prices. Here you can get any variety and size for a great price here. NO discus are hormone treated or artificially colored here either..

MSD
08-24-2008, 12:03 PM
Fish from Sunrise are good but pricey, the sponsors here are as good or better and much less. Your call.

Fishworm
08-24-2008, 12:35 PM
I had placed my order before I became a member here. :) I'll definately use a sponsor for my next order.

susantroy1
08-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the heads up all...:) You guys are right, I will review the sponsors here and WILL purchase from them... Thats the least I can do for such a great sight and a wealth of experience you all provide... I'll let you know what I choose, already excited about the whole experience:bounce:

Troy

MSD
08-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Not just for the site but for you, you'll get more for your money and top quality.

Greg Richardson
08-24-2008, 04:08 PM
It's always good to try when possible to support the sponsors of this site. Yet, their certainly isn't nothing wrong with Sunrise Tropicals quality of fish.

sophie68
08-24-2008, 10:53 PM
Hi,
Tony @ Sunrise Tropicals is an honest seller, no doubt about it. He's also got a magnificent store. I have 2 nice fish from him. However, I also agree with everyone here that you will pay a lot more ordering from ST than you would here. You will pay more for a fish of lesser quality.....:confused:

I also bought mine from ST BEFORE I discovered Simply Discus.
Good luck! Tony has got some gorgeous golden leopards but they are very expensive.:(

Sophie

moto250mx
08-24-2008, 11:28 PM
View in person what you are purchasing!...Anything else is a gamble...Too many crooks in this hobby.

Jason

DISCUS USA
08-24-2008, 11:35 PM
Tony ive bought from like 3-4 seperate times in the past.He always was straight up with me about the quality.All you gotta do is describe what you want and he sends exactly what you asked for.If he doesnt have what you want your discus to look like he will tell you he knows better to be honest than pay later for being greedy.For that i say he's an excellent vendor i highly recommend him.

Ryan
08-24-2008, 11:37 PM
Please post all questions about vendors in our Livestock & Product Review forum.

Harriett
08-25-2008, 02:12 PM
I hand picked a group of discus [san merahs] a couple years ago [great store] and recently bought wild leopoldi angels from Tony; the quality of his fish is excellant, he was a pleasure to work with, and truthfully his prices were comparable for juvies with many of our sponsors here. He also runs sales. His shipping was great, no glitches. I like to support our sponsors and do, but I am also looking out for myself--if it's a high quality fish that I am on the hunt for, at the right price, and I know the seller will be straight up with me, I'm going to consider a purchase. Call me self centered.
Best regards
Harriett

Fishworm
08-26-2008, 03:00 PM
my fish all arrived this morning and all I can say is.....

wow!

none of them even had a frayed fin. they all arrived in excellent shape and, after acclimation, they are all doing excellent.

I'll get some pictures tomorrow when I get the tank lights back on. I just love my giant pidgeon blood with the black chin. he will be known as blackbeard the Discus. :D

cich4fish
09-29-2008, 10:21 PM
I have purchased from Tony back in August and was pleased with my order.My only problem was the amount of peppering on the red melons that I purchased.Let me know you opinion.

Thanks Eric

dpt8
09-30-2008, 01:25 PM
Tony sells beautiful fish. Buying melons, pigeon bloods and the like through the mail is a chance we all take for amount of peppering. Fish will also show increased darker peppering due to stress, background and dark substrate. Nature of these varieties.. Best to pick out in person but that can't always be done. Have good quality water, light colored background and light substrate to keep fish from showing a lot of its peppering.

chemjab
10-03-2008, 11:36 PM
Tony sells beautiful fish. Buying melons, pigeon bloods and the like through the mail is a chance we all take for amount of peppering. Fish will also show increased darker peppering due to stress, background and dark substrate. Nature of these varieties.. Best to pick out in person but that can't always be done. Have good quality water, light colored background and light substrate to keep fish from showing a lot of its peppering.

You are so right :) about peppering from environment variables. I bought two PB's from a LFS. When I picked them out there was very little peppering. I have documented how they have changed over many months with a black background and substrate.
For details see:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=66212

Discus_Dezign
01-15-2009, 06:18 AM
I just did my second purchase by mail with Sunrise Tropical. Tony is a great guy to work with whom I think has great customer service. My fishes came at the right time 10am just like he said. He might be a little high but hey like Harriett I have to watch myself since I was robbed by RFI. I order two GLSS and two GLs but when I talked to Tony before the shipment was due he told me the GLs were getting picked on by the GLSSs so he gave me two GRingLs instead to cover the GLs. When the shipment came in this morning the GRingLs were, WOW, a little over 3 inches with the rings alrady showing and in top shape and the GLSSs was just as beautiful. I wouldn't mind ordering from Tony again but need to wait till he gets more GLs but the White Cloud Leopards look amazing ;) Surise Discus I give it :thumbsup::thumbsup:

hedut
01-27-2009, 01:37 PM
Like most member said Tony discus are beautiful but he doesn't have alot nice body shape for his fish and abit price, not like sponsor in simply. Here some picture my Albino WB that I receive them 12:17pm, and the bag was linking and the water was cold. I'm sure 100% that I will not ever buy discus from sunrise tropical
Hendri

poconogal
01-28-2009, 09:40 AM
I too bought Discus from Tony at Sunrise and they arrived 100% okay, barely even a frayed fin to be found. Hendri, I am surprised that you had this problem. Have you discussed it with Tony? If not, you definiately should call him and talk about the problem.

