PDA

View Full Version : Discus farm in Israel

koty
09-26-2008, 01:41 AM
Get a glimpse at THE discus farm in our small troubled country in the ME

http://s391.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid391.photobucket.com/albums/oo352/davidweitzman/P1010209-1.flv&fs=1&os=1&ap=1

ncyracer
09-27-2008, 07:11 PM
Very nice:)

scolley
09-27-2008, 09:25 PM
Wow. That is VERY cool! Thanks for sharing that. I've never seen a truly industrial setup like that, and I find that fascinating.

The discus in the open top sink type tanks was the biggest surprise for me.

I've never been to Israel, but I've always assumed fresh water was a bit of a precious commodity. Maybe that's wrong, but if not, all those fish have to either be wicked expensive to grow out (because of the water change), or they are being raised without the extensive water changes that are practiced so often. Am I off base here?

Either way, that was very cool. Thank you.

Ed13
09-27-2008, 09:49 PM
That is so COOL:bandana: Those vats are really interesting
We.. need.....more info. Water change schedule, food, water parameters, temp control, breeding pairs? filters etc...anything really. Please!!!

Wahter
09-27-2008, 10:35 PM
That's nice - do you have any still photos from your visit?

Thanks for sharing.

Walter

Greg Richardson
09-28-2008, 12:46 AM
Wonder what the jumper rate is? Or is my eye sight getting worse and those did have lids? I know if my tanks didn't have lids I would have probably lost quite a few over the years.

koty
09-28-2008, 03:56 AM
Well I was there only once to buy fish from the guy. This movie was posted in a local fish forum. This is his official site.I think that he does spend a lot of money on water changes but it is not as costly because water are cheaper for agricultural use. His fish are not expensive if you ask me. I bout 6 the size of 2.5 inch for $23 each. The owner told me that the price range is $23-50 based on the color morph. I asked for fish who's parents look as close as possible to wild discus. These turned out to be actually cheaper then the others.
I do not have still photos but the official website has :http://www.danziger-discus.com/ . The fish are top quality. His "secret" is extensive water changes and a strict Tetra bits diet. Seeing his "factory" makes it hard to argue.
Have no info about jumpers but there are no lids

Here are some pics of the fish in my place

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/3613/dscn6717bu3.jpg

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/3917/dscn6718gt1.jpg

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/7062/dscn6719zi5.jpg

These are my wild coris
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7688/dscn6721zn3.jpg

bigfish
09-28-2008, 08:57 AM
Hi Koty,
Wow!! Just had to comment on those discus just superb, and you have a lovely
fish room over there, would love to own some of those discus, thanks for sharing.
Regards....Ben.

mikel
09-28-2008, 09:24 AM
Welcome!!!! I have never been to Israel, but your place is certainly not 'troubled'. I am so impressed by the discus in those open vats!....I see alot of that in the Far East where high quality jumbo goldfish and kois are kept...to do the same with discus is just AWSOME!!!!!! WOWWWWWWW!

Also, that close up of a big blue diamond was just great..it looks like my big blue boy, and blue diamonds are my favorite strain. I also saw some 'bulldog" shaped turquoise? In any case, a great setup, and thanks for showing me something new and wonderful. I would hope that there are lids on those vats...even fat goldfish can jump sometimes. Best wishes! mike

Condor
09-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Koty, awesome thanks for posting. You will have to start shipping to the US!:D Nice big slab discus, great shapes in there.

Adrian

korbi_doc
09-28-2008, 10:47 AM
:D Wow Koty..very nice set-up..is this your place? Well done, like the others, would be nice to read 'bout your parameters...W/Cs, feeding, breeding, filtration (didn't see any intank), do you need heaters?...anyway, very impressive to see such a terrific discus house..
Thanks for sharing..way to go!!...

Dottie ;)

MSD
09-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Very nice Koty, good to see wherever you are in the world we have common hobbies and feelings. Happy New Year and a safe one to you and Israel.

