PDA

View Full Version : Newby from Loveland Colorado

joampe
10-05-2008, 06:32 PM
Hi All,
I have been keeping tropicals and salts for decades; but now I want to keep the Kings. I grew up when only wilds were available, so there I'm dating myself. I can't believe the colors and varieties available today. After much consideration about what I wanted to keep, I guess I'm old enough to be sort of nostalgic about those wilds I saw when I was growing up. I'd like to start by purchasing about 6 wilds for my 90 gal aquarium. Any suggestions would be appreciated. John

DiscusDreamer
10-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Hey whats up and welcome to the forums. I'm from greeley, so its cool to see some colorado people on here. I dont think any of the fish stores in colorado have any decent discus for sale, let alone wilds, but these forums should help you find what you are looking for.

joampe
10-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the welcome. :) You're right no wilds locally. I've been looking on-line and doing some e-mail. Seems like wilds start becoming available Oct-Nov thru March. So I wait have to see what materializes. :( Tanks at ready and cycling well.

1Chuck9669
10-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Right on!

Another Colorado Discus Keeper :D I'm down in Pueblo. Only one LFS carries Discus here. I got my batch of Discus from WV Discus, which operates out of Lakewood. Personally, I think I'll order my next group from one of the suppliers from the Simply site. Good Luck, keep us informed of your progress.

May Our Threads Cross Again...

DiscusDreamer
10-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Since your going to invest in wilds, i strongly recommend you get Heiko Bleher's book Bleher's Discus Volume 1. It is an amazing resource and will help you find the wild's you want.

joampe
10-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Since your going to invest in wilds, i strongly recommend you get Heiko Bleher's book Bleher's Discus Volume 1. It is an amazing resource and will help you find the wild's you want.

That's one of the first books I bought. Thanks that makes me feel like I'm doing things right, so far :D. John

joampe
10-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Right on!

Another Colorado Discus Keeper :D I'm down in Pueblo. Only one LFS carries Discus here. I got my batch of Discus from WV Discus, which operates out of Lakewood. Personally, I think I'll order my next group from one of the suppliers from the Simply site. Good Luck, keep us informed of your progress.

Thanks for the welcome Chuck. I'm still trying to learn how to navigate the Simply site. Where can I find suppliers on the site? I don't mind giving them business if the have what I want. John

1Chuck9669
10-06-2008, 10:16 PM
Hey John,

You probably have found them, but use the "forum jump" at the the bottom of a thread, click on the arrow, scroll until you find "the marketplace", and there you will find what you seek.

Have Fun...:D

DiscusDreamer
10-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Since your looking for wilds, you'll have to do some searching on the section "From the Source: The Amazon" I found some people that located wilds on this thread: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=64557
Don't be afraid to start a new post asking for quality wilds as the season is about to start. Good luck!

rowedder
10-23-2008, 09:35 PM
Hey John,
Welcome aboard! I have been pondering selling heckles, is that what you are looking for? I can supply them with some advance notice. What size?

Glad to have you aboard John.

obsessed
10-30-2008, 02:02 AM
Hi John,

I live in Fort Collins. Sometimes I have some babies for sale, and have some growing out now. These are an odd "accidental" mix, so probably not what you want! They are a wild type looking fish crossed with a cobalt.....could be interesting..or maybe not

I do have some very nice wild Alenquers that i have gotten one pair out of but they have only spawned in the community tank and were eventually snapped up! I haven't gotten any fry in their new home yet, but at any rate, none of this is in your time frame.

However, feel free to come over and visit! It will force me to clean house a bit!

Paul

DiscusDreamer
10-31-2008, 09:15 AM
Makes me happy to see so many colorado people one here. didn't think there were that many...

1Chuck9669
11-01-2008, 12:00 AM
Makes me happy to see so many colorado people one here. didn't think there were that many...

Ditto,

Maybe we all can start a Colorado Discus club :D. I sure would like to have F2F meetings every so often to catch the intangables. Any thoughts???

obsessed
11-01-2008, 02:55 PM
could be good!
whats F2F?
I think I could get a few people that would go once anyway.
In Denver there are a lot more people.

Paul

obsessed
11-01-2008, 03:24 PM
Heres a couple of fish i bought from Alberto at www.aquatechnics.net
Unfortunately he went underground or something a couple of years ago. i am very happy i got to visit him while i could.

i have a friend in Fort Lauderdale and i am tempted to have him just go knock on Albertos door!

these have spawned and had babies in a community tank, but not in their own 50 gallon they are in now.

i have cobalts, leopards, wild Alenquers, some others that we will call "alenquer" x leopard, and some babies from an accident, my F2 "Alenquer" x Cobalt. it'll be interesting to see what i get from this.... probably a grey discus with no marklings!

What do you all have?

PAul

1Chuck9669
11-01-2008, 11:51 PM
Hi Paul,

F2F is Face to Face. I have a couple of silver piegons, a red dragon (what the dealer called it), three red pigeons, a snakeskin, two red turq's and two blue turk's. I know that the Colorad Aquarium Society has a meeting in Wheat Ridge on the first friday of the month. I have never been to one but would like to someday. Their website is www.coloradoaquarium.org

Sorry about the shoddy pic's. Also, I've gotten rid of the plastic plant and have gone all natural.

CHADFISH
11-19-2008, 10:38 PM
Hi all, I just joined this Forum and am surprised to see so many Coloradans on here. I have been raising Discus on and off for 12 years and only recently came upon this site. Alot of interesting reading on here, so much I get lost and hours fly by!! Hope to chat with some of ya!

T/C .... CHADFISH

obsessed
11-20-2008, 12:10 AM
where do you live Chad?

CHADFISH
11-21-2008, 12:22 AM
I grew up in Eaton but now live in Denver. I say I have been raising Discus on and off because I used to have 4 breeding pairs, and 2 - 75 gal comm. tanks and 2 - 75 gal grow out tanks. I went elk hunting 7 years ago and when I got back home, some punk threw the breaker in the back of my house and all my fish died. It cost me alot of money and time and I was devistated, so I have been slowly trying to get back into the hobby but cant find many quality fish in the Denver area. I came across this site and there are sure some nice fish on here, and I feel like I'm about to spend alot of money!... LOL

Cheers

obsessed
11-21-2008, 02:16 AM
let me know when you want to buy some fish...
i may have something for sale, adults and juvies.....

CHADFISH
11-21-2008, 02:38 PM
That RSG is absolutely beautiful!!! I would be very interested in some of those juvies! Im going to Ft Collins this w/end to see the inlaws, P.M. me and maybe I could stop by? Thanks for the response and the offer,

Chadfish

obsessed
03-04-2009, 01:56 AM
i currently have these adults for sale just to reduce my "collection". just too many fish and i have juvies i want to grow out to a large size.
they are 3 years old and i want $60 each or $150 for all 3.

thanks
paul