PDA

View Full Version : Heater

ncyracer
08-29-2008, 12:38 PM
Ive had a great heater for years but i think shes dying on me. i plan on upgrading the discus tank should i use two, if so which one(s) is the way to go without spending to much.:)

Rick Hunter
08-29-2008, 12:42 PM
The idea thing is to buy two high quality heaters.

I would buy either EBO or Stealth heaters.

The mailorder price is about $20 each plus shipping.

casw
08-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Also, I think 3 watts per gallon would be ideal, even if you live in such a nice climate!
So if you had a 100 gallon tank, 2 heaters with 150 watts each should more than cover your needs.

ncyracer
08-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Cool thanks what about 50 gallon in watts

Rick Hunter
08-29-2008, 06:03 PM
The required watts needed depends on the difference between the target temperature of the tank (about 82-84 degrees) and the ambient temperture at night or in the winter. I usually use 3-5 watts/gal. There are a few on line calculators that can be used as a guide and the package of the heater has the recommended tank size the heater should be used for under normal conditions.

ncyracer
08-29-2008, 06:05 PM
The required watts needed depends on the difference between the target temperature of the tank (about 82-84 degrees) and the ambient temperture at night or in the winter. I usually use 3-5 watts/gal. There are a few on line calculators that can be used as a guide and the package of the heater has the recommended tank size the heater should be used for under normal conditions.

Thank you Rick.
Ivo

GrillMaster
08-29-2008, 09:57 PM
Try and use 2 smaller heaters for the tank. If one happens to stick, your fish wont get roasted. If you need 300W to heat a tank, use 2 150W heaters. :)

Apistomaster
08-30-2008, 11:59 PM
I never have subscribed to the two heaters are better than one but that is a dead horse.
However, I happen to use Stealth Heaters on all my aquariums and have been using them since they came out.
I also now own a box of about 10 of them that don't work in the following 3 ways.
1.Stopped heating.
2. Wont' turn off.
3 are stuck at 74*F and no adjustment makes any difference.

I am still a Stealth heater customer because I like them very much when they work and they do blend in to the background in a display tank well. The can take quite a beating including running dry fairly well. I have never had one shatter and cause electrical shocks like the glass tube designs all do when they break.
I buy 100 watt heaters and use them on all my tanks from 4.5 gal small spawning tanks to 40 gal breeders. I use 300 watt Stealth heaters for tanks over 40 gal to 125 gallons.
The reason I still buy Stealth Heaters despite their relatively high failure rates is that their failure rate are no worse than any other comparably priced heater.
Aquarium heaters are among the most poorly designed of necessary aquarium accessories.

ncyracer
08-31-2008, 04:57 AM
I never have subscribed to the two heaters are better than one but that is a dead horse.
However, I happen to use Stealth Heaters on all my aquariums and have been using them since they came out.
I also now own a box of about 10 of them that don't work in the following 3 ways.
1.Stopped heating.
2. Wont' turn off.
3 are stuck at 74*F and no adjustment makes any difference.

I am still a Stealth heater customer because I like them very much when they work and they do blend in to the background in a display tank well. The can take quite a beating including running dry fairly well. I have never had one shatter and cause electrical shocks like the glass tube designs all do when they break.
I buy 100 watt heaters and use them on all my tanks from 4.5 gal small spawning tanks to 40 gal breeders. I use 300 watt Stealth heaters for tanks over 40 gal to 125 gallons.
The reason I still buy Stealth Heaters despite their relatively high failure rates is that their failure rate are no worse than any other comparably priced heater.
Aquarium heaters are among the most poorly designed of necessary aquarium accessories.

Now that was insight thank you:D

Don Trinko
08-31-2008, 07:22 AM
I had been ussing the theo but had many with moisture in them and sticking.
I switched the the visotherm stealth. They have a lifetime guarantee. I called them when the 1st failed (wouldn't go higher than 83) they sent me a new one no questions asked. So far the others (I think 6) are all working. As I have a problem I am replacing all of them with stealths. The only negative is that ; 1. they have no light to tell if they are on and 2. They are vary tall per watt. I'm not sure if they will work in my Betta tanks. Don T.

Apistomaster
08-31-2008, 02:43 PM
Hi Don,
I had the same experience with the one 300 watt Theo Heater I bought before it stopped working.

And I also really miss not having a pilot light built into the Stealth heaters.

Don Trinko
08-31-2008, 08:57 PM
Yes, I miss the pilot light. It does get you to check the tank temp regularly.
I have 1 of the visotherm non stealth. It has a pilot light and so far it has given me no trouble. None of the visotherms are short enough for my betta tanks so I still use the theo 25 watts in them. Don T.