moik
01-28-2009, 08:15 PM
I have inquired about his discus in the past.(Sunrise tropical about 2 years ago) seemed like to get extra pictures was a hard to do request for him. Especially for his pricetags. I like to see what I am buying no matter what..Too much personal information up front to purchase discus... So for the best I just looked anywhere I can find quality discus for sale and make my own decision.. Thank god that Simply was and still is here. Would not buy another discus outside these sponsors here. Top quality fish, Top quality sponsors and easy to work with ...Just my hand experiences.

hedut
01-28-2009, 08:37 PM
I have inquired about his discus in the past.(Sunrise tropical about 2 years ago) seemed like to get extra pictures was a hard to do request for him. Especially for his pricetags. I like to see what I am buying no matter what..Too much personal information up front to purchase discus... So for the best I just looked anywhere I can find quality discus for sale and make my own decision.. Thank god that Simply was and still is here. Would not buy another discus outside these sponsors here. Top quality fish, Top quality sponsors and easy to work with ...Just my hand experiences.

I'm agree with you, just thinking to I won't buy discus anymore if not from simply sponsor. Anyway just for you information that fist isn't my first purchase with him. I still have my 2 Lss and blood pigeon until now.
Hendri

moik
01-28-2009, 09:30 PM
I am not trying to insinuate anyhting. Sunrise just seemed to complicated to deal with.. I like buying groups of 6-8-10 fish of the same strain at one time. When he gives you one picture (on the web-site)of a fish and says they are grade A and that they are all the same, that does not fly fom me. If I were to buy 8 fish and saw one picture of one fish ,I am going to request photos of the whole group for sale to make my mind up. Never had that problem with Simply sponsors. For example one fish is $100.00X 8 =$800.00 plus shipping. For that kind of money can you please send additional photos. Especially when you live on one side of the USA and he's on the other side. Also requested too much personal info before he would send more pictures, sorry that is too much for me to buy fish off of you. Simply sponsors either show enough pictures or they will e-mail you more without a problem. We should all feel fortunate to have these sponsors here at Simply.I am very sorry you and your fish have had a bad experience and hopefully everything will work out.

MSD
01-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Bought from Tony and he is a great guy with really nice fish, He sends exactly what I ask for and the fish look even better then the pics. I live in NY so its across country too, but never a problem with health. He won't even ship a fish if he thinks its not looking healthy the day of shipping.

DISCUS USA
01-29-2009, 11:08 AM
Tony is a busy guy with his shop but will definately take the time to take your order from the other side this country and pick out exactly what you ask for.. ive ordered like 3 times in past from him..great packing always..

hedut
01-29-2009, 04:47 PM
But the fact is happen with me, here picture of my last two purchase with him,their fine. "Anything can happen in this world"
http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=21447&page=22
Hendri

Greg Richardson
01-29-2009, 05:47 PM
Did you contact Tony about your purchase?
Shipping problems happen.
Or maybe someone who shouldn't have been packing them was?

It's much better to communicate with someone before coming on here showing fish so that both sides have had a chance to resolve the situation.

hedut
01-29-2009, 06:01 PM
He gave me credit, but that Albino WB already sold out. I won't buy fish from him anymore.
Hendri

Greg Richardson
01-29-2009, 07:09 PM
OK. Now that is at least letting everyone know more of the situation and it can be up to them to decide to buy or not.

I just like to see more of the picture here then just what was posted.

I can certainly understand your position.
We work hard for our money and have expectations once we spend it that should be met.

Kindredspirit
01-29-2009, 09:57 PM
I won't buy fish from him anymore.
Hendri

You would if you visit his store. I have been there many times and his fish are impressive and huge:)

brewmaster15
02-03-2009, 04:37 PM
Guys, please keep the discussion down... just share the good and bad experiences...

thanks,
al

BABYJIZAY
02-24-2009, 04:45 PM
I purchased from them late last year and the fish were healthy and as described. The packaging was awesome.

hedut
03-14-2009, 09:33 PM
it was 20F at that day ,packing without any heat pack how can they a live?

poconogal
03-15-2009, 06:54 PM
What happened to your Discus was a shame, but accidents happen, what can you do? It is upsetting though...

I've had excellent shipments of beautiful Discus from Tony. I've just ordered from him again and am taking advantage of his shipping special.

dishpanhands
03-15-2009, 07:35 PM
I have got fish from him a while back.. I would advise to get your fish from one of the board salers.. He sent me razor thin fish that was so sick it was unreal. the fish was about 5 inches and so thin it looked bad.

hedut
03-15-2009, 08:31 PM
What happened to your Discus was a shame, but accidents happen, what can you do? It is upsetting though...

I've had excellent shipments of beautiful Discus from Tony. I've just ordered from him again and am taking advantage of his shipping special.

Well, that something that we can't do. I think you order big Red malboro right? good luck connie

poconogal
03-15-2009, 08:50 PM
Hedut, yes the BIG Red Marlboro. Has a slight bump on the head but for the size and the color, just what I wanted.

hedut
03-15-2009, 08:55 PM
that nice its big,what else you get Connie? I think he reduce some price to.
hendri