PDA

View Full Version : Are pet store tetras trustworthy for discus???

cyang
09-23-2008, 11:21 PM
Hey guys,

Before I get my first 6 discus (3-4") in mid October for my 75 gallon BB I was planning on getting 8 bleeding heart tetras from one of the pet stores near me. One reason is to cycle the tank (I don't really want to fishless cycle) and the other reason is to have some dither fish.

My question is would it be ok to keep the tetras in the tank for 2-3 weeks to make sure they are disease free? I'm not sure how much I trust petstore fish with discus, but I really don't have anywhere else to go for normal fish and shipping commonly available tetras seems like a waste. I will essentially be quarantining the tetras in the same tank that the discus will go into later on.

1. Is this something to be nervous about (buying fish from petstores to add with discus)?

2. What signs of trouble/disease should I be looking for?

3. Do bleeding hearts make good dither fish?

4. Is 2-3 weeks enough to QT?

Usually I'm not this nervous about pet store fish, but I don't want to waste $$$ on discus and then have them get sick and die. You guys have all been pretty helpful to me with all the other questions I've had before so thanks in advance!

GrillMaster
09-24-2008, 12:06 AM
If it were me...I wouldn't try and put any other fish in the tank. Whats wrong with just gettin 6-8 juvies and growing them out in a BB 75?

The joy of growin out juvies and watchin em pair up far out weighs the crap shoot with dither fish especially from a pet store.

FWIW...I wont ever buy another fish from a pet store!!! Not even a bleeding heart tetra!

ncyracer
09-24-2008, 04:18 AM
I agree with bass. Try doing it without any fish, but if your stubborn like me than i would go with fish you will want forever. I would also give them about 4 weeks if not longer just to safe. Also imo the main disease transported from FS is Ick. Watch for white spots...
Its not to hard to just buy amonia and add it its also way safer. Wait until the fish are big than QT others and add. HTH:)

geleen
09-24-2008, 08:36 AM
Bleeding hearts do no make a good companion for discus IMO they are too shy and like plant cover.

Subjecting to and possibly killing fish to cycle a tank is a bit passe. I like the fishless cycle with pure ammonia and add a small shrimp or 2 to provide continuous supply of ammonia. Anyway no matter how you cycle the tank it could easily take 6 weeks, unless you get a hold of seeded filter material.

One of the first things keeping fish teaches is patience. Every time you rush you will be in for disappointment.
J.

Tropical Haven
09-24-2008, 10:09 AM
I would have to agree with everyone else here, I will never buy fish from a pet store. Go with the fishless cycle thats what I always do and that way you are guaranteed to start a fresh tank without any diseases.

cyang
09-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Thanks guys. I start off with just some discus.

I'm going to try and buy some cycled sponge filters from mike at central Ohio discus. What kind of shipping do I need to get to make sure the bacteria are still alive when they get to me? I live I central Indiana and don't want to waste $4 gas driving my sub to pick up sponnge filters LOL