PDA

View Full Version : Rena XP3 vs. Eheim 2126 II Thermofilter

cyang
09-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to start up my first discus tank, a 75 gallon bare bottom. I have some questions regarding filtration, however...

Should I get the Rena XP3 or the Eheim 2126 Thermofilter?

The XP3 is cheaper, but is it as trustworthy as Eheim?

Has anyone had experience with the Eheim Thermofilter? Is the internal heater worth it?

I'll probably get a separate heater regardless of what canister filter I'll get...any recommendations? I heard Ebo Jaeger is pretty good.

I use a Fluval 304 on my current tank.

Thanks in advance!

April
09-21-2008, 08:26 PM
hi there. no they arent. i had 4 rena xp3's. the little blue disk that holds the impeller in rattles loose..falls off inside the canister..and..no more filter running. i took 2 back to the wholesaler..still waiting for refund or replacements..but i dont want replacements. i still have two..and they both do the same thing.
spend the money on an eheim or...use hyrdro sponges which work best for discus or an aquaclear.

cyang
09-21-2008, 08:43 PM
April,

Thanks for the help! I've been leaning towards the Eheim but I just need that push to get me to jump. I'll probably run an Aquaclear or a spongefilter in the tank along with the Eheim during grow out, but take it out once the discus are adults and feeding is less intensive.

Thanks again! Next is giving Mike at central ohio discus a call to see if I can schedule a pickup!

1Chuck9669
09-21-2008, 10:52 PM
hi there. no they arent. i had 4 rena xp3's. the little blue disk that holds the impeller in rattles loose..falls off inside the canister..and..no more filter running. i took 2 back to the wholesaler..still waiting for refund or replacements..but i dont want replacements. i still have two..and they both do the same thing.
spend the money on an eheim or...use hyrdro sponges which work best for discus or an aquaclear.

Hi April,

How long did it takle for your xp3's to fail? I have an xp4 on my 125 gallon. Anyone else have experiences like April?

Thanks,

Bobears
09-21-2008, 11:52 PM
I have 2 xp4s and 3 xp2s. I have never had one problem. I have had all these filters for two years.

geleen
09-22-2008, 07:52 AM
I have 2 xp4s and 3 xp2s. I have never had one problem. I have had all these filters for two years.

I run XP3's, one for over a year without even a hiccup. It is silent and efficient.
Just got 2 more. For the price you can't beat it.

BTW I am using plastic pot scrubbers in one.... total cost $2.00 plus a piece of filter floss for the top.
J

April
09-22-2008, 11:56 AM
well the wholesaler said they never had problems either..but i have heard it elsewhere. mine is constant. i hear a rattle..and then no flow..open it..and the disk is on top of the baskets and the impeller coming out. : ( i even tried the white tape to try hold it in. it didnt take long for it to start happening. they were virtually fairly new.
if you do use an xp3 on the discus..clean it often. any food in there and alot of gunk..the discus wont be happy. as the water is still running through all the waste etc. i rinse mine every 10 days to 2 weeks . theres still plenty of biological stuff if you give the sponges a rinse and get rid of any buildup.

brano
09-22-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm running my XP3 for little over two years with no problem at all.I should knock on wood!!! So far best filter i had in that price range

Brano

strawman
09-22-2008, 12:36 PM
I've been running my xp3 for 7 years. I just replaces the impeller this week. Other then that I've had no problems with it

1Chuck9669
09-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Hi All,

My question to you who have used the xp series successfully is do you have a prefilter on the intake?

May our therads cross again...

Apistomaster
09-22-2008, 10:55 PM
I would avoid heater filter combos even though I'm a big fan of Ehiems. Keep these functions separate. Heaters are enough trouble on their own.

1Chuck9669
09-22-2008, 10:58 PM
Hi Al,

That is why I have two heaters in my tank, with a new spare in reserve. :)

May Our Threads Cross Again...

cyang
09-23-2008, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the great advice everyone. I think I'm going to get 2 x 200 watt jagers and a temp controller from jehmco! Hopefully that is going to keep my temp stable. Again thanks for the help. Since this is my first run with disus I'm sure I'll be back for more questions and emergencies so thanks in advance!

Does anyone know how often mike at central Ohio discus gets new shipments?

GrillMaster
09-24-2008, 12:23 AM
Hey cyang, I have to jump on the XP3 bandwagon!! I have had them for 3 years, On a 75G, then 2 on a 125g. They haven't given me any problems at all. Luv em!! :D

FWIW...I wont ever buy any other filter except Rena for a planted tank, or even a biotope. I wouldn't really want to run canister filters on BB tanks though.

KimR
09-24-2008, 06:44 PM
I have 2 xp3's and 1 xp4 and have never had a problem with either of them, I am definitely happy

April
09-24-2008, 11:59 PM
well then whats wrong with mine? lol. i got lemons.

sophie68
09-25-2008, 08:02 PM
Hi,

I have both Renas and Eheims like a lot of people. I have an XP 3 for my 55 and an Eheim Pro III for my 80 and I think that the Eheim maintains a better water quality. I also have had a few problems with my XP 3. Nothing major like April but the Rena is nowhere near as well built as the Eheim. They are both good filters. I totally agree with not getting a thermofilter.
Not a smart idea. Just get a regular filter, and you can get a temp. controller at Jehmco. These are awesome!!!!! I love mine!!! Good luck!

Sophie

GrillMaster
09-25-2008, 11:05 PM
well then whats wrong with mine? lol. i got lemons.

Well Paul would back ya right up here April!! The Eheim nut that he is. I on the other hand believe ya got lemons...;) :D :D :D