Marksdiscus
09-28-2008, 12:51 PM
No questions.
All as should be.

bumblebee
09-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Hello Koty,

This is more than a farm, it's a DISCUS SHOW. I peep lots of great quality discus too. Wonderful:thumbsup:

moto250mx
09-28-2008, 04:09 PM
Now that's what Discus should look like...Healthy, giant, and ROUND!...Majority is junk here in the USA compared to those.

Thank You for posting
Jason

koty
09-29-2008, 02:42 AM
Now that's what Discus should look like...Healthy, giant, and ROUND!...Majority is junk here in the USA compared to those...

The moderators did not release my latest post. This is not my discus farm but it belongs to a guy called Shahar Danziger (http://www.danziger-discus.com/). It is he who deserves the credit for the amazing quality of the fish. I have met him only once when i went to buy my fish there. The good news for you might be that his buisness is based mostly on export.

Darren's Discus
09-29-2008, 03:37 AM
Absolutely awesome set up thank's for sharing.

cheers

LizStreithorst
09-29-2008, 08:25 AM
I see that they have a flower farm, as well. Is it in the same location? If so, His WC water would go to irrigate/fertilize the plants.

Darren's Discus
09-29-2008, 07:28 PM
Now that's what Discus should look like...Healthy, giant, and ROUND!...Majority is junk here in the USA compared to those.

Thank You for posting
Jason

obviously you are going to the wrong places,Because majority of discus being sold in the states on this forum are far from junk !!!!

cheers

MSD
09-29-2008, 07:45 PM
I don't know where he's buying discus from but the discus sold by simply sponsors is near champion quality if not better. You must mean your local fish store sells crap....

Discus-Hans
09-30-2008, 09:58 PM
Nice place only the pop eyes would concern me on those Snow Whites (?)

Hans

moto250mx
10-01-2008, 01:06 PM
Champion quality, hmmmmm keep believing the Discus pumpers...And never would I be so lame and purchase a Discus from a pet shop...Improve the hobby breed ROUND Discus...Refrain from purchasing the majority of junk sold here...Peace out

Jason

April
10-01-2008, 01:43 PM
heh wow..im impressed..the asians dont have a corner on the market. lol. those fish are gorgeous a
nd healthy and id take some in a second. he has alot of very nice strains also.
i want his butterflies. ask him if he sends to canada. : )
i dont have lids on my discus tanks..by the way..i gotta soon though as the weather is changing. only time my fish get skittish..is if their ph slides. then they get jumpy. i dont get jumpers. well not saying it cant happen..but the minute i see one act a bit skittish i dump more aragonite in teh tank. : )
thanks for sharing..very impressive. tell him everyone in north america are drooling over his fish now.

Darren's Discus
10-01-2008, 11:21 PM
Champion quality, hmmmmm keep believing the Discus pumpers...And never would I be so lame and purchase a Discus from a pet shop...Improve the hobby breed ROUND Discus...Refrain from purchasing the majority of junk sold here...Peace out

Jason

Geez you must of been burnt bad to call everything Junk !

cheers

koty
10-02-2008, 02:23 AM
heh wow..im impressed..the asians dont have a corner on the market. lol. those fish are gorgeous a
nd healthy and id take some in a second. he has alot of very nice strains also.
i want his butterflies. ask him if he sends to canada.......

As i said i met him only once. I think u can find his email in his website. From the Israeli aqua forum i read that he is now in Duisburg Germany in some discus show/contest.

