PDA

View Full Version : new tank questions

mcsinny99
09-16-2008, 12:40 AM
Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum and I would like to dive in with some critiques from the people here. I have decided to plant a 75 gallon tank and in a month or so start adding discus (start with 2 then moving up to 6-7). I think my aquascape needs some work and I was also wondering what a good time to put the tetra's in is, if at all, as an indicator fish. My local lfs has sickly german blue rams, so I have given up on those (die in quarantine), but I did add 3 clowns to eradicate ramshorn snails and otto's to eat the algae. Tank should take a month to mature.

I have 2 48 inch t5 lights at 6700k and a 48 standard florescent. (I was thinking pennywort and the driftwood would make for some shady spots.)

Running pressurized co2 and a timer with the photo period 12 hrs daily(2-3 bubbles second). Still waiting on backordered co2 indicator, but i would guess it's around 30.
Nitrates are around 10-15 ppm and I am thinking water changes and plants will bring this to nil in a week.
Amonia has already spiked and is next to nothing. Ph is about 6.9, which I am still fiddling with as co2 messes with it (and buffer, phosphates, etc.
Temp is 82.

Any way pics are here:
http://photobucket.com/mcsinny99

Thanks for looking :grin:

Ryan
09-16-2008, 09:51 AM
I don't know anything about planted tanks, but my suggestion would be to add all the discus at once if your biofilter can handle it. Adding a few at a time has disadvantages. Usually, buying two young discus leads to problems. The dominant fish will pick on the submissive fish and stress it out. This also happens sometimes if you have three fish. It's usually best to start them in groups of four to six. There is also the issue of quarantine -- buying all your discus at once from the same source eliminates the need for six weeks of quarantine.

Will you be buying larger discus or smaller ones?

Don Trinko
09-16-2008, 11:02 AM
As Ryan said plus, I try to buy all my discus for one tank at the same time. That way they get moved less and they are in their permanent home. When you add a few at a time without Quarantee you have a high risk of disease.
Discus are somewhat social and do better with 5 or more. They are cicklids and there will be a pecking order.
All my plants are fake so I can't help on that but I have read threads where the CO2 causes PH swings when things go wrong.
Make sure your tank is fully cycled and be prepaired for possible ammonia and nitrite spikes just in case. Don T.

Crstfr
09-16-2008, 03:00 PM
i have a 72 Heavy planted tank, and i like you were working to set it up as a discus tank. .yesterday i introduce 2 red scribbler's, and today i'll introduce my 3rd.. I'd agree with Ryan, and wish i had the coin to add a small group.. 5-6.. but here they run from 29.99 - 50ish for selected 2.5' discus... but i'm going to try to get all of my group within a month. I dont think to much of it, as i'll try and introduce the same size as the one's currently in the tank. i also run C02, have pennywort and a huge peice of driftwood.

mcsinny99
09-16-2008, 04:03 PM
I found a place to get a good deal on discus (centralohiodiscus), but the groups of 5 are all the same. Variety is the spice of life see...
And yes it's a little pricey to drop 200 bones on 4 fish at my local lfs, especially since they offer no guarantee's. I bought a Han's Santerem there that refused to eat until it died. I asked them for advice, trade, whatever and they had nothing to do with it (great company). Ah, well guess I'll just have to drop the cash.

mcsinny99
09-16-2008, 04:07 PM
I don't know anything about planted tanks, but my suggestion would be to add all the discus at once if your biofilter can handle it. Adding a few at a time has disadvantages. Usually, buying two young discus leads to problems. The dominant fish will pick on the submissive fish and stress it out. This also happens sometimes if you have three fish. It's usually best to start them in groups of four to six. There is also the issue of quarantine -- buying all your discus at once from the same source eliminates the need for six weeks of quarantine.

Will you be buying larger discus or smaller ones?

I am thinking 3.5 inch on the size. Does anyone know of a good place to get 4 3.5 inch in more than one color other than lfs?

Graham
09-16-2008, 04:23 PM
Beside using the sponsors on the web site, where are you located. There maybe a breeder close by

Ryan
09-16-2008, 04:35 PM
Discus aren't exactly cheap, but if you're going to pay a ton of money for LFS fish that may be unreliable then it's probably best to drop the same amount on a sponsor or a local breeder with good reviews and high quality stock.

One thing I can tell you is that starting with high quality, reliable fish is going to save you a lot of money in the long-run. If you start with fish of questionable health, you may spend a lot of money on medications or treatments to see them die anyway. If you end up with runted/stunted fish, you're going to invest a lot of time and food (which equals money) into fish which may never have the chance of reaching their full potential.

