PDA

View Full Version : White Feces

DiscusChris
08-25-2008, 05:50 PM
Just swapped to a barebottom tank, and it turns out my runt has white feces. It makes me wonder if it wasnt his growth that was stunted, but that hes been sick for a long time and not grown as a result. Any advice?

limct
08-28-2008, 12:22 PM
You can try to deworm them using metronidazole .

MSD
08-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Metronidazole is not a dewormer, it is a treatment for Hex. Prazi is used to treat worms most often.

Apistomaster
08-31-2008, 12:19 AM
If this discus will eat any pellet/granule discus food i recommend you feed it food soaked in UltraCure PX exclusively for 3 weeks. It contains praziquantal, flubendazole and metroniadazole so that pretty much covers all the internal parasites for which their is a snowball's chance of curing. I don't believe infected discus can be 'cured' of these internal parasites but they are chronic and may be greatly reduced in numbers thus allowing an infected Discus to have more energy available for growth and development. I recommend performing this on all your discus one every six months for at least two weeks since you now know your fish either already have parasites or have been exposed to these internal parasites. This medication does not harm the discus and since it is delivered in the food of sick but feeding discus you don't have to treat the entire volume of water. The meds are perfectly targeted to where they will be the most effective.
You are fortunate to be a US resident because some of the active ingredients in UltraCure PX are no yet authorized in the UK and many European countries. PraziPro by Hikari is very good it is just that only the UltraCure PX combines all 3 of the most useful med in one preparation.

I mix up enough medicated food to last 5 days and keep it refrigerated went not using it. It is best to add a lot of of the medication and in a layer cake fashion. Then once the container is full, add a little water to help the dry food absorb the medication. I use Tetra Color Granules as the food for delivering the medications to the discus' gut but you should use whatever food your discus like best.

DiscusChris
09-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Alright, Ive started soaking the food as of last monday. Today I was doing my water change and noticed a very small white worm wiggling around. I opened the top of the filter to check the filter pad, and when I moved it lots of little white worms came pouring into the tank. Im sure that if I can see these few, there are a lot more all over the place.

Will medicating the food kill these worms in addition to the ones inside the fish? Is there something else I should be doing?

alan j t
09-03-2008, 05:16 PM
hey apistomaster
where could i buy some UltraCure PX
i checked allover and came out nill

Moon
09-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Alright, Ive started soaking the food as of last monday. Today I was doing my water change and noticed a very small white worm wiggling around. I opened the top of the filter to check the filter pad, and when I moved it lots of little white worms came pouring into the tank. Im sure that if I can see these few, there are a lot more all over the place.

Will medicating the food kill these worms in addition to the ones inside the fish? Is there something else I should be doing?

Those are most likely Planaria. Harmless worms about 1/4" long. The cause overfeeding. Cut back on your feeding, clean the tank and filter and up your wc routine.

dwilder
09-03-2008, 06:06 PM
i think you can get UltraCure PX at big als

alan j t
09-03-2008, 09:04 PM
yup its there
thank you

DiscusChris
09-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Those are most likely Planaria. Harmless worms about 1/4" long. The cause overfeeding. Cut back on your feeding, clean the tank and filter and up your wc routine.

Alright, Ill do a larger w/c daily instead of the large one every 2 days until these worms are gone.