April
10-02-2008, 02:28 AM
great..we can see how he does in the duisburg show. hope he brings home a trophy.

seanyuki
10-02-2008, 02:49 AM
Hey woman,

Better go to sleep now cos your discus are arriving in Vancouver about 9 hrs from now:D:D:D

Cheers
Francis:)

great..we can see how he does in the duisburg show. hope he brings home a trophy.

koty
10-06-2008, 08:35 AM
As a final note the guy (Danziger Discus) won two prizes in Duisburg 2008:

http://www.discusnews.com/duisburg08/winners/winners.shtml

http://www.discusnews.com/duisburg08/winners/solidturq.shtml

DANZIGER - DISCUS
10-22-2008, 04:29 PM
Hello to all the DISCUS lovers,
My name is Shahar Danziger and I am the breeder and the owner of the "discus farm in Israel" - named "DANZIGER DISCUS FARM".
First of all I want to thank Koty that because of him I am a member in this fantastic site.
Second I want to thank all the pepole who were so genuros with their compliments.
Now I will try to answer the questions that some pepole have asked here:
At the moment I have around 60 breeding pairs of Discus and I raise the fry both ways, naturally and artificially feeding.
The ponds/vats and most of the aquariums which shown on the movie are treated by 2 central biological filters each one treats 30000 liters per hour (made in the USA - bubbele beed filter ).
I change around 10% of the water everyday due to the lack of water in Israel this is the maximum amount of water that i can change,in order to deal with the high quantities of discus and the lack of water I am using a "high tech" U.V system called "ATLANTIUM" and made in Israel.
I am using only tetra discus dry food (no meat/frozen/live food at all) from the moment Baby Brine Shrimp is not requaired any more (6-8 weeks).
I hope I have answered the questions and please forgive me for my poor English and the spelling mistakes...
Cheers,
Shahar Danziger - "DANZIGER - DISCUS"

shba
10-22-2008, 06:19 PM
amazing shahar one of the best !:angel:

Fons_van_der_Hart
10-23-2008, 04:29 AM
I've seen all the entries of Shahar in Duisburg and I can tell you they looked great. With two trophies he did a good job there.
Next to that Shahar is a very nice guy, open for any questions and so.

brewmaster15
10-23-2008, 08:21 AM
Welcome to SimplyDiscus Shahar!:)

Your Facility and Fish are very impressive indeed!:) Thank you for stopping by and telling us some more about them! I hope we see more of you on our forum in times to come.

Best of luck with the hatchery!!!

Thanks again!

-al

MSD
10-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Hi Shahar,

All done with Tetra granules, wonder if the fish will live longer and be more fertile without meats or bloodworms? They certainly grow and look great, no doubt about that. Mazel Tov on the awards.

DANZIGER - DISCUS
10-23-2008, 12:08 PM
Hello MSD,
First of all thank you for the mazel tov...
Well i dont know if it will make their life longer or shorter I am doing it on only for 3.5 years now and so far so good.
No doubt that it makes the discus and the hobbisist's/breeder's life much easier (when I used life food and frozen food I had a health crises some times after I turned to feed with tetra discus dry food those problems were gone!!!)
Refering to the fertile rate it seems to make no Diffarence but I can not really tell I didn't make orgenized research about it.
Cheers,
Shahar Danziger - "DANZIGER - DISCUS".

April
10-23-2008, 12:43 PM
welcome to simplydiscus. :wave:
congratulations on the trophys. your english is fine.
hope you enjoy simplydiscus.

DANZIGER - DISCUS
11-06-2008, 05:22 PM
Hello dexchung,
The open vats and glass tanks in the big growth room are treated with 2central filters each one treats 30000 liters per hour,
regards,
Shahar.

MSD
11-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Hi Shahar,

How is your beautiful farm doing? Maybe we can see a couple of pictures of the award winning fish and some other fish you think are especially fine. I hope you are not near any areas that have missle attacks nearby and you and your family are safe. My son will be going there next year as a college exchange student for a few months, I think it will be good for him to see how wonderful life is in Israel. Take care and Shalom.

Mark

allan_mark76
11-20-2008, 03:19 PM
I too would like to see some updated pictures and videos. I've seen the video posted over a dozen times already and am always amazed.

