PDA

View Full Version : nervous

G550
09-30-2008, 02:00 PM
have two pairs that laid eggs hatched and just started to come off the cone and neither of the parents like this so they keep putting the fry back on the cone. they are sooo nervous that the fry are leaving that they are eating the fry just when they are getting ready to attach to the parents. any recommendations. the parents are pigeon bloods and they dont seem to be getting dark eaither. both pair are just about 9 months old
:angry::confused:

KimR
09-30-2008, 03:09 PM
I have had a similar experience, mine are pigeon's as well. I get as far as wigglers, then when they start to fall/come off the cone thats when they eat them. I have come to realize, that I just let them be, and one day they will get it right. I have a cone in my tank, and they have only used it twice, they seem to prefer the filter tube.

Just give them some time, practice makes perferct. Good luck.

G550
09-30-2008, 06:06 PM
thanks Ill be patient, I almost want to put the wigglers in with some angel babies the same age whos parents are great. Na I wont do that, but its tempting>:angel::angel:

KimR
09-30-2008, 06:34 PM
from what I have been told is its hard for the fry to attach to pigeons b/c of their colouring....also I have been told that if you have anything dark in the tank the wigglers seem to go towards the darkness. I also turn my air stone off when I get to the wiggler stage, so there isn't as much movement in the tank.

Yes patience for sure.

AADiscus
09-30-2008, 08:14 PM
We do not have problems with our pigeons with getting fry to attach. However, if they are only 9 months old they are just young and inexperienced. You might at times have to help them by lowering the water level and stuff like that. Lots of threads on that but do ask when you get close again. We will walk you thru it. Also, alot of times the parents will put them in there mouths but will spit them out somewhere. Are you sure they are eating them?

G550
09-30-2008, 08:40 PM
I watch them put it in their mouth and spit them back to the walls and the other pair was 1 day ahead of these and the wigglers are gone after they moved them 3 times it seems like they arre cant control the kids so they just get rid of them. at what point should i email you next time so this quits?
thanks for info so far:angel:

AADiscus
10-01-2008, 07:36 AM
Just start a thread when they lay eggs and everyone will walk you thru the process. I still think they are to young and it will take some time for them to grow out of it. Some don't grow out of it.

G550
10-01-2008, 10:28 AM
the fry want to attach but the parents keep putting them back in the corner.
they arent eating them though going to start the bbs tonight and hopefully they will begin to attach. thanks AA:angel:

KimR
10-01-2008, 05:30 PM
We do not have problems with our pigeons with getting fry to attach. However, if they are only 9 months old they are just young and inexperienced. You might at times have to help them by lowering the water level and stuff like that. Lots of threads on that but do ask when you get close again. We will walk you thru it. Also, alot of times the parents will put them in there mouths but will spit them out somewhere. Are you sure they are eating them?

You are lucky you dont have any problems, I certainly do, mine are not as young as his/hers. My mom is about 4 and the dad is about 2 - 2 1/2. I am sure one day they will get it right, but its been a great experience up until the wiggler stage, for me anyway.