PDA

View Full Version : 2 Breeding questions ?

Scat
09-27-2008, 05:07 AM
Hi:)

I need some advice please :)

I have a young pair of blue turks that had spawned last week and the eggs hatched,the male went very dark and started to secrete the milk, the female didnt really darken that much.The fry then began to feed on the dad but he lost his dark colour very quickly and the fry dropped off within a day or two after that ! Is this inexperience?

Also i need to clean the tank, they have just laid again on the spawning cone but i need to clean the glass and bottom as its a bit grubby and was wondering if that is a good idea or not ? Would they spook and eat the eggs ? and how about when the fry hatch how do i go with cleaning then ?

The water quality is still good as im running a eheim pro 2 canister on the breeding tank and my nitrates barely register after one week ( under 5mg/l ) and my ph is around 6.1.

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Craig

airbus123
09-27-2008, 06:58 AM
yes, as u might have already read and mentioned that they are a young pair. it takes a few tries for inexperience parents to successfully carry their fries. of course, that said, there are cases where even 1st time parents do a good job straight away.

so all in all, just let them do their thing, and i'm sure u will see them learn from each experience.

cheers,
air

White Worm
09-27-2008, 02:28 PM
I wouldnt do any major cleaning while they are guarding eggs. Even if the glass is a little dirty, leave it and make sure the water is clean. I usually drain the water slow with something small like airline when fry are swimming around or put a mesh material over whatever you are sucking the water out with.