PDA

View Full Version : eyes gots da declorination blues....

sdshawn
09-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Good Morning all,

A quick question for all the more experienced hobbiest out there...

I have a 150 planted aquarium and try to do 60% wc every 2-3 days as time allows. I'm currently going through a ton of declorinator. I've been thinking of getting a large plastic trash can (new, or course) to age my water in. How long will I need to age the H2O to have the clorine dissapate? Is this effective, or should I add some declorinator just to be safe?

Also, on a totally seperate note. I think that some of my discus may be stunted as I've had them for about 4 months and have only slightly more that doubled in size from the 50 piece size I bought them at. Their coloration has matured, but that's about it.

I feed about 5x's per day a mix of flake, bs, bw, and bh. Any suggestions, or should I start over.

Ryan
09-16-2008, 04:26 PM
I have a 150 planted aquarium and try to do 60% wc every 2-3 days as time allows. I'm currently going through a ton of declorinator. I've been thinking of getting a large plastic trash can (new, or course) to age my water in. How long will I need to age the H2O to have the clorine dissapate? Is this effective, or should I add some declorinator just to be safe?

It really depends on your source water. If you aerate the water overnight in a trash can or storage container with surface agitation (using a water pump or strong airline), it should off-gas. That's mainly for water that's strictly chlorinated.

As far as I'm aware, chloramines do not work the same way. Even if the chlorine dissipates, you are still left with ammonia. This needs to be removed with a dechlor product or with cycled filters. I guess you could always keep cycled sponges in your storage bins, but the dechlor is probably an easier and more reliable method.

A tip for you is to buy the pond versions of Prime or Amquel Plus. They sell them in big jugs, I think gallon-sized. It's a lot more affordable to buy the large bottles.

Also, on a totally seperate note. I think that some of my discus may be stunted as I've had them for about 4 months and have only slightly more that doubled in size from the 50 piece size I bought them at. Their coloration has matured, but that's about it.

I feed about 5x's per day a mix of flake, bs, bw, and bh. Any suggestions, or should I start over.

Do you know how old the fish were when you got them (i.e., were they from a breeder/importer who knows when they were hatched approximately)? Discus grow pretty rapidly up until about 3.5", then it slows down for a little while until another growth spurt later on. I thought mine were going to be 3.5" or 4" forever and then one day they just blossomed in a way.

There is always the chance that something put them a bit behind. If you could post pictures, we might be able to give you a better idea as to whether they look stunted/runted or not.

Ryan

Tropical Haven
09-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Chlorine in a 55 gallon size drum with good airation will get rid of the chlorine in 12 to 24 hours. If you have chloramines in your water this will not get rid of it. As Ryan stated you would need a chemical like Prime to get rid of it.

Apistomaster
09-17-2008, 12:46 AM
I use Prime. It is very reasonably priced when purchased in 1/2 gal jugs or more. So little Prime is required to dechlorinate/dechloraminate tap water.

I normally change 2/3 my aquariums' water twice a week. I add the proper dose of Prime to them and then fill the tanks up directly from the tap. Been doing it this way a long time and only the product has changed over the years. There is very little to be gained from storing water for the purpose of "aging" it unless you are also making other adjustments like pH where it may take some time for the equilibrium to be established as the effects of buffering may take some time before the final stable pH may be measured accurately.

sdshawn
09-17-2008, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the input e1. I'll find a pond supply to buy prime in larger quanities. I've always filled the a bucket and then declorinated it b4 adding it to the aquarium. I was alway parinoid of killing the fish. Good to know you can fill directly from the tap. That's going to do wonders for the lower back.:guitarist: