PDA

View Full Version : Death tank

ncyracer
09-25-2008, 11:30 PM
I have a 25 gallon tank which im seting up as a BB. Its been ran before but, I just cleaned it and set up new water and everything. I also added two DIY sponge filters. It has a small 10 gallon filter that has bio in it just for the time being. The problem is i added some mosquito fish that ive had in a 10 mgal aquarium to keep up the bio. All of a sudden they all started to die off and even some snails died!! Has anyone had a problem like this, is it because its not fully cycled..."mosquito fish are pretty tuff" PLease help
Thanks

White Worm
09-26-2008, 12:19 AM
You take the chance of killing anything from ammonia and nitrites during the cycle no matter how tuff you feel they are. Those levels skyrocket during the cycle until the cycle is complete. Then you are adding more by feeding the fish. Not a surprise to find dead fish when you use them for the cycle.

ncyracer
09-26-2008, 01:19 AM
You take the chance of killing anything from ammonia and nitrites during the cycle no matter how tuff you feel they are. Those levels skyrocket during the cycle until the cycle is complete. Then you are adding more by feeding the fish. Not a surprise to find dead fish when you use them for the cycle.

Ok, so i should move to a fishless amonia added cycle then. Also keeping track of my levels. Thank you again white worrm for the help.:)

Tropical Haven
09-26-2008, 08:37 AM
A fishless cycle is the way to go for sure.

Graham
09-26-2008, 08:56 AM
I have a 25 gallon tank which im seting up as a BB. Its been ran before but, I just cleaned it and set up new water and everything. I also added two DIY sponge filters. It has a small 10 gallon filter that has bio in it just for the time being. The problem is i added some mosquito fish that ive had in a 10 mgal aquarium to keep up the bio. All of a sudden they all started to die off and even some snails died!! Has anyone had a problem like this, is it because its not fully cycled..."mosquito fish are pretty tuff" PLease help
Thanks

How much time between when you put the fish in and when they died? I get the impression that this happened very very quickly.

ncyracer
09-26-2008, 03:16 PM
How much time between when you put the fish in and when they died? I get the impression that this happened very very quickly.

Yes, it was almost imediatly. I have the weird thought that those fish are undefeatable. Yea im going to be adding amonia and no fish thanks everyone, it really helped.:D

Graham
09-26-2008, 03:42 PM
That's what I thought. If it was almost immediately then it's not ammonia or nitrite. Neither kill a fish like that

Valik
09-26-2008, 06:37 PM
I second Graham it would be next to impossible for a: the levels to peak that quickly and b: even after they do peak it takes some time for them to finish off the fish. How long was the tank up and running before you put the fish in and did you add anything to the water?

White Worm
09-26-2008, 07:46 PM
DIY sponges? 10g With Bio? Maybe a little more info on these would help. Do you use water conditioner? Do you use tap water?