PDA

View Full Version : Splitting up a group of discus.

Lexopt
09-24-2008, 05:42 PM
I have a group of 12 juvenile PB discus in a 75g BB. I've had them for about 5 weeks. They were about an inch long when they arrived (about the size of a quarter, some a little smaller). They are doing well, the biggest have at least doubled in size, though there is significant disparity in size between indiviuals. there are 4-5 that are really exploding, 3-4 average and 3-4 that are smaller than average compared to the group

As they grow, I am planning on splitting them into a 55g and a 75g, probably within the next 4-6 weeks so that I can keep up the heavy feeding yet increase the amount time which it takes them to make a mess of the tank.

My question is, does anyone have any though on how to split them? If I leave all of the most dominant fish together, do I increase the chances of creating a new runt or two?

On the flip side, could housing all the smalls ones together get a few of those going better?

Or should I put a variety in each?

Sorry for the long post, just wondering if any one had any thoughs. Thanks

brewmaster15
09-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Hi,
Basically you have a group of 12 juvies that are about 2" now in a 75 Gallon right?.. Splitting them is a good idea down the road, but I would leave them together in that 75 Gal tank for a few months...Grow them out in that tank until they are 3-4 Inches ...just do good water changes and watch the water quality..... ...they'll do better if you do this, IMO..Then if you want split them...By then you'll have identified the best in the group..you'll probably lose 1 or 2 along the way....and may find you have a runt in the group...all in all...you may find that your decision on how to split them is easier when you've grown them out more.

HTH,
al