PDA

View Full Version : Discus Breeders in South Carolina?

thebigone
10-04-2008, 05:49 AM
Are there any discus breeders in South Carolina? I am looking to get some discus in the next few weeks to a few months. I have a 125 gallon tank. I would like any ideas of how many discus I could put in there. Also, if i didn't do any live plants would that hurt my tank as far as keeping discus?

Thanks,
Josh

Discus-n00b
10-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Unfortunently no. :( Where abouts are in you SC? Just curious as if someone around here were to order from somewhere we could save a little on shipping and combine the order. Shipping sucks but i suggest you check into the sponsers of this website, all are great people with great fish. No one breeding that i know of in SC though.

Nope, live plants won't matter. :) I keep all of my tanks bare.

thebigone
10-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Hey Matt! Thanks for visiting my thread. I'm in Lexington,SC. I talked to one of my buddies and he said that he knows a guy that all he does is breeds discus. He is actually waiting on him to have some now. He is going to keep me informed on the progress. Also I know someone else that can sell some discus but i havn't talked to him in a while and he is in Irmo. I trust this guy because alot of my fish buddies introduced him to me and he won't sell you anything unless it is a good fish. If it is sick or he don't think that it is a good fish at that time he won't sell you the fish. If you want some more info. and this guy just let me know. He told me that he could get just about anything that I wanted as far as the type of discus. I just have to let him know and it might take a few days to come in but he will want to keep them for a week or two first to make sure they are heathy. Let me know if you do find any other breeder in SC.

Thanks,
Josh

Carolina discus
10-04-2008, 11:01 PM
I am in NC...hope some fry on pairs backs right now...will have pairs available soon as well...have some adult LSS that I need to move soon as well...

Be glad to help out.....

Eric

Discus-n00b
10-04-2008, 11:50 PM
Yes, talk to Eric, he has outstanding fish too. And is about as local as you are going to get. ;)

thebigone
10-05-2008, 01:13 AM
Eric,
Do you have any pics. that you can post? If so I would love to see them. Where in NC are you? Would you ship? What kind of prices are you talking about? Just wondering a few things. I am new to discus and have done some research on them and want to keep them. I already have a tank for them to go in but I want to establish the tank a little more and put more plants in before I get the fish. What are the conditions that you have for your discus? If there is any insight on what I need to do to make my discus tank the best for them I would like to hear what you would have to say. How many discus can you fit in a 125 gallon tank? I would like to know the most that I could put in there.

Thanks,
Josh

Carolina discus
10-05-2008, 07:49 AM
Josh,
Hope your well....here are a few pics...best thing to do is call me and we can talk when your ready...my cell is 704-236-7047. I am in Wingate about 45 mins out of Charlotte and shiping is no problem.

Let me know if you have something specific you are looking for....

Thanks

Eric

mastiffff
10-05-2008, 10:29 AM
in here at hilton head, sc got my discus from kenny. omn my experience the cost of shipping was well worth it. i highly suggest that its better to pay for the shipping.

Carolina discus
10-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Most of my fish are hand picked by Kenny for breeding stock then raised to meet my standards...you can call Kenny and get a reference on me if you like........

Discus-n00b
10-05-2008, 02:27 PM
Josh, I just got a pair of fish from Eric and i must say....wow, they are awesome. Big, healthy, and very personable. I too would recommend kenny with the highest reguards, but i think we all know shipping from the Charlotte area to Lexington/Columbia would be better then Cali to SC. And with Eric breeding fish from Kenny/Forrest's stock its even better! Both are very good guys to deal with.

thebigone
10-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks for all your imput on this. Eric, as soon as I get my tank fully cycled I will give you a call. It has been cycling for a month now so I hope maybe a month or so and it will be ready. Another question is how many discus do you think I can fit in a 125 gallon tank? I was thinking maybe 10 - 15. Is that a good number to shoot for or do you think that is too much? Eric, do you have any of the Golden Pandas,White Butterflies, also what does RGD stand for?

