PDA

View Full Version : Moving to the big kids tank - need advice plz

Autumn Wind
08-26-2008, 05:52 PM
I would really appreciate any advice on this as I'm pretty conflicted.
I have 7 discus growing out in a bb tank and have a planted 55 gal tank all ready to go now. My plan was to grow the discus out to 4.5 - 5 inches and then transfer them to the planted tank. Here is where I am stuck.
I have 3 discus that are plenty big enough now the rest maybe a month behind. If I wait until all of them are big and move them all at once I am concered with the sudden bioload on the planted tank.
If I move the three bigger discus and wait to move the following 4 later I am concered that it will effect the pecking order and my discus that now get along great will suddenly develop agression towards each other.
Any help MUCH appreciated.
vanessa

Graham
08-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Move everyone in one shot... and monitor water quality and take established bio-media from the other tank with them...little spike, if any and no pecking order problems

GrillMaster
08-26-2008, 07:44 PM
If the plants have had time to acclimate themselves before the addition of the discus you wont have any problems. I would also do as Graham recommended.

Between the two you shouldn't see a spike. Start out with a lot of stem plants and start removing them little by little till you have a balanced tank that looks appealing to you...

Autumn Wind
08-28-2008, 12:06 AM
Move everyone in one shot... and monitor water quality and take established bio-media from the other tank with them...little spike, if any and no pecking order problems

I should move bio media with them even though the planted tank is established? Is this because the bacteria will be different between the BB and planted tanks?
thanks Graham.

Autumn Wind
08-28-2008, 12:15 AM
If the plants have had time to acclimate themselves before the addition of the discus you wont have any problems. I would also do as Graham recommended.

Between the two you shouldn't see a spike. Start out with a lot of stem plants and start removing them little by little till you have a balanced tank that looks appealing to you...

The plants are established and have developed all of their submersed foliage and I've removed most of the old submersed foliage. I have two broadleaf sword (Kleiner Bar and Ozalot) a huge mother java fern, 2 compact swords, a couple of Willisi (sp?) and bunch of micro swords. I just added some Elodea but I'm not sure if it will survive the heat. There is a small school of Cardinals and a few grounds keepers (BN, Cories) The plants have been in since Feb and the last fish was put in 2 months ago. No casualties so all is good.
Mark do you think I should add MORE stem plants before moving the discus in or do you think the plants I have are enough?
THANK YOU!

Graham
08-28-2008, 08:38 AM
The few cardinals and cories would not have given off enough NH3 to get the nitrifiers established to be able to handle the discus. So if you don't move some established bio with the discus then the tanl will spike with NH3 and NO2

Autumn Wind
08-28-2008, 12:53 PM
The few cardinals and cories would not have given off enough NH3 to get the nitrifiers established to be able to handle the discus. So if you don't move some established bio with the discus then the tanl will spike with NH3 and NO2

That makes sense. If you don't mind how do yo think I should move the media? The bb tank has a Tetra Protec HOB filter with a large sponge. The planted tank has a Marineland multi-stage filter that has a similar sponge in the bottom, then bio balls, purigen followed by felt pads. I assume the moved bio media needs to be in the water flow. Should I replace one of the bio's (sponge or balls) with the sponge from the bb or do I find a way to make it all fit?
Sorry for all the questions. My discus have been so healthy and happy all this time the thought of moving them is giving me heart palpitations :(
vanessa

Graham
08-28-2008, 02:59 PM
jam it in any way that you can

GrillMaster
08-29-2008, 08:33 PM
If you stick alot of cheap stem plants in there, you wont have to move media or anything. You wont have a spike since the stem plants will suck up anything you throw at them.

A tank full of stem plants is virtually cycled from the beginning. Moving all your fish over there all at once will make no difference at all with a tank loaded with plants!

In a few weeks you can just toss, sell or trade the stem plants ya dont want. There is always someone wantin stem plants! ;) :D :D

Autumn Wind
09-02-2008, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the advice! Feeling better about the move now. Just waiting for my smallest fish to grow some more. Hoping to make the move next month.
thanks again!
vanessa

alan j t
09-02-2008, 04:29 PM
pics please!?!?

Autumn Wind
12-12-2008, 01:35 PM
I'm having the hardest time taking pitures of this tank because of the shape but here's what I got.
They seem very happy after 2 months in their new home. :D

Eddie
12-12-2008, 07:37 PM
Wow, beautiful tank, the discus look super nice and healthy. Best of luck with them. What are strain is the yellowish one? I think its the same one in your avatar. I really like that one alot. :)

Eddie

Autumn Wind
12-13-2008, 01:47 PM
Wow, beautiful tank, the discus look super nice and healthy. Best of luck with them. What are strain is the yellowish one? I think its the same one in your avatar. I really like that one alot. :)

Eddie

Thanks Eddie!
Yep it is the same fish in my avitar. It's a Golden Albino from Tony Tan via they great Kenny. He is my slowest grower for sure but I think he's doing OK since his eye size and shape remain good.

Patr1ck
12-14-2008, 01:34 AM
Hey great tank. What are those 2 cone things on the top of the water? Also what type of moss is that growing on the wood?

Thanks,
P

Autumn Wind
12-15-2008, 01:30 PM
Hey great tank. What are those 2 cone things on the top of the water? Also what type of moss is that growing on the wood?

Thanks,
P

Thank you! the cone things are worm feeders, I use them to feed frozen bloodworm and brine shrimp.

The moss I'm not entrely sure because I didn't plant it but my best guess is I have a few of those moss balls in there and I remember breaking one up awhile back and maybe it released spores. The texture is identical to the moss ball and if left to grow it starts forming a mass away from the wood. Now that I think about it maybe I should let one of them go and see what happens.

Patr1ck
12-15-2008, 02:35 PM
Thank you! the cone things are worm feeders, I use them to feed frozen bloodworm and brine shrimp.

The moss I'm not entrely sure because I didn't plant it but my best guess is I have a few of those moss balls in there and I remember breaking one up awhile back and maybe it released spores. The texture is identical to the moss ball and if left to grow it starts forming a mass away from the wood. Now that I think about it maybe I should let one of them go and see what happens.

Let me know what happens with the moss. Also, do those feeders float up there?

P

Autumn Wind
12-18-2008, 06:34 PM
Let me know what happens with the moss. Also, do those feeders float up there?

P

Will do! The cones are attached by suction cup.
Here is a link with a picture of what it looks like;
http://www.aquariumguys.com/lees-worm-feeder.html
I use them for FBW and FBS keeps things a lot messy since they have to pull the food through the holes and having two of them keeps them from fighting.

Patr1ck
12-19-2008, 03:34 AM
Will do! The cones are attached by suction cup.
Here is a link with a picture of what it looks like;
http://www.aquariumguys.com/lees-worm-feeder.html
I use them for FBW and FBS keeps things a lot messy since they have to pull the food through the holes and having two of them keeps them from fighting.

Thank you, thats a great idea. I see how they can really keep things less messy.

P

GrillMaster
12-19-2008, 08:57 AM
You did a great job on the tank! Looks like the discus had no problems at all with the transition. Yer gonna keep us updated I hope. :)