PDA

View Full Version : Parrot Mouth Discus

trebor69
09-14-2008, 02:50 PM
In Andrew Soh's book The Naked Truth he has several sketches of the different shapes you commonly see in discus. On page 20 he describes what he calls a 'parrot mouth forehead'. Basically he is describing a discus with a slight 'dent' in the forehead just above the eye often accompanied by a double chin.

He says the 'parrot mouth' is caused by the body outgrowing the head and as the body expands vertically the discus take on this parrot mouth shape.

He has deemed it a Non-genetic issue and says the cause of it is heavy feeding with a diet high in fat content.

I was just wondering how many of you agree/disagree with that assessment?

Also...is it a reversible condition? Or will a discus ever fillout as it gets older?

trebor69
09-14-2008, 02:53 PM
ooops I somehow managed to put this in the beginners section

if a mod feels so inclined please move it to a more appropriate section :D

Rod
09-14-2008, 03:37 PM
disagree here, i am thinking a genetic problem and a breeders problem. :) The breeder should have culled parrot mouths...butt ugly.

susantroy1
09-16-2008, 07:16 PM
Rod,

Do you happen to have any pics of a parrot faced juvie?? I've never seen one and would be interested in what one looks like. Anybody??? If not than Andrew Soh may have something.... as I can see how we emphasize extreme feeding regiments while the discus are in the developmental stages

All The best

Troy