PDA

View Full Version : How often to clean sponge filters

Discus-n00b
09-28-2008, 05:19 PM
How often should i be looking at cleaning my sponge filters? They are the only thing running in the tank filtration wise. I do Daily, or every other day WCs, and feed a good bit. Beefheart, bloodworms, misquitos. How often should i actually like squeeze them out in a bucket of tank water? I usually just hover the syphon over them and pickup all the stuff on the outside that will come off.

Will constantly squeezing them in a bucket of tank water (many days in a row) kill or remove the bacteria from them? I ask this question about cleaning because i'm scared that if i clean my filters to often it will send my tank into a mini cycle.

mikel
09-28-2008, 05:26 PM
I usualy do a quick squeeze and shake in clean TANK water (nat tap water) twice a week. I dont think you will harm the good bacteria that way. I also think that so long as you do daily siphoning of waste and food, and remove a good portion of water, you shouldnt have to deal with too much poop in the filter. i would also suggest that you get a fine meshed material (lady's stocking...sheer and thin) and cut a piece and cover the intake mouth so that the actual poop and food stays in your tank to be removed everyday, and your filter chamber is relatively debris free in that way. If you do that, then I would clean the sponge once a week. mike

plecocicho
09-28-2008, 05:30 PM
Squeezing sponge will not kill bacteria in it, trust me,:p
I would say that you clean the sponges when water flow from the filter will flow considerably. If you have same food regime, stock and water change regime you will figure the time that is needed to clog sponges after awhile.

Tropical Haven
09-28-2008, 06:49 PM
I clean mine once every 2 to 3 weeks.

architect1
09-29-2008, 08:14 PM
Well I don't know if you people are talking about the sponge that's attached to the air bubblier but I will tell you about canister sponges. lol

I dont clean my sponges/ canister for 2- how every many months. i do it when the canister is bad on circulation.

Wahter
09-29-2008, 09:01 PM
I squeeze out the ones in my tanks' filters every 1-2 weeks.

Walter

troyclark
09-30-2008, 01:55 PM
I usually squeeze the heck out of them every other water change or so(most tanks get a WC at lease every other day or every third day). I change almost 90-95% of the water at a time so I just squeeze them out in the tank they are in as I am doing the water change. Saves time and its just as effective as the bucket method for me. Never can be to clean. I have never noticed a bacteria loss. HTH

Discus-n00b
09-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Thanks everyone, so anywhere from daily to weekly is good it seems. I usually do them in the tank as well.

RyanH
09-30-2008, 05:20 PM
I run my sponges with a fairly low flow of air so I'm only squeezing them out every other or every third week.

I wouldn't clean them everyday; especially for the first few months they're running.

Discus-n00b
09-30-2008, 05:48 PM
My normal daily routine usually just includes sucking up the loose stuff off of them and twisting or spinning them under water to shake the rest off and suck that up. And right now i just squeeze whenever i feel it needs to be done.

architect1
10-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Since everyone has been talking on hear about sponges. i just did what every one else does but with my canister. i felt time to clean, because I will be leaving for 3 days.

What I did was took out the sponges, and sloshed them around in water I was taking out of my tank. Then after I cleaned the gunk out of my canister. i refilled it with the same water from the tank.

I figure no more tap water on my sponges and ceramic cylinders.

laliyorayado
10-01-2008, 07:50 PM
I clean 1 at month