PDA

View Full Version : scum floating on top of water in tank?

uli and ria
09-23-2008, 02:38 PM
My discus are 7 months old, water conditions are fine ph normal. 12 discus in BB 110 gal tank. I clean the sides and drift wood 2-3 times a month, filters every 2-3 weeks, and the lip of the tank weekly.
Now to the question. I have had scum, clear, thin gel type matter floating at the top of the water. Is this from the discus, in other words do they shead their coating?? And if so why? thanks uli

Crstfr
09-23-2008, 03:33 PM
do you have c02 running? i have this as well when my surface skimmer is closed.. its like a milky white.. and when you run your finger through it.. it kinda floats in gobs.. i guess....but with the skimmer on.. its crystal clear.

good luck

Bobears
09-23-2008, 05:15 PM
I've had this problem when nothing was breaking the surface. Protein skimmers, bubbles from the bottom, or HOB filters are the the thing's I have used to solve the problem. Strong current from a canister was never the answer and sometimes not desired with the current setup.

judy
09-23-2008, 05:17 PM
Park a small powerhead at a top back corner of the tank and aim it so it moves the surface of the water. You have a protein film buildup happening and agitating the water surface will break it up.

Harriett
09-23-2008, 05:49 PM
I second Judy's response. Either set up a little power head, set up a spray bar from your canister [if you are running one] to run horizontally across the water surface, or to run horizontally on the bottom back wall so it shoots directly up the back wall. A protein layer decreases the tanks' oxygenation by blocking the gas exchange at the water surface--you need to disrupt that surface so the gases can pass back and forth. If you are running a canister on this tank, you can also buy a very simple little skimmer device for like $12-15 that plugs into the canister inlet tube and gently collects water from the surface, feeding it into the canister system. Smith and Foster sells them. If this is a planted tank with CO2, the skimmer technique and a spraybar a couple inches below water surface are better so you don't blow off your CO2.Best of luck
Harriett

DiscusDude85
09-23-2008, 05:51 PM
Just a stupid question, What do you feed? I have noticed when i feed beefheart there will be an oily residueon the surface, Im pretty sure its the fatty deposits from the bh.

Joe

yim11
09-23-2008, 10:59 PM
Just a stupid question, What do you feed? I have noticed when i feed beefheart there will be an oily residueon the surface, Im pretty sure its the fatty deposits from the bh.

Not a stupid question at all - I had that exact same problem but wasn't feeding any beef heart (turkey heart and liver instead) and the OP hasn't specified the problem yet. I increased the water changes and after a short time it went away and hasn't been a problem since.

The BH theory makes perfect sense but I have to wonder if it would be something more than that? One thing I considered was body oil from my hand/arm being in the tank too often, but I don't think that was the case.

Thanks,
-jim

GrillMaster
09-24-2008, 12:08 AM
I third Judy and Harrietts reply...:D

uli and ria
09-24-2008, 03:10 PM
I have two powerheads at the top of the tank.

I dont feed beefheart.

Its a clear residue. Gel like, thin, "membraine?" Floats.

No CO2, no plants, BB tank.

50% water changes daily, fish happy and active, normal.

Water test results normal.

I feed FBW, Colorbits, Tetramin Procrisps, Frozen Ocean Nutrition formula One.
frozen brine shrimp. Small meals 5-6 times a day.

Could it be from the discus?? What the fry would eat off the parents.
Is this a sign that they are reach maturity? A shedding of skin?

All discus are fine, no HIH, fins OK, No noticeable damage on bodies

The only thing different are their colors seem to be brighter.

Thanks for all input. It has me stumped completely. Been surfing the sight looking for similar problem. Once again thank you for info. uli

uli and ria
09-24-2008, 03:28 PM
is it protein slime from discus? there are no eggs. they dont seem to have paired off, I am starting to think its from the food, maybe the ocean nutrition formula one. uli

Harriett
09-24-2008, 04:11 PM
So let me get this right--you are saying you have 2 powerheads running---you need to see water gently blowing across the surface and moving water over the length of the top footprint of the tank. If the powerheads are not directing water down the length of the tank, their use will only be a fraction of what is needed to disrupt the surface and increase gas exchange and oxygenation and it will not be enough to solve the issue.
Harriett

uli and ria
09-26-2008, 02:46 PM
yes, two powerheads have been in the tank for a while, I was wondering if the slime was from the fish. I have only seen it twice. I also have two cans, so I do have a good flow on top of the water. uli

Bobby G
01-18-2009, 11:46 PM
You need to break up the surface of the water.

Darrell Ward
01-21-2009, 08:40 PM
You need to break up the surface of the water.

Yes, this will happen on any tank without surface agitation. It's not limited to Discus tanks.

Darrell Ward
01-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Dang! I just noticed how old this thread is. Boy do I feel foolish! :o

Roxanne
01-22-2009, 12:21 AM
Dang! I just noticed how old this thread is. Boy do I feel foolish! :o

:D Ur not alone