PDA

View Full Version : Seeding filter... Which one?

susantroy1
09-10-2008, 06:57 PM
Hey All,

I need your advise on seeding a hard to establish Fluval 305.:mad:

Here is what I have: 140G with tide pool II wet/dry with bio wheel it is eating NH4 like theres no tomorrow:) It has a three tray media tower along with the Bio wheel. I assume the bio wheel is really the workhorse for the N bacteria heres a pic:
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd310/susantroy1/tidepool-2a.jpg

I also have one tray that is packed full of bio cylinders that I put in there when I first fired this thing up. This filter is now fully cycled and really kicking butt.
I also have my grow out 55G with a sponge and Fluval 305, I have somehow diminished the bio capabilities of this Fluval. (always been a pain in my side) I also just added another sump with fresh Bio balls (suitable for up to 100G tanks) with the goal of bringing the fluval off line after the sump comes up to speed.
Here is my question.. I'm experiencing elevated NH4 levels with the grow out tank and 0 N02 levels. (may have lost my cycle somehow???/):flame: I want to add the Bio cylinders from the 180g, but should I add the cylinders to the fluval 305s tray (one of the trays in the Fluval already has Bio media) or the drip tray in the sump. The reason I ask is the bio media came out of the drip tray from the 180 which gets full 02/H20 exchange and the Fluval only gets 02 that is in the water column pumped through the canister. will I harm the bio cylinders if I use half in the Fluval canister? As I believe that I have enough media to load both with some to spare. I just don't want to damage any by fully submerging the Bio Cylinders that were developed with full 02 exchange.

All the best

Troy