PDA

View Full Version : Confession and experience of an idiot...

Sandip
10-01-2008, 12:36 PM
When i was studying the books on discus keeping, some devil inside me said that i need to raise a few babies to see if i can. Experimenting with live fishes is bad, but the devil inside me won. I started keeping discus around a fortnight back. It was not a moments decision. I studied a lot about discus keeping and then bought these babies. My aim was to grow babies in to giants! I had a approx 22 gallon very very old tank lying vacant at our lobby for years. I decided to grow discus in that tank. With all the bookish and “internet” knowledge i started to look for discus babies. To my surprise most of the retailers were selling only grown up discus in kolkata. Very few were actually selling juveniles!
There is a big time fish seller in kolkata named LALA. He is famous for selling costly fishes. And this man is famous for selling discus.
So i went to the Sunday Morning Fish market in kolkata and asked for juvenile discus from LALA. He showed me few 1 inch discus. After seeing them i asked him if i can see his actual stocking tank(after all thats what all the books and knowledgeable people advices). So he gave me his address. After i went there he showed me a 3.5 feet tank, where there were more than 100 discus babies of average 1inch size. All of them very pale in colour. Fins clamped. Few dead fishes were floating too! I was asked to select from among these. Initially i thought i will not buy, but later someone inside me reminded “this is the storage tank of one of the most famous retailers in kolkata, u will find the same condition if not worse at others places too”.
So i decided to buy four.
After bringing them home i kept them in the 22 gallon tank, which has been kept running with just a sponge filter for the last 15 days. Only thing i used is a little bit of aged water from goldfish tank. Yes, the tank is not fully cycled. But couldn’t wait any longer for the cycling to complete. Actually gave in to my temptation.
Since i used to keep goldfish only, i never used a thermostat. So i bought a cheap thermostat. It was day time, water temp was already high. So i just floated the bag in the tank water. After half an hour i released the fishes.
In the evening i noticed that temperature was falling. So i put on the thermostat and went to a friends place.
When i came back, disaster had struck. The thermostat did not stop heating at the specified temperature. The water was extremely hot, enough to cause irritation when i dipped my fingers! But miraculously all the discus babies were still alive! I slowly reduced the water temperature by adding a little cold water from the freezer. And then letting the temp come down on its own.
After all these, i felt very guilty about keeping discus babies in an un-cycled tank. I thought they will be stunted and will probably die in a few days time. On top of this they have been boiled!
But i cared for them religiously. Changed 60% water every 12 hours! I used aged water only. I use two large buckets to age water for 24 hours.
By the way feeding is another story. Will tell that later.

Finally after 16days i have taken some pictures.
Experts kindly look at the pictures and tell me how are these fishes doing. Do they look good health wise. I am posting the pictures because from the last 3 days colour have started appearing! And my family members think they have grown in size too! What do u think about them?

The pictures are hazy because the tank glass is very very old(20 years). The glass is full of scratch marks.

Sandip
10-01-2008, 12:37 PM
some more

Peachtree Discus
10-01-2008, 01:06 PM
it's hard to say after only 16 days, especially since there were no "before" pictures. i would say if they are not dark then you are doing something right. i'm making some assumptions, but it's strange for such young fish to "color-up". i also don't think its good that the seller had unhealthly looking and dead fish floating around. with my experiece, i don't like to judge others fish. but some of their eyes look large.

a couple of issues... the heater - interested that the water was so hot that it irritated you but did not kill these young fish. u may want to get a better heater since it is such a vital part of keeping discus.

water - IMO...starting with goldfish water was not good. i have been told that goldfish water is highly polluted. also, starting with a tank that has not fully cycled is pretty dangerous for the fish. a good spike and :( keep up the water changes.

and....IMO these things don't make u an idiot. everybody makes mistakes

Boomer
10-01-2008, 06:45 PM
If you don't mind me asking, were you ever told how old these fish were? Or were you going by size alone for aging?

And to make you feel better..several years ago I had put a small group of discus in a tank to give to a friend of mine. Went to work, came home and found that our heater (that had been used for about 6-8months) had broken open inside the tank and bubbling inside the tubing. The thermoter we had (just your average glass one for an aquarium) was as high as it could go. When I put my finger in the tank, I found the water to be what I would consider a nice warm bath for a person. The fish appeared fine. No heavy breathing at all. I tried as hard as I could to not panic and lower the temp slowly with cool water. And...they actually made it through the ordeal. They went to their new home the next day and lived for some time with him (more than a year) before he gave up fishkeeping.

White Worm
10-01-2008, 08:48 PM
All of them very pale in colour. Fins clamped. Few dead fishes were floating too! I was asked to select from among these. Initially i thought i will not buy
You should have followed your initial instincts. Those dead fish died from something and that something was probably lack of care, disease, etc in which they all shared by being crammed in mass numbers. Your fish are surely older than you probably think they are. Large eyes for a small fish and not so good shapes show a life of bad conditions. I'm no expert but I have owned a few and seen many stunted discus. I would put these in that category. With time and care, they may end up looking much better but I dont think they will make that level of "Giants" that you desire. Find a better source and do some more research about quality characteristics in discus. Round shape and small eyes are first on the list. Color comes later as they get older.

Sandip
10-02-2008, 11:50 AM
I knew that discus babies with small eyes and round shape are of good quality. But all that is bookish knowledge i had. I had never seen discus babies before, because good quality juvenile discus is tough to find in my area!

steve.ryall
10-05-2008, 03:15 PM
These fish are not good quality either, they all show signs of bad stunting :(

GrillMaster
10-11-2008, 12:40 AM
When i was studying the books on discus keeping,

You should really research a lil more! There is a ton of info here on the forum...You just have to utilize it! :)

You cant grow 4 juvies out in a 22G tank...

happygirl65
10-11-2008, 03:49 PM
I wouldn't say that it can't be done....it would be difficult for sure to keep up with the constant water changes but several people had told me when I was starting to grow them out in a smaller tank (29g) and do daily or twice daily water changes....the key of course is that at some point (about 3-4 inches) you would have to move them to a larger tank.

Your discus do look stunted, some more than others. The large eye is an indication but you have them so you just have to do the best you can.

It doesn't mean they won't still be nice pets for you but you might want to get a larger tank and start with larger stock if you plan to breed later on. (Check out the simply sponsors....seriously you will not regret it)

Patience is key! You really should wait the 3-4 weeks for the tank to cycle before adding fish and definitely get a good heater and thermometer.

Sandip
10-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Thank you happy girl for your constructive reply. I will keep all the points in mind.

Actually simply sponsors wont be able to deliver fishes to the place where i live. Even if they do the fish will cost 3 times more due transport charges.

About my fishes. I giving them the best possible care. Actually juveniles better than the ones i have is simply not available in my town. So buying them and then giving them the best care is what i can do.
And finally i am setting up a large tank exclusively for the juvies. Will shift them when the tank is cycled.

Again thanking everyone who replied to my thread so far. Thanks for all your valuable inputs.

happygirl65
10-12-2008, 04:44 PM
I completely understand the costs involved in shipping and it does raise the price overall. I live in a very rural area and still had mine shipped overnight and they arrived safe and sound. If I had a local source I probably would have opted for getting them local as well.

Great idea getting a larger tank and letting it cycle before moving the fish over to it. You wont regret it. :)

If you eventually get more juvies just try to choose the ones with the smallest eyes (that look healthy etc)

Sometimes it is hard to tell with juvies whether they are stunted you kind of just have to do the best you can, follow all the tips and tricks listed here for feeding and maintenance and see what you end up with in a few months.

I wish you all the best! :)