PDA

View Full Version : Whats your Hospital tank set up and

Dave27
10-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Whats your hospital tank set up and do you keep it going all the time.

If so How do you keep it going with no fish in it.

Don Trinko
10-07-2008, 04:09 PM
I have a 20H that I do a fishless cycle on and then add 1/2 teaspoon of ammonia 3 times a week to keep it cycled. You have to wait a day or two after adding ammonia to put fish in. (IMO You should have a ammonia,nitrite,nitrate, and ph test kit as a minimum.)
However in most cases ( unless it is a horrible contagious disease) I normaly treat them in there home tank. Don T

Harriett
10-07-2008, 04:14 PM
I keep a 40breeder with a good sized aquaclear running on it going all the time in a room separate from my fish with a separate water source and hoses for water changes, etc. I just keep a couple healthy fish of some kind in there all the time. If I have to QT, I move the guys that are in there into one of the other healthy tanks and do a water change--ready for the QT guys. I do very long QT periods--usually about 3 months--so it's QT which turns into grow out...by the time they outgrow the QT tank, I really know they are safe to go into the main aquariums in another room. I also always move a healthy fish from one of the tanks into the QT tank and watch them for a week or two to make sure nobody is harboring a problem that didn't show up in their own group.
Best regards
Harriett

10-09-2008, 05:55 AM
I keep a few guppies in ten gallon quarantine to keep bacteria alive.

brewmaster15
10-09-2008, 09:02 AM
Hospitol tanks don't need to be running all the time and by my thinking....shouldn't be:) A hospital tank is by definition a tank thats used to house and treat Sick fish ( and in some cases...qt new ones).. If you are treating a sick fish...the tank should be sterilized when you are done...same for QTs....so that you start with a clean slate when you need that tank.

Maintaining a bio filter is easy and can be done in your existing tanks... here I just maintain a little extra filtration than I need...and when ever I need a biofilter for a tank..I just need to take some biofilter out...... conversely you can easily maintain a Biofilter in a bucket with ammonia as Don indicated....just don't use the biofilter from a Hopsital tank that had sick fish .

hth,
al

10-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Damn! i really need to be more attentive. original post asked about hospital tank as opposed to quarantine. I use ten gal as quarantine and rubbermaid tub for hospital tank. Thankfully I have not needed to hospitalize fish for some time.

Dave27
10-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Thanks all for the info everyone.
Brewmaster15 that is what I am going to be doing and thought it was the best solution for my needs.

Alfred
10-13-2008, 03:08 PM
How would this be as a solution.

I have a pre filter sponge on a Aqua Clear 100 with a sponge in it and the top above the sponge is packed with Bio glass on a 50 gal grow out tank.
I also have a sponge filter in that tank.

Would it be enough to take the established sponge from inside the Aqua clear on the above tank and replace it with a new one then use the used sponge by itself in a smaller Aqua clear hang on filter on a 29 gal Hospital or QT tank.

Would that sponge be enough bio for the 29 gal tank?
Then you just pitch the sponge when the Hospital or QT is done

Don Trinko
10-13-2008, 03:48 PM
You will know if it is enough. If you get a ammonia or nitrite spike it is not enough. It's always a good thing to check ammonia and nitrites in a QT/sick tank because the bioload is not consistant. You can add chemicals and/or do WC if you do have a mini cycle. Don T.