PDA

View Full Version : WooHoo! My 1yr discus anniversary!

back 2 discus biz
09-20-2008, 10:52 AM
Hi folks,

My 1 yr anniversary for my group of eight will be 9-28. They are all happy, healthy, and quite a bit larger. No losses.

Call me foolish but I really am thinking of putting six rummy-nosed tetras and six cardinals in next month. My discus have taken 3 treatments with Parasite Clear during their lives with zero signs of stress so I might treat the tank when the new fish are added. I know - I know but I don't have a quarantine tank.

My greatest fear (ignoring the possibility of total fish wipeout) would be the discus eating or killing them. Years ago when I had discus I tried this and every morning I had about three new tetra deaths. I think the discus were striking at them in the early morning hours.

Do you think 8 adult discus and 12 tetras is too much of a load for a 90 gallon? Due to my expanded travels I change 90% weekly. I have two Magnum 350's - 1 bio and 1 ammo chips. Aerator on max. This has been the schedule for several months and everybody seems quite happy and hungry.

Thoughts?

Paul

chemjab
09-20-2008, 01:22 PM
Congratulations on your anniversary.:D I am at my 6 month now.

The cardinals should be fine, although I would double the # to 12 or even 15. Most likely you will loose some as they adjust to your enviroment. I believe they will feel less stress and adapt better in a larger group.
I bought a group of 50 cards about 5 months ago and have around 35-40 left. Hope the attrition is complete. They are too big for the discus to eat, so they don't even try.
I also have 6 serpae tetra (think that is sp right).
Don't have personal experience with rummy nose, but have read many post that claim they are great tank mates.

PS. Forgot to say that Julie Cristie from Frybabies.com has good quality cardinals for right around a buck each. That's where I got mine.

James