~AKA~

terps
11-20-2008, 04:03 PM
There are some more videos of his farm on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=danzinger+discus&search_type=&aq=f

There are lots of discus videos now on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=discus+fish&search_type=

DANZIGER - DISCUS
11-21-2008, 03:12 AM
Hello Simply Discus memebers and visitors,
I'm not a great photographer (thats an understatement) but I am trying to do my best...
here is a short cut to my web albums http://picasaweb.google.com/DANZIGERDISCUS/171108
and I hope to get some photos of my winners From Duisburg competition soon.
All of the Discus shown were bred an raised at "DANZIGER - DISCUS",
Have a nice weekend,
Shahar.
p.s
MSD, at the moment my village is out of the "KASAM" range but soon they will be able to reach even the center of Israel...
If your son will stay in Israel he is more than wlcome to visit my farm.

DANZIGER - DISCUS
11-21-2008, 03:18 AM
Hello Simply Discus memebers and visitors,
I'm not a great photographer (thats an understatement) but I am trying to do my best...
here is a short cut to my web albums http://picasaweb.google.com/DANZIGERDISCUS/171108
and I hope to get some photos of my winners From Duisburg competition soon.
All of the Discus shown were bred an raised at "DANZIGER - DISCUS",
Have a nice weekend,
Shahar.
p.s
MSD, at the moment my village is out of the "KASAM" range but soon they will be able to reach even the center of Israel...
If your son will stay in Israel he is more than wlcome to visit my farm.

DANZIGER - DISCUS
11-22-2008, 04:30 PM
Hello to all Simply Discus members and visitors,
here is a link to "DANZIGER - DISCUS" web album hope you will enjoy it -

http://picasaweb.google.com/DANZIGERDISCUS/171108#
Have a nice week end,
Shahar.

Ed Hengel
11-24-2008, 12:54 AM
Hi Shahar,

My son Daniel is currently living in Tel Aviv-Yafo. Are you near by?

Ed

DANZIGER - DISCUS
11-24-2008, 02:53 AM
Hello ED,
My farm is loctated 10 minutes driving from the center of Tel - Aviv and very easy to reach, your son is more than welcome.
Have a nice week,
Shahar.

Ed13
11-24-2008, 09:48 AM
I'd love to see more pics of the system itself!;) Especially the vats tanks and filter systems, :D

Ed Hengel
11-24-2008, 11:48 AM
Hello ED,
My farm is loctated 10 minutes driving from the center of Tel - Aviv and very easy to reach, your son is more than welcome.
Have a nice week,
Shahar.

What is the address?

vincentliu89
11-25-2008, 11:25 PM
wow thats really nice! All those tanks!!

DANZIGER - DISCUS
11-26-2008, 12:02 PM
Hello Ed,
you are right... the address is Moshav(village) Mishmar Hashiva no.96,
have a nice day,
Shahar.

DANZIGER - DISCUS
11-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Hello Ed 13,
I will try to browse some pictures of the filters and vats (by the way there are some pictures of the vats in the second album).
Have a nice day,
Shahar.

moik
11-26-2008, 11:30 PM
Very impressive discus. Would be great to see these nice round discus in the USA for sale. Thanks for sharing

DANZIGER - DISCUS
11-27-2008, 02:27 PM
hello Moik,
Thank you very much for your comment and you can find those discus in the USA...
cheers,
Shahar.

Marksdiscus
12-01-2008, 01:46 AM
Shahar!
That's a real achievement.
Nice discus and hatchery you have.
Good luck to get 1st place in future.
Mark

Michigan Fan
12-01-2008, 02:24 AM
Those fish are very round and big!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rfeiller
12-01-2008, 10:23 PM
most hatcheries do not use covers.
beautiful set-up. saw the grow out tanks and the pairing tanks where were the pairs and fry? or is this just a grow out facility?

Dkarc@Aol.com
12-01-2008, 11:07 PM
I want to see pics/details of the filtration system. Im interested in your turnover rates, water chemistry, pounds (kilos) of food fed per system in a day, water exchange rates and what kind of biofilter are you using.