Thanks,
Josh

Carolina discus
10-05-2008, 03:39 PM
Matt...thanks for the input....
I also highly recommend Kenny as he is not only a excellent supplier of quality fish...he is also a friend of mine...if you order from Kenny you will not be disapointed!

I do have some white butterflys, white scorpions, golden, and golden butterflys but they are all close to pairing off....in your 125g, are you planning bb or planted? also size you want to start with? I usually keep 25 or so 2.5" in a 120g and go from there....pulling as they grow for breeder stock....remember you will lose a few along the way to illness, jumping, or just death.....if I am bringing in something I want to work with, I will buy at least 12 if possible as I will lose a few...if I end up with 6-8 really good ones then that is ok with me.

As far as adults you could keep 8-12 adults in a 125g with no problems...

RGD is red golden diamond....here are a few I am growing out of RGD's and Flamingos.....these are about 4.5" or so...

Again, give me a call and I will be glad to answer any questions.....

Also planning another discus workshop for the new year....will be posting info soon, hope all of you in NC/SC will be able to make it this time....

Thanks

Eric

Wahter
10-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Eric will definitely take care of you - he's keeps his place very clean and so his fish are very healthy. He puts in a lot of time in his fish room making sure everything is just right - just ask his family! LOL!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Walter

thebigone
10-05-2008, 11:49 PM
Thanks Eric. I am going to have them in a planted tank. So, I should start out with more then I want at first just like any other fish and expect to lose a few? Shouldn't lose more then what 4 or 5? I'll give you a call sometime.

Thanks,
Josh

Kenny's Discus
10-08-2008, 02:32 AM
Eric my bro,

Thanks for kind recommendation but to be 100% honest with you, upon seeing how those small fish I sent you many months ago grew to their current EXCELLENT form under your care; both you and I know that ALL CREDITS should go to you only. How many times do I need to repeat this Eric my friend;

You are one great discus hobbyist/breeder/human being!!!:):D I have nothing but the highest regards for you when it comes to discus quality and this comes from my heart.:)

Josh, I'm sure Eric will take good care of you and the most important thing is if you decide to go with Eric you'll be assured to be dealing with someone with knowledge and high integrity. I think the pics Eric posted already speak volumes.(remember they were small juvies when I sent them to him)

Not to hi-jack this thread so a quick thank you to mastiffff and Matt for their kind comments. Wahter, what you said about Eric I couldn't agree more!!!:thumbsup:

Kenny

thebigone
10-08-2008, 06:05 AM
Kenny,

I just have to say that the fish you have sold are very very nice. I love your Golden Pandas.

Eric,

One day when I get a free min. I will have to give you a call and ask you a few things. I work night shift so it is hard for me to call at night and I sleep during the day. I will make time to call and talk to you one day so you can answer some questions that I have before I buy my discus.

Thanks for all your input and help along the way. I couldn't have asked for any better people to help me out with everything. That means alot to me.

I would like to see any pics. of peoples fish or how they have their tank(s) set up.

Thanks,
Josh

Carolina discus
10-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Man...I need to let Mama and the kids read the posts...I could use some TLC at home sometimes!!!! JK....

To close the loop on this, I spoke with Josh this am and we talked for a while....he is interested in a planted tank so I answered what I could and referred him to Dan at GCD as the planted tank "guru" and having nice fish as well....

I explained that due to tank space restrictions, I usually have young adults or 1.5"-2" fry available....fish in the 3"+ range are very difficult for me as I just don't have the room....and Kenny I would highly recommend as a source for ANY fish but espically 3"+....
Josh is looking to be ready after the first of the year and hopefully one of us will help him get off to a great start!!!!

h20delta
07-14-2009, 10:27 PM
I have been a customer of Eric's and have nothing but praise for Eric and his fish. I drive from Sumter; it takes me about 1.75 hours, but that is still better than waiting for the shipping (and cheaper) and you get to pick the fish out and meet the man, himself. I would recommend that you don't get a large number of fish to begin with, because you need the bacteria to build up to handle the nitrogen wastes, so a little at a time makes that happen easier, expecially since it sounds like you are just setting up the tank. You won't be disappointed if you make the trip to Eric's place.