PDA

View Full Version : EGGS AGAIN

G550
10-04-2008, 05:08 PM
AADISCUS THEY LAID EGGS AGAIN AND IM POSTING THE THREAD SO THAT SOMEONE WILL WALK ME THOUGH THIS. THEY ARE IN 55 BB AND HAVE ONE LIGHT ON. THEY LAID ON THE LIFT TUBE AGAIN THAT I ALREADY CLOSED DOWN AND PUT A SPONGE ON THE INTAKE SO THEY WONT GET SUCKED INTO THE BIOWHEEL INTAKE. i ALSO HAVE A SMALL POWER HEAD AT THE OTHER END WITH 3 LARGE SPONGES ON IT FOR BIO FILTRATION. THE WATER IS AT 3PPM HARDNESS AND THE PH IS AROUND 7-7.2. PLEASE HELP KEEP THESE ALIVE THE PARENTS LET THEM HATCH BUT THEY KEEP PUTTING THEM BACK ON THE WALL AND IF ANY VENTURE OFF THEY PUT THEM BACK NOT ALLOWING THEM TO ATTACH TO THEM. I TRIED BRINE SHRIMP ONCE THEY STARTED TO FREE SWIM BUT THEY DIDNT SEEM INTERESTED AND THEY ALL EVENTUALLY DISAPEARED.:confused:

G550
10-07-2008, 10:20 AM
can anyone help last batch gone again but the pair in the 30 have eggs on the cone again> please help walk me through this:angel:

ShinShin
10-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Leave the parents alone. They know what they are doing.Try feeding the fry at 4-5 days free swimming. Keep us posted after the fry are eating bbs for a week. I do regular water changes during the entire period.

Mat

AADiscus
10-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Sorry I missed this post and I have been out of town.

The best thing you can do is lower the water level once they start free swimming. Take it to just above the top fin of the parents. If you know forsure which one is eating them then pull that fish. If not then try taking the female out. A 55 gal is a little big for breeding also. IMO

G550
10-08-2008, 07:44 PM
went down to a 20 they laid eggs again and then 2 days later ate the eggs not sure which one next time ill try to lower the water. do you do this after they lay the eggs or when the babies start to come off the cone. thanks for your help:angel:

G550
10-08-2008, 07:46 PM
do you continue the water changes with ro mix or do you start to harden the water with just normal tap water, and at what point?:angel::angel:

ShinShin
10-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Personally, I have never lowered the water for any reason. I also do not alter my water change routine. I have always kept water parameters exactly the same during the entire spawning process, from courtship up until I have taken the fry from parents.

Mat

doc3toes
10-08-2008, 10:51 PM
lower it when they come off the cone. i go to 3-4 25% WCs a day instead of big one. i use tap water and dechlor (aqua plus). good luck. might take a few trys for your pair so dont give up. post a pic of the parents, eh.:D

G550
10-09-2008, 10:22 PM
here is the male the females not up for posing tonight:angel:

G550
10-09-2008, 10:36 PM
pic of female

G550
10-12-2008, 09:43 AM
woke up at 4am to watch mom eating all the eggs so i pulled her and then left when i came home all eggs were gone so dad sucks also. this is starting to get frustrating, 1000s of eggs and babies gone, but mom and dad arent hungry. HELPPPPPP:angel:

AADiscus
10-13-2008, 02:34 PM
I will not lower the water until they start free swimming. I slowly start switching there water over to straight aged tap water when they are wigglers. I do not like to do multiply small wc's a day. They get 2 wc's a day at approx 80-90%. Sometimes more when they are eating bbs. I know it is getting frustrating but hang in there. If discus breeding was easy everyone would do it. lol You have to have alot of patience! Hopefully as they get a little bit older they will grow out of eating the eggs.

G550
10-16-2008, 10:30 AM
switched the breeders with each other and still breeeding but still eating the eggs after 2 days, I know they are fertile as ive seen wigglers only once before and then they ate them. May try artificial next time and see how it goes. this is really starting to suck. they act like good parents for a couple of days and then the kids are consumed.:mad::angry:

Peachtree Discus
10-16-2008, 03:28 PM
after they lay eggs, try...doing nothing. i had a pair that no matter what i tried they would eat the eggs. eventually, i left them alone (really i gave up) and after a couple of weeks they had freeswimmers.

G550
10-17-2008, 02:49 PM
thanks, i wont do any water changes it seems like this is what puts them over the edge. Ill let you know when i get some free swimmer that atttach.:fish: