PDA

View Full Version : How would this work as a Bio filter

Dave27
10-09-2008, 10:32 AM
As an addition to any tank with a filter all ready on it and established.

Use Just about any container ( food worthy )
Lets say a plastic 1 liter water or soda bottle, the kind with no glue on the label, they just peel off.
Drill holes 1/8 " along the bottom side every inch all the way around.
Put an airstone in the bottom of bottle and fill it with glass bio.
Air moves the water up through the Bio out the top of the bottle.
Should work and if you ever need extra established bio for another startup or hospital quarantine tank, you have it.

What do you think?

susantroy1
10-09-2008, 11:08 AM
In theroy it should work but why not just add a 8-9$ sponge filter and xfere that to a new tank in the future if needed? Seems easier than reinventing the proverbial wheel.

All The Best

Troy

Dave27
10-09-2008, 11:16 AM
I agree. The reason I ask is I have extra glass and soda bottles laying around.
Might as well put them to work. :)

Now if i could just put the Beer bottles to use. Maybe I can build a house with em.

Graham
10-09-2008, 12:23 PM
Sounds like a lot of drilling for a reverse TT. Drill a few holes in the bottom of the bottle, suspend it above the tank and pump water up and into it allowing it to trickle down....excellant bio and aeration

susantroy1
10-09-2008, 08:25 PM
Sounds like a lot of drilling for a reverse TT. Drill a few holes in the bottom of the bottle, suspend it above the tank and pump water up and into it allowing it to trickle down....excellant bio and aeration

cheap wet/dry ;)

All The Best

Troy

Apistomaster
10-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Graham's idea is the best for a mini wet/dry using any porous ceramic or sintered glass media and a sponge filter is the most straight forward for pratical purposes.
The available surface area of the media determines the bioload it can support and generally needs hundreds of square feet of bacteria colonized surface area to immediately function as the sole biofilter for a typical discus tank.

Sounds more like a science fair experiment than a practical application.