PDA

View Full Version : Bare bottom tank question,need some help.

Esquire
09-25-2008, 01:27 PM
I have a new 55 gal grow out tank with 8 fish and bare bottom.
Tank is on a wooden cabinet stand.
I had nothing under it and my juvees seemed skittish and kept looking down at the floor and pump/ wiring under it when lights are on.
I put white paper under the bottom of the tank and now it's more like a mirror when the lights are on and the fish hug the bottom leaning to the side to look at them selves, never leaving the bottom. The swim with the nose down obsessed looking down.
When I turn the lights off they swim around with no problems.
I should add that I have white paper on 3 sides of the tank.

What do most people do with a bare bottom grow out tank so the fish relax?

thks

Discus-n00b
09-25-2008, 02:08 PM
Mine are painted a light blue/green color. Still no dark enough to darken the fish, but not bright enough to blind everyone. Seems to work well. Anyway you could tone down the lights? Maybe diffuse it a little? Lighting diffuser/egg create might work. I'm sure someone has better ideas, just throwing something out there.

How new are the fish? Did they come from a BB tank or a planted tank?

Esquire
09-25-2008, 02:26 PM
There 3-3.5 inch. I have only had them 3 days. There doing great, eating swimming.

They did come from bare tanks but low light. I know the tank lights are a little harsh for them.
In low light they are fine.
Good idea to dim the lights until they get use to it and then gradually make them brighter. I will try that.

Esquire
09-25-2008, 11:53 PM
And now my discus have settled in and all is well and they are eating like pigs.
If i'm near the tank they are right there waiting for me, and it's not because they want food.

Wow.

Discus-n00b
09-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Good to hear!