PDA

View Full Version : Hows this sound??

finaddictfred
08-28-2008, 08:34 PM
I have a 125 gal. with the following list in it and need advice on how many Discus I can add and what mates can stay or should go.
1- Goyder River Rainbow 5.5"
1- Bosemani Rainbow 4"
1- Irian Rainbow 3.5"
1- Praecox 2.75"
1- Juli Cory
1- Royal Plec 5"
2- Clown Loaches 4"
2- Gold Algae Eaters
5- Rummy Nose
15- Longfin Leopard Danios
I'm thinking that the Danios can go along with the algae eaters and possibly the plec..don't want any of them attaching to the Discus. So if anyone has a similar set up or can offer reliable data about this I'd be grateful.
I'll be running a wet dry with RO water and planting the tank fairly heavy.
Thanks for any advice and stories
Fred

finaddictfred
09-12-2008, 06:14 PM
57 views and no replies. hmm

dan3949
09-12-2008, 07:52 PM
I also have recently setup a 125 gal discus tank. I have spent a couple of months researching tank mates. I can give you the results of my research, and what I plan to do and what I learned.

1. Rainbows - I did not find many recommendations for these to be discus tankmates. I don't think they are recommended.

2. Julii Cory - Good tankmate. However this is a schooling fish and should be kept in groups of at least 6 (8 is better). I plan on having 8 Sterbi Corys.

3. Royal Plec - I don't think it can take the high tank temp that discus need. There are a few Plecs that can, the Bushynose is probably the most popular. I plan on having 2.

4. Clown Loach - Not good with discus

5. Gold Algae Eater - Not very good tank mate. Siamese algae eater is a popular tankmate.

6. Rummynose Tetra - Excellent tankmate. These are also schooling fish and need at least 6-8. I plan to have a school of 20.

7. Danio - Not a good tankmate.

The above is based on reviwing many posts in this forum. As always, you will find many varying opinions.

Other excellent tankmates that many folks recommend include:

German Blue Rams
Ottocinclus
Hatchetfish
Kohli Loach

Putting young/small discus in a heavily planted tank is very strongly discouraged by almost everyone. Only adult discus (6") should be in a planted tank.

I have a tank with 12 plants in pots. I have a very thin (1 rock thick) layer of gravel. I recently (like today) added 8 discus ranging from 3.5-4". I am hoping I can keep the water/tank clean with 4-5 daily feedings. If I have problems, I will remove all gravel (I hate the look of a bare bottom tank) and try to keep as many plants as possible. My tank has an auto drip that will change up to 100% of the water daily. I will also vacuum the gravel at leaset 2X/week. Hopefully I can keep the nitrates below 10 ppm with my current setup.

finaddictfred
09-12-2008, 08:07 PM
Thanks Dan. That helps out a bunch. I guess I'm probably not going to be adding Discus to this set up.

ShinShin
09-19-2008, 01:57 AM
The Royal pleco and the rummynose would be the only fish that would be suitable for a discus tank.Mat

nirvana85
09-23-2008, 12:27 AM
Dan,

I recently added to discus fish about 3'' each to my 55 gallon tank. I wanted to know why having the discus is a planted aquarium is discouraged since it is the first time i have discus. I also have 2 clown loaches in there. I have had the discus for about a month now and they seem to be doing very well. They eat and look very healthy. I saw that you did not find much information on discus with rainbow fish. The only thing i can tell you is that i also have a salmon red rainbowfish in with my discus and they seem to be doing perfectly fine. it is a very peaceful rainbow fish.

Crstfr
09-23-2008, 04:11 PM
The Royal pleco and the rummynose would be the only fish that would be suitable for a discus tank.Mat

man.. royal line's rock... they will clean up some driftwood!. rummie's soon to come!

Crstfr
09-23-2008, 04:17 PM
Dan,

I wanted to know why having the discus is a planted aquarium is discouraged since it is the first time i have discus.

i want to know this too... those BB tanks look crapy~.. IMO....anyone can have a BB tank.add water and chunck fish in... i think the real pride in owning a fishtank is the aquascape~.... you own personal touch.... IMO again~

Fishguy2727
09-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Leopard danios are a coolwater fish, fine in room temp. They do not do as well in tropical temps and I don't want to know what discus temps would do.

BB is easier to clean. I use sand which is just as easy to clean but looks a lot better and it more natural.

I would not trust gold algae eaters in with discus (among other targets they would latch on to).