PDA

View Full Version : Using a python question

Esquire
09-22-2008, 11:33 AM
I just bought a 75 ft long python and am wondering how powerful the vacum should be.
On my bare bottom tank i can get food to come off the bottom but it's very slow in going up the tube.
Small white pin head size calcium deposits won't make it up the tube.
Is this what I should expect or am I doing something wrong?

thanks

1Chuck9669
09-22-2008, 01:50 PM
Hi,

How low does your BB tank sit. When I used to vacuum my 10g rearing tanks that sat below my sink level I had problems with strength levels.

Crstfr
09-22-2008, 02:03 PM
my tank is a 72 gal bowfront, about chest high, and the python comes out of that to the ground and out to the spicket in the back yard... mine flows pretty fast~.. .. man mine pics up everything... it might be the pressure , maybe the connections to long~.. not sure. .but i have no issues..shoot.. i sucked my eel out and killed him... i've got a few shrimp too~ .. . i'm more careful now,.. it even gets old peices of grass, old snail shells.. it gobbles it~!

Esquire
09-22-2008, 02:49 PM
Mines about waste high, i called python and they said it's all in the water pressure.
More pressure = more suction.

Harriett
09-22-2008, 04:55 PM
Depends on the set up. If you are using the python by running it to the sink gadget with your faucet turned on in order to empty the tank, it's about the water pressure and it's a huge waste of water.
If you have the ability to run the python out a window into the yard/garden you will get gravity to do the work and it will empty real well and fertilize organically for free! You can also rig a pump to pull the water out of the tank faster, like a big Rio or something. I've done that too.
Good luck with this.
Harriett

1Chuck9669
09-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Once I get the water flowing out of the tank and into the sink I turn off the faucet and let gravity do its thing.

Wahter
09-22-2008, 05:08 PM
If you have the ability to run the python out a window into the yard/garden you will get gravity to do the work and it will empty real well and fertilize organically for free!

That's what I do. From the second floor down to the ground level (yard), gravity pulls the water pretty well.

Walter

MSD
09-22-2008, 05:57 PM
Take off the gravel washer tube and just use the hose, it'll flow much faster and suck up all the small particles fast. :)

Discus-n00b
09-22-2008, 08:20 PM
Take off the gravel washer tube and just use the hose, it'll flow much faster and suck up all the small particles fast. :)

This is what i do. I also crank both knobs all the way on.

Apistomaster
09-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Using tap water pressure differentials is such a wasteful way to move water and the reason why I don't like Python or other venturi siphons. For small residual heavy particles, a straight forward conventional siphon and 5 gal bucket would be the easiest for this small part of the job otherwise, using an in-line water pump is a very efficient method. I have found a Pentair Quiet One #1200 useful for this sort of thing. They only run about $25 and adding 1/2 barbed fittings should fit allow it to fit your hoses. I use one to transfer water from one tank to another to avoid having to cycle a new tank plus an already broken in sponge filter. I mentioned this only to point out that you may find the pump is useful in other ways at times.

1Chuck9669
09-22-2008, 10:39 PM
Using tap water pressure differentials is such a wasteful way to move water and the reason why I don't like Python or other venturi siphons. For small residual heavy particles, a straight forward conventional siphon and 5 gal bucket would be the easiest for this small part of the job otherwise, using an in-line water pump is a very efficient method. I have found a Pentair Quiet One #1200 useful for this sort of thing. They only run about $25 and adding 1/2 barbed fittings should fit allow it to fit your hoses. I use one to transfer water from one tank to another to avoid having to cycle a new tank plus an already broken in sponge filter. I mentioned this only to point out that you may find the pump is useful in other ways at times.

Hi Al,

I use my "quiet one" pump to transfer aged water. Now you have me thinking!!!

May Our Threads Cross Again...

Esquire
09-22-2008, 10:42 PM

Sounds like the best idea yet.
My problem is not having enough suction to clean the tank.... not about removing water.

thks

Peachtree Discus
09-23-2008, 09:53 AM
from a post about a similiar problem..

Throw it in the garbage. It doesnt create a very good suction and wastes water. .....Well, I guess you could use the POS for fill ...

at the time i could not understand why worm was saying that. after a while, i agreed. i successfully (and happily) retired mine about 2 weeks back

DiscusOnly
09-23-2008, 10:05 AM
If the bottom of you tank is waist high, gravity suction would probably works best. I too find that if the faucet is above the tank, you will have a tough time with regular water pressure. I find that I have to turn both cold and hot water to get enough suction. As other have mentioned, this wastes a lot of water.

Here is my work around. I have few quiet one pump that is used to drain the 75gal tanks quickly. I use the regular siphon tube to clean the bottom using gravity but have it drain to a 5 gal bucket. I put a quiet one pump in the 5 gal bucket to pump the water up to my PVC drain that goes to the lawn. This saves A LOT of water.