PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with a picky slow eater

Esquire
09-29-2008, 08:37 AM
I have 1 fish that acts like an anorexic fashion model on a bikini shoot day while the rest of my group could be compared to the Cleveland browns dog pound eating anything including fingers.
The model only pics at bloodworms and seems to like omega veggie flakes the best. The princess also picks at the pre sponge filter for food more than the rest do.
Big plates of steak and lobster go under her nose and she picks at the peas and carrots.

Anyway you get the picture, 6 fish 4 are great eaters 1 is ok and the princes is finicky.
How do you deal with it?
I should also add, this is the smallest fish in the tank of 6 Discus, all 3" - 3.5"

I'm wondering if I should put him in another empty running tank for feedings only for a week or so returning him back to the main after each meal so that he gets his appetite up.

brewmaster15
09-29-2008, 09:45 AM
Can you post some pics of the your fish please and tell us about the tank and the fish? Often times the smallest discus in the group (the runt) is just intimidated into not eating by the more dominant ones....after a while this becomes habit... It may be useful to try and remove the discus and try giving it some TLC...sometimes that works , others not.

I'd also consider the health of the fish..if its thin it may be sick with gut parasites..have you ever dewormed your fish?

-al

Esquire
09-29-2008, 10:14 AM
I have not dewormed.

This is a 55 gal grow out bare bottom tank. Only a week old with fish. Fishless cycle for 6 wks.
PH 7 - 7.2
35% WC every 2-3 days
All fish came from a reputable breeder that I picked up from and all look healthy.
No fish are picking on him.

He may be slow to getting back up to speed after I had to salt the tank for a day over the weekend for a bloated over eater ( this is my guess ) as he very slowly is improving.
He is a little bit of a loner but dosen't ever seem to be afraid of the group.
This is all probably nothing, but I may try to isolate him in a clear plastic dish in tank for a few feedings to get him going.

No pictures yet

Tavio
09-29-2008, 11:21 AM
I had that problem with my 2. Food would fall right in front of there face and nothing. One day i was at a pet store and happend to see one of those worm cones. I thought id give it a swirl bought it then went to my LFS and bought some black worms. Set up the cone dropped the worms and right away they came out and swam straight at em. Theyre pretty happy now.

Esquire
09-29-2008, 11:54 AM
I guess my picky eater was slower getting over the salt dosing & large WC than the rest.

He just ate my finger off during the last feeding and was the boss of the group during it.
Discus are funny.

Boy do they like the Omega one stuff. I also like the way it slowly drops after floating on top giving all fish opportunities all around the tank. They always clean up every piece.

chemjab
09-29-2008, 03:14 PM
Glad to hear your picky princess is starting to eat well.

I have had a similar problem with a 4" PB. I swear I never saw it eat for 3 months, but it still looked health. I couldn't figure out where it was eating.
I feed a home made beef heart, flakes and pellets. All the others devour like its the best stuff ever.

I bought a couple bags of live brine shrimp from a LFS and dumped all of them in. It was like a snow storm.:D The one on hunger strike went crazy eating as fast as possible.
Now he/she is not the most aggressive eater, but always take some of the beef heart. I am relieved about that.

Recently I added 4 new residents. 2 green SS (2.5") and a blue PB and silver PB (both 4")
The little guys are not bashful and eat very agressively right along side a 5" blue PB and 6" wild brown. However the 4"ers run and hide at feeding times.
I am hoping they are just not used to me, the schedule, the set up etc yet.

Yesterday I found 5 earthworms on the driveway after the rain. That was big fun in discus town. Lots of tug O' War and chase the guy with the worm. Even the two new PB's got in on the fun. So there's hope for them yet. :D

09-30-2008, 10:48 AM
I would be sure and rinse any worms really well. especially ones found on the lawn or driveway you never know what pesticides or fertilizers your neighbor is treating his lawn with. It would be better i think to raise your own .;)