PDA

View Full Version : Help sick fish

Esquire
09-27-2008, 09:37 AM
3 " juvee was fine yesterday
Eating like crazy.
This morning he is bloated and lost his equilibrium.
Laying on side swimming funny.

What can I do?

jeep
09-27-2008, 09:39 AM
Try adding 1TBS epsom salts per 10 gallons of water. Hopefully it could be just a case regular bloat from over-eating...

Esquire
09-27-2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks

I went to get epson salt right after I posted it thinking thats what it was, but he died in the 15 minutes it took to go get it.

my fault, i over feed him & I feel terrible for it.

brewmaster15
09-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Hi ,
What kind of foods were you feeding?

-al

Esquire
09-28-2008, 02:57 PM
Frozen bloodworms,
Omega Super color, & Super Veggie

Graham
09-28-2008, 03:30 PM
I doubt very much that over eating or the particular food killed the fish. Bloat is usually the result of the kidneys and/or liver shutting down and the fluid builds up within the fish

brewmaster15
09-28-2008, 03:42 PM
Graham,

I doubt very much that over eating or the particular food killed the fish. Bloat is usually the result of the kidneys and/or liver shutting down and the fluid builds up within the fish My experience has been different here... If its just the abdomen thats swollen and bloated...I've seen it happen, commonly with pelleted Foods like tetra bits in fish..

It can also happen after shipping, if the fish isn't fasted enough and has been heavily fed before shipped..., they can get a bacterial infection in the gut and bloat up like Balloons..

HTH,
al

Esquire
09-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Graham,
My experience has been different here... If its just the abdomen thats swollen and bloated...I've seen it happen, commonly with pelleted Foods like tetra bits in fish..

It can also happen after shipping, if the fish isn't fasted enough and has been heavily fed before shipped..., they can get a bacterial infection in the gut and bloat up like Balloons..

HTH,
al

I agree this is quite common from what I have read recently. I over feed these fish & the one that died was the most aggressive eater. His gut was severely bloated. This was the last feeding at night and I did not see a problem until the next morning.

Graham
09-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Graham,
My experience has been different here... If its just the abdomen thats swollen and bloated...I've seen it happen, commonly with pelleted Foods like tetra bits in fish..

HTH,
al
Al pelleted foods have a moisture content to help avoid this swelling problem. Tetra bits has around 6%. They maybe stuffed and have a belly ache, but I don't think I've ever seen a fish eat it's self to death.

As to shipping, a lot of body chemistry changes take place as NH3 levels build in the fish, while O2 levels drop, let alone crappy water. This could have the ability to subdue the immune system of the fish. A bacterial infection in the gut could very easily shut down kidney and liver function...hence the loss of thier abilty to control fluid levels. If they develop acities/dropsy...bloat

I still don't think this directly related to the amount of food fed

brewmaster15
09-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Graham,

Al pelleted foods have a moisture content to help avoid this swelling problem. Tetra bits has around 6%. They maybe stuffed and have a belly ache, but I don't think I've ever seen a fish eat it's self to death. ...I still don't think this directly related to the amount of food fed
I can only share my personal experiences here raising many discus over the years but I would not have made the observation if I did not have practical experience on the issue... For what its worth ..I have had it happen, and have seen it happen to others here over the years.. I've posted about this over the years here as well. That has been my experience with Discus.

I'm not debating that organ failure would cause bloating and Fluid accumulation in which case the result is fatal..... but I am saying that there are cases when the bloating is food related and the result can be the same, IME.
Hth,
-al

Graham
09-28-2008, 07:11 PM
have to agree to disagree on this one Al

:)

Kenny's Discus
09-28-2008, 08:54 PM
Graham, no disrespect to you and this is in my own opinion and from my personal experience only; but over the years I've seen many cases with over-eating that caused the death of discus. I mean fluid build-ups could be the secondary infection but over-eating by a particular fish could also be the primary cause in many cases that I've seen. Such fish would usually show a very bloated belly right after they ingested too much food(be it pellets or BH or worms, etc...) and then they would start to lose their balance and eventually just pass away the next day or two...it's a very sad scene. If it is indeed a case of over-eating it always doesn't affect any of your other discus in the same tank IME. Just my 2 cents.

Sry about your loss Esquire.:(

Kenny

Esquire
09-28-2008, 10:34 PM
My exact scenario Kenny.
I learned my lesson. I thought I was doing the right thing by stuffing my Juvees ( I'm a novice ).
One other fish was effected with nose down syndrome but luckily salt fixed him and he is fine.
It was all my fault.
Now I am going to do small feedings, 5 times a day.
My fish want more but like me and dark beer, there is a limit. : )

Ps they seem more active and happier since.