PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with a Bully

Dave27
10-03-2008, 05:07 PM
I have 8 3.5" discus in a 50 gallon tank and 1 fish chases at random the other fish and nips at them. I don't see any damage, he just bullies them around. Like a dog herding sheep.

Is this normal and do I need to do anything about it?

sharkscott2
10-03-2008, 06:03 PM
I have 6 that are 3-3.5 inches, and have a similar situation. It typically involves food and I have 2 that do the bullying. Although neither can successfully bully the others enough to prevent them from eating. I believe it's normal behavior for Discus but would love to hear others answers. These are my first discus so I have no experience to speak from.

Palue
10-04-2008, 04:52 PM
I am new to Discus but use to breed Angels a few years back. One thing to remember is they are still cichlids. I don't think it matters if you have 2,5,8,etc there will always be a bully of the group.

As long as there is no tearing of fins I would just make sure that they are all getting food.

Do you plan on keeping all 8 of them??

I have also found (in my opinion) that a lightly planted tank seems to help somewhat. They pick away at the gravel, wood and plants to keep them occupied. I only have the 2 Discus but the big one likes to bully the smaller one at times but the little one is very bold and will go after the big one so all is even in the end.

I have also found out that Discus are much more friendly to their counterparts and don't shred each othe like Angels do.

:D

sharkscott2
10-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Mine actually don't go for the fins. They tend to bite at the side of the body or right on the forehead.

Palue
10-05-2008, 02:03 PM
Then spank him.....:D

Just kidding, do they do any damage or are they just touching them??

:angel:

susantroy1
10-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Dave
In my experience it is completely normal behavior as the ones that are chased around at feeding time will eventually grow and you very well may see the pecking order change as thier sizes change. I geuss size does matter in their world;)

All The Best
Troy

ncyracer
10-05-2008, 06:07 PM
Dave
In my experience it is completely normal behavior as the ones that are chased around at feeding time will eventually grow and you very well may see the pecking order change as thier sizes change. I geuss size does matter in their world;)

All The Best
Troy

I agree. This happens to all my discus. Their just figuring out who the boss is.;)

sharkscott2
10-05-2008, 10:03 PM
No damage to any of mine as of yet. I worry more about some of my barb schools in other tanks then these discus. At least so far.

calihawker
10-05-2008, 10:20 PM
It's funny, the one that I recognized as the bully in my new group is the only one that has a nip out of his fin. I guess someone got tired of his $#!@;)

Steve

prolude006
10-08-2008, 07:48 AM
my smaller cobalt dominates my .5" larger red turk. Very aggressive little guy. Im a little worried about the turk. He hides but then he pops up and bam back to chasing!!

Hopefully the new additions will fix it.

Good luck to yourself as well.

architect1
10-14-2008, 06:16 PM
that is true there is always one.
the more discus you have the slower the runting is, so everyone is = picked on.
I have one blue diamond that is about 7" and he was alwasy the sh_t in the tank. I named him Alpha basta_d, and he did it all for his high school sweet heart, tiger which is a 6" blue turq.

now when i took them out and put them in the breeder tank everyone started fighting in the tank. so now i'm wondering what will happen when i put them back.