-Ryan

rfeiller
12-01-2008, 11:39 PM
in the late 80's two gentlemen from Isreal came to my hatchery to learn how to artificially raise discus. they spent the day with me. if I remember it had to do with aquaculture on the west bank. would you happen to know who that might have been? i can not find the man's card. he mentioned Isreal producing angels and goldfish for europe.

Ed13
12-02-2008, 11:38 AM
I want to see pics/details of the filtration system. Im interested in your turnover rates, water chemistry, pounds (kilos) of food fed per system in a day, water exchange rates and what kind of biofilter are you using.

-Ryan
Same here!:)

DANZIGER - DISCUS
12-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Hello,
sorry for my late response,firat of all I browse some new pictures of the filteration system and some pairs.
it is not visibale in the pictures but under the filters there are deep tanks of 4000 liters each, which the vats water are falling into and a pump raise them to the filter and than back to the vats and tank.
there are no pictures of pairs with fry because at the moment we are using artificial feeding method.
refering to the question about bthe pepole from Israel i have no clue who they were.
this is the link to the pictures

enjoy,
Shahar.

DANZIGER - DISCUS
12-18-2008, 12:50 PM
hello,
I forgot to answer about the water changes method and quantities - this is how we do it we siphon every day each tank and we take off approx 10% of the water and we add the same amount after it.
that all...
I wish you a Happy Christmas and Happy New Year,
Shahar Danziger.

mikel
12-18-2008, 01:37 PM
Wow...those discus look great! When you keep them in big vats, you remind me of the koi farms in Japan and the goldfish ponds in China that I visited when I went tooling around the world after college. I love seeing discus thrive in such knowledgable care....It's really awsome and thank you for sharing the pictures with us. mike

Dkarc@Aol.com
12-18-2008, 05:52 PM
Are the bubble washed bead filters your only source of filtration? Very clean setup. Very good quality fish as well.

-Ryan

DANZIGER - DISCUS
12-19-2008, 11:56 AM
Hello Ryan,
First of all thank you.
Refering to your question the bubble bid filter is the only filter I use but the water falls on a sponge before it comes into the collecting tank which locted under the filter.
Happy Christmas And Happy New Year,
Shahar.

MSD
12-19-2008, 01:39 PM
Shalom Shahar,

Great pictures again and some beautiful discus, like the huge can of Tetra food in the background too. I thought I was bad with all the food cans in my basement. Wishing you and yours a Happy חנוכה, thats Hanukkah y'all from New York to you.

riu
12-22-2008, 10:10 AM
Hello Shahar. Very good your farm.
I have some questions.

The UV lamp, how many watts is it? How many liters have all the farm? How many liters per hour passed by the lamp to be effective? You can not spend too much water per hour, as it loses effectiveness.

How many times a day to eat the discs? Just give food to the house tetra?

Got a photo of the central filter?

Thanks for everything, we learn a lot with people who have a great fishroom.

Greetings

Raul

DANZIGER - DISCUS
12-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Hello Raul,
you can see the central filteration system on my web album,the U.V system is a new technology the company is "ATLANTIUM" and it shuld be effective for 70000 liters per hour.
The total amount of water in this room is 80000 liters and the U.V system treats 40000 liters per hour in my farm,
Happy New Year,
Shahar.
MSD - thank you very much Happy חנוכה to you!

Hattawi
12-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Great work Shahar. I congratulate you and wish you a successful career in this wonderful hobby.

It is nice to know that Discus can grow to these sizes on tetra discus dry food alone :) I try to feed it to my discus and they spit it out. I guess I need to try harder. Also, I guess discus fish bought from you will take this food readily.

riu
12-22-2008, 06:23 PM
Out of curiosity, how many watts is the UV lamp?

How many times a day to feed the discus? Do you always use the dried food tetra?