Browse through the Sponsors section and the Livestock Reviews section here. Learn who to avoid and who to consider. If possible, see if you're within driving distance from a breeder or importer and hand-pick your fish in person. You will also be able to ask questions and see lots of pretty fish. ;)

Stormy
09-16-2008, 05:11 PM
One thing I can tell you is that starting with high quality, reliable fish is going to save you a lot of money in the long-run. If you start with fish of questionable health, you may spend a lot of money on medications or treatments to see them die anyway. If you end up with runted/stunted fish, you're going to invest a lot of time and food (which equals money) into fish which may never have the chance of reaching their full potential.

;)

Very good advice, this is exactly what happened to me with my first Discus that were store bought. Out of 6 I have one survivor from the original batch and that one will most likely be a runt. I spent a good deal of cash on meds only to watch all but one die. I was heartbroken. If not for that one survivor I would have bailed on Discus for good. I got another 8 from a breeder and have not had one problem. Huge difference.

Don Trinko
09-16-2008, 06:49 PM
I have been to Central Ohio Discus 3 or 4 times. Mike has nice fish and good prices. If you live close enought to visit Mike I would recomend it. I'm fairly sure he will let you mix fish. ( even if he ships them they normaly put one to a bag) Call him on the phone and talk to him. Don T.

mcsinny99
09-16-2008, 11:14 PM
Thanks for tips everyone, I am located in Des Moines, so an afternoon drive to Ohio isn't really an option. Does anyone know of a breeder anywhere near here?
The lfs will only carry 12 species as well, just asked tonight. He doesn't get the deal with variety. And yes I realize this is an expensive hobby, between plants, fish, lights, co2, filters, tanks and so forth I am in it deep :). Just want to get what I pay for.

mcsinny99
09-16-2008, 11:19 PM
I have been to Central Ohio Discus 3 or 4 times. Mike has nice fish and good prices. If you live close enought to visit Mike I would recomend it. I'm fairly sure he will let you mix fish. ( even if he ships them they normaly put one to a bag) Call him on the phone and talk to him. Don T.

Think I might give him a call. Does he guarantee his shipments?

White Worm
09-16-2008, 11:31 PM
Browse the sponsor section here because just about all will guarantee live arrival and you can find the variety you are looking for. Wait for Kennys next shipment and you wont be disappointed.

dan3949
09-16-2008, 11:42 PM
+1000 on purchasing from Kenny.

You will not be disappointed. I just purchased 8 fish from him. It was cheaper than buying from the LFS and the quality, customer service, and overall buying experience was amazing. Unless you can drive to one of the sponsors facilities, I would strongly recommend purchasing from Kenny's next shipment.

Check out his latest thread (Sept shipment). Even though it is hard to believe, all the compliments are accurate and if anything understate how good a discus supplier he is.

As I stated before, I would hate to be a competitor of Kenny!

mcsinny99
09-17-2008, 12:00 AM
Kenny huh? Think I'll give him a look, any pics from happy customer's deliveries? :D

Ryan
09-17-2008, 01:36 AM
Go to the Sponsors (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42) section here on the site and you'll find pictures and testimonials from customers. There are also some in the Livestock Reviews (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106) board and probably in the Photo Gallery (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41) as well.

Kenny and Mike have both had a nice variety of fish available in the recent months. There are several people selling domestically bred discus as well, but they probably focus on a smaller number of strains. If you're looking for a larger variety, Kenny and Mike definitely have that.

mcsinny99
09-17-2008, 07:16 PM
Go to the Sponsors (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42) section here on the site and you'll find pictures and testimonials from customers. There are also some in the Livestock Reviews (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106) board and probably in the Photo Gallery (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41) as well.

Kenny and Mike have both had a nice variety of fish available in the recent months. There are several people selling domestically bred discus as well, but they probably focus on a smaller number of strains. If you're looking for a larger variety, Kenny and Mike definitely have that.

Don't suppose you know of any breeders any closer to Des Moines? I would really prefer to pick them in person...

mcsinny99
09-17-2008, 10:31 PM

Some local breeders websites claim the majority of imported discus are fed or injected with hormones. I am assuming this is not the case with Kenny or Mike?

Ryan
09-18-2008, 08:56 AM
Don't suppose you know of any breeders any closer to Des Moines? I would really prefer to pick them in person...

I don't know of any off-hand. Check out The Community section for other hobbyists in or around your area.