PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Setting Up New Planted Tank.

Mike2685
09-20-2008, 07:36 PM
Hi everyone,

I want to setup a new 40g corner planted tank. I have some Anubias Nana/Petiete and Java Fern growing in my 20g. I would take basically my 20g and put it into the 40g so it's not completely new.

I wanted to do a good setup, and would like some recommendations about what to put in there. Here are my questions if you can help me.

What type of substrate/gravel do you recommend?

What type of lighting, watts?

What type of plant food do you recommend?

I would like to do CO2 but don't have the space, but what about this:
The Turbo CO2 Bio System by Red Sea? Is that any good?

I plan to use a Fluval 305, have Cardinals and Rummy Nose Tetras and maybe moving my discus into it, just a few sub adults.

I've always like aquascaping and have always done good with most plants, so I would like to try my hand at this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

White Worm
09-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Hi everyone,

I want to setup a new 40g corner planted tank. I have some Anubias Nana/Petiete and Java Fern growing in my 20g. I would take basically my 20g and put it into the 40g so it's not completely new.

I wanted to do a good setup, and would like some recommendations about what to put in there. Here are my questions if you can help me.

I plan to use a Fluval 305, have Cardinals and Rummy Nose Tetras and maybe moving my discus into it, just a few sub adults.

I've always like aquascaping and have always done good with most plants, so I would like to try my hand at this.

Thanks
Mike

I use flourite for the substrate in my planted tank.
2-4 WPG is good lighting
I use dry ferts (EI Method) plus pressurized CO2.

mcsinny99
09-21-2008, 07:39 PM
Hi everyone,

Thanks
Mike

Don't buy that co2 system, all your getting is a 35 dollar bottle with some yeast and sugar. If you google diy co2 you can find the recipes for that. Pressurized is better, and you're kind of on the cusp of whether you should use it. The yeast method works, but is messy and you will need to run 2 2litres and change one every week or so(staggered every other week). I use t5's for my planted tank, they give plenty of light and don't blind the discus. You should stay away from metal halide's with discus. 1.5-2watts per gallon is a good place to start. Eco complete with a little flourite base is a good substrate, again I'd just google substrate and see what the best is for you. Some people like sand, as it is more natural to their biotope, but of course you have to clean whatever you put in there and I think sand is kind of messy. Good luck!

Mike2685
09-21-2008, 10:53 PM
Thanks guy's for the help. I appreciate it!!

I have been looking at ADA Soil and substrate which is expensive. Is Eco complete just as good?

mcsinny99, you said Eco complete with Flourite base, do you mean mix the 2 substrates? This is some good info.

Thanks
Mike

mcsinny99
09-21-2008, 11:21 PM
Thanks guy's for the help. I appreciate it!!

I have been looking at ADA Soil and substrate which is expensive. Is Eco complete just as good?

mcsinny99, you said Eco complete with Flourite base, do you mean mix the 2 substrates? This is some good info.

Thanks
Mike

I meant eco complete over flourite. I get mixed info on the ADA stuff (some defect bags, cloudiness etc.), but one thing is certain-price.:D I don't think ADA makes anything with a reasonable price tag on it, and all of my plants seem to do fantastic. Keeping up on your ferts is the big thing. I do liquid dosing on top of tabs.
You should check out Tom Barr's website. Also if you save all that money on substrate you could get the good CO2(pressurized):D.