PDA

View Full Version : Need Help in co2 tank

disvegas
09-02-2008, 12:16 AM
I am planning to convert my 90g tank into a planted one. And happen to see on Craigslist having some used oxygen tanks at attractive prices, but wondering if those would be the same as the ones used by the aquarium hobbyists. Please see the attached link and your input is great appreciated. Thanks.
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/for/822624151.html

Collin,

susantroy1
09-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Sorry Colin, Didn't see your post until now.

I'm afraid that those will not work as the couplers are different sized than the C02 Couplers. If your looking to go pressurized, I would recommend a local welding supply shop. I bought a 10 lb bottle and had it filled for $85. that may seem like allot but the benefit is you get to keep the bottle. There was an upside to my situation as well... last time I went for a refill. seemed that the owner was out of filled 10 LB bottles and offered me a 20 LB for $21. I normally spent $16-18 to fill the 10 LB. So I walked out without the cost of having to by a 20LB bottle:) I think he knows he has my business.

All The Best

Troy

Wahter
09-06-2008, 11:11 AM
Collin,

Many places (like welding shops) will 'rent out' tanks - you just swap out tanks when you go in for a refill. One big benefit of this is that you should be getting a tank that has been inspected/ cleaned out inside periodically, rather than if you owned your own tank (which you would have pay to periodically have them inspected and cleaned). They usually swap out steel tanks with the steel tanks only.

I have aluminum alloy tanks that I bought from a restaurant supply shop (Superior Products (http://www.superprod.com/)) and have to get them inspected/ cleaned out every few years. The welding shops around here only do the swap outs, so I end up having to go to fire extinguisher shops to get mine filled up.

Hope that helps,

Walter

disvegas
09-15-2008, 06:07 PM
Hi Troy & Walter,

Sorry for the late reply and thanks a lot for your insights. i was glad i asked before making a move. i think it's a good idea to check out the welding supply places for the canister, as advised by Walter. Thanks again.

Collin,

Crstfr
09-16-2008, 08:56 AM
i bought a 5lb bottle for 79 bucks at a local brewing company. I fill it every 6-7 mths for about 11 bucks. I run it on a 72gal bowfront.