PDA

View Full Version : My Discus. Finally!

calihawker
10-04-2008, 11:30 PM
Well it's well over a year since I started this project, a 300 gallon high tech planted discus tank, and I finally got my fist batch of discus. I picked up 12 highfin leopard snake skins from my friend who manages one of the big wholesalers in the san francisco bay area. I don't know how to judge the quality of discus but my friend said that they are supposed to be ultra premium from a breeder in Singapore. I'm really happy with them and they seem to be very healthy. Eating like pigs the first day.

They'll spend some time growing out in a 60 gallon cube. 75% water changes daily. I'm trying different foods on them to see what works best. I'd like to get them on flakes or pellets 2 or 3 times a day so I can use a feeder but so far they don't care for they tetra bits and they don't eat the flakes while they're floating. They sure love blood worms though and I feed beef heart at the end of the day and then do the water change in the morning.

Here's some pictures as well as how the display looks today. It'll look a lot better once the discus are in there:D

gotfish?
10-05-2008, 12:16 AM
i cant wait to see those awesome fish growout and go to your awesome tank!! ive been waiting to see what kind of fish your putting that tank, and i cant wait to see how the combo turns out...:)

susantroy1
10-05-2008, 12:28 AM
Very nice hawker;)

Those will look awesome in there. Excellent job on the Planted Tank as well.

All The Best
Troy

1Chuck9669
10-05-2008, 12:32 AM
Oh, man

You got one nice set-up there :D Your determination and patience has paid off!!! Best of luck!

May Our Threads Cross Again...

chemjab
10-05-2008, 08:44 AM
Superb! The planted tank looks awesome:D and the LEOs look good to. It's going to be amazing when they grow out.

James

ncyracer
10-05-2008, 06:03 PM
My fish at first would not eat the granuals. After about a weekor two they really began to love them. You should try to just keep feeding it to them and eventually they should go for it.
HITH:D

calihawker
10-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Thanks a lot!!
I wasn't expecting to get so many great looking fish that are so healthy and viable, I was hoping for 6 or 8 at best out of a batch of 12 but it looks like I'm gonna have some extra fish. I might see if I can get a breeding pair out of them. The next batch are going to be turquoise and red melons and if I have room after that some goldens.

I feed BW in the morning, they go crazy, then tetra color bits, it sinks to the bottom and it all seems to get eaten, frozen brine shrimp in the afternoon, some tetra flakes which they don't care for but eventually gets eaten and BH before lights out then a big water change in the morning. I won't be able to keep up this hand feeding schedule indefinately so I need to get the auto feeders going at some point, but right now I just really enjoy having them come up to the front of the tank waiting to be fed!!

Steve

susantroy1
10-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Thanks a lot!!
I wasn't expecting to get so many great looking fish that are so healthy and viable, I was hoping for 6 or 8 at best out of a batch of 12 but it looks like I'm gonna have some extra fish. I might see if I can get a breeding pair out of them. The next batch are going to be turquoise and red melons and if I have room after that some goldens.

I feed BW in the morning, they go crazy, then tetra color bits, it sinks to the bottom and it all seems to get eaten, frozen brine shrimp in the afternoon, some tetra flakes which they don't care for but eventually gets eaten and BH before lights out then a big water change in the morning. I won't be able to keep up this hand feeding schedule indefinately so I need to get the auto feeders going at some point, but right now I just really enjoy having them come up to the front of the tank waiting to be fed!!

Steve

Hawker you might want to try Omega One Marine Flakes with garlic;)

My little guys would not touch the Tetra Flakes but they almost jump out of the tank when I hand feed them the Omega one Flakes. even my big slab blue turqs chase after a loose flake in the 140G:)

All the Best

Troy

calihawker
10-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks Troy, I'll try it!

Steve