PDA

View Full Version : aging vs. not aging

calihawker
09-29-2008, 12:22 PM
The good news. I have super soft tap water gh/kh less than 1, ph starts at 8.2 and then ages nicely down to 7.35 after 24 hours. No chloramine, no ammonia, no chemicals to add.

The bad news. I can only age 50 gallons at a time. I do a 50% water change on my 300 gallon tank once a week.

The question. Will the ph shift once a week be detrimental to my newly arriving discus? A third of the w/c water will be aged and I can use prime to strip chlorine from the rest.

I have about 60 harlequin rasbora's that are healthy and happy with these conditions. Just want to make sure the discus will be too:)

Steve

Don Trinko
10-01-2008, 09:37 AM
One thing is puzzeling; normaly when you age water the ph will go up because of gasses leaving the water. (mostly co2)
Normaly a ph difference of .2 is considered insignificant. It is also considered easier on the fish to go from a low ph to a high ph.
If you add the water slowly (15 to 20 minutes) I doubt that you will have any problem because of ph. Make sure the temperature is close to tank temp. I pump mine in with a pump and it does take a while. Don T.