PDA

View Full Version : All the fish have cloudy eyes

Snuffy
08-27-2008, 07:01 PM
Hello All

I need some advice and a remedy for what I found when I got home this evening from work. Let me start from yesterday my house had a smell of sulfur last night but I didn't think it was a big deal and I was planing a water change anyway, so I changed the water and all the fish seemed fine. I had changed from amquel plus to stress coat cause I ran out of amquel could this be my problem? I got home tonight and found all my little guys distressed, with cloudy eyes and white patches on there fins and all swimming near the surface everyone was a mess. I lost a Cory cat but everyone else is hanging in there at the moment. My initial reaction was to do another water change and as I am typing the tank is refilling with water I have had in my water storage containers since yesterday and the water in the tanks is heated to 87 degres so it will match my tank temp, I usually do a 85% water change on a 150 gallon tank. So my question to the forum is what do you think might have caused this to happen and how can I correct the problem with as little stress on the fish as possible? Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You All

Graham
08-27-2008, 07:27 PM
''...had changed from amquel plus to stress coat...''

The odds are pretty good that the change caused it. Stress Coat has Aloe Vera in it...it Coats.........while API doesn't say, it probably nothing more that sodium thiosulfate in it...a very basic de-chlor

Now having said that...does this tank have gravel...deep gravel?? ...how poften is the mechanical filter cleaned?

Sulphur smell can be hydrogen sulfide coming out of dirty gravel or filters and is extremely toxic to fish even at low concentrations

Snuffy
08-27-2008, 09:07 PM
Hello Graham

I thought the sudden change of additives might have caused the problem. I actually have a bare bottom tank with a eheim 3 filter and a large penguin
hang on filter and 2 very large sponge filters powered by one of 2 azoo battery back up air pumps. I did the water changed and added new carbon to the penguin filter and cleaned and rinsed the eheim and found that the eheim white filter was pretty clean but the very bottom of the eheim canister was filled with jet black sediment that smelled like the same smell that was in the air of the house. I rinsed out the canister lightly not to disturb any good bacteria that might be there and added new chemi-pure packs and nitra -zorb packs and closed it up and started it back up.They seem to be doing better and a few of them actually lost some of the cloudiness they were showing earlier.Should I add aquarium salt

Thanks For the Help Graham.

Graham
08-28-2008, 08:20 AM
Hi, I wouldn't worry about salt at this point. That black crud was anaerobic and when disturbed released some hydrogen sulfide into the water...not a good thing. Enough of it would have killed the fish.

Clean the mechanical section of the filter more often

G

Snuffy
08-29-2008, 07:36 AM
Hello Graham

Thanks for the advice I have been doing full water changes every night and they seem to be bouncing back. Some are 100% better and a few still have a sleight haze on there eye but i think they are getting better. Here is another question do I have to add a chlorine remover if i am using water that was kept in a container for 24 hours?
Thanks for all your help

Graham
08-29-2008, 11:04 AM
''...Here is another question do I have to add a chlorine remover if i am using water that was kept in a container for 24 hours?...''

Aging water is no guarantee that the chlorine will be gone. Using an anirstone will help. Chlorine levels vary from area to area within a city and the closer to the treatment plant the higher the levels. Levels also vary depending on the time of the year, rainfall etc.

Also if your city adds chloramines then aging doesn't help a thing

Sodium thiosulfate is dirt cheap, so I would use it

Don Trinko
08-30-2008, 11:20 AM
I got a clorine test kit.( for poolls and spas) I tested my water from the tap (.2 I think) and the next morning (0) . You could do a similar test. Don T.