PDA

View Full Version : Male vs Female Discus

Hungriee
09-02-2008, 12:12 PM
How do you distinguish sex of the discus? What characteristics do you look for?

I just purchased two new discus sold as a pair but they don't swim together; and don't look too alike either. One of them hangs out with the the other pair.

Second, I think they are still scared in my tank and hide behind my driftwood and plants, haven't ate any food yet but swims when I'm away. Hopefully they pick on the food when I'm away.

Don Trinko
09-02-2008, 04:44 PM
It is difficult even for experts to tell male from female unless they are acctualy spawning. Some can give an educated guess but most are just guessing. Don T.

ncyracer
09-11-2008, 09:52 PM
There are few ways and most arent even worth looking for. Just wait and see its almost impossible to tell.

Wahter
09-11-2008, 11:00 PM
What are the sizes of these fish? Were they sold to you as a proven pair?

Walter

deanne
09-17-2008, 10:33 AM
There's a lot of information on this forum on the topic. Search on "sexing" and "gender". Check out http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=55248 and http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=62163 for example. I've read mention of fin shape, behavioral characteristics, and ovipositor size and shape. And then the more expert people always say you can't tell until you actually see eggs coming out of one of them!

Personally I like to watch behavior and try to guess who's who from that.

d

AADiscus
09-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Just because they were sold as a proven pair does not mean they will spawn for you. Give them some time to get settled in. Also, in a planted tank they have plenty of spots they can hide and hang. If they are in a bb tank they do not have that and are kinda forced to hang out where you can see and watch them.

Apistomaster
09-22-2008, 10:07 PM
Even though they are still new and adjusting to their new tank, if they were truly a mated pair, they would usually hide and generally act shy together and not by each one acting independently. Sounds like you have two discus with no existing pair bond.

Sexing Discus is an art and is never 100% accurate among even the most experienced of us.

For now, I recommend that you focus on making sure they are eating. It may help to feed them lightly when the tank light is off but the room is lit, ie during the day. Healthy discus will not starve long.
Be very careful to not allow any uneaten non-living foods to accumulate and spoil. If you have access to a supply of live black worms that would be a good food to feed them since any uneaten worms will stay alive in the substrate where eventually a Corydoras or similar fish will catch and eat any escapees.

In any case, the discus will overcome their current shyness, usually within a few days.