Greetings

cveks
12-23-2008, 09:54 AM
Hello,
sorry for my late response,firat of all I browse some new pictures of the filteration system and some pairs.
it is not visibale in the pictures but under the filters there are deep tanks of 4000 liters each, which the vats water are falling into and a pump raise them to the filter and than back to the vats and tank.
there are no pictures of pairs with fry because at the moment we are using artificial feeding method.
refering to the question about bthe pepole from Israel i have no clue who they were.
this is the link to the pictures

enjoy,
Shahar.

hello can you provide us some informations how do you artificially fed your fry ?

You remove them from parents as soon as the eggs get fertelized or when they start swimming?

please give us some details . thanks.

lybrasoft
12-29-2008, 03:33 AM
My name is Arpad.

I read the post and I am really impressed. !!
Congratulations for this awsome setup!! Not just for the volume but for the carefully thought technology that is used here I think is the amazing part. Not to mention that only with %10 wc you really need a good physical and biological filtration.

Regarding the artificial raising I would like to ask for some advice. I had several pairs with bad habits ..eggeaters. I tried several methods but I failed.
I read that the fry's mouth it is too small for baby brine shrimp in the first days. I tried to feed them as soon as they hatched before they get a chance to grow.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Happy Hollidays !!

DANZIGER - DISCUS
12-31-2008, 05:40 AM
Hello,
I am sorry but I can not expose my artificial feeding method on the internet,bur there are some books which gives very good information about the subject like - "ASIAN DISCUS 2" and the last book of Bernd Degen which his english version is about to be published soon.
Refering to rhe question of cveks, I am trying to collect the eggs as soon as possible after the male have fertelized them and I start feeding the fry as soon as they are starting the free swimming,
Thank you for your comments and compliments,
Happy New Year,
Shahar.

Discus-Hans
12-31-2008, 05:51 AM
Shahar,

here on Simply we've NO secrets lol

Hans

discusmelle
12-31-2008, 04:38 PM
Hello Shahar, thank you for share this information.

Your Discusfishes are very good grade of quality, size, color and bodyshape are beautiful, you know what you are doing. Your fish farm is very interesting and practical.
Perhaps we meet again. It was a beautiful time in Duisburg 2006.
Greetings and good slip into the new year (as they say here) for you and your family.

Happy New Year to all other users of this forum.

Best Regards

Stefan

riu
01-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Hello Shahar

A curiosity, how many watts is the UV lamp?

How many times a day to feed the discus? Do you always use the dried food tetra?

Greetings

MSD
01-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Hi Shahar,

How are you doing in your location in Israel? I hope you are far away from any rockets! Take care and be well.

Mark

DANZIGER - DISCUS
01-10-2009, 05:10 AM
Hello you all,
My last 2 messages were not published,I hope that one will...
Dear Stefan,
It sure was a great time in Duisburg 2006 and I hope to meet you at the same Place on 2010...
Hello Mark,
We are doing fine, the closest rocket bombed approx 40 km from my farm and it is getting closer.
This is a hard time and civiliens pay the price from both sides, I hope it will end soon and we will have chance to have peace and understanding that both of us are going to live here and it would be much more fun with out wars...
with hope for a Happy and quiet new Year,
Shahar.

MSD
01-11-2010, 09:36 PM
Stay safe....

danwpc
01-12-2010, 11:49 AM
I am shocked that in a country so starved for water they are willing to go the expense to desalinate the water, that your farm is practical...let alone legal!

Nice fish though =P

DavidH
01-12-2010, 06:17 PM
I just have to know how do you keep all your fish from turning red of all you feed to tetra bits.
It always turns my yellows or whatever red??????
Dave

DANZIGER - DISCUS
01-14-2010, 09:16 AM
Hello Dan and David,
Dan you are right there is a real shortge of water in Israel but, in our farm 95% of the water are hard tap water and we change about 10-15% and recycle it to water the gardens in our village so the waste of water is not so high...
I am glad that you like our Discus.
David,
I use Tetra discus (the 3 kg backets) and I think there are less colour enreachments in that food (comparing to Tetra Bits) by the way be if I wasn't feeding with Tetra Discus my Goldens were more yellow than Orange,
Cheers,
Shahar.