PDA

View Full Version : New discus

ilaizm
10-13-2008, 04:24 AM
I had one discus for 4 weeks and am now planning to add another one.

1. Do I really have to quarantine the new discus?
2. Is it that important to not mix discus bought from a different LFS?

thanks.

10-13-2008, 06:25 AM
It is very hard for most of us to determine whther a fish is truly healthy and can immediately be placed in with fish you know are healthy. Were it me I would quarantine the fish. considering the price you may have paid for the new fish it is cheap insurance.;)

CraigG
10-13-2008, 11:01 AM
This is just from my expierence not really advise. This is my second time around having discus. I only have about 2 years total having them.

My first time I had Discus and Stingrays without a problem. This time which I just started up end of August I've decided to go Discus and Plants.

After my tank finished cycling(3 weeks later) I bought 5 Discus from 3 different pet stores.

My Snow White was really stressed and had alot of white stuff all over it (not ich). I put in Melafix and Pimafix and next day it was gone (reason I know it wasn't ich)

It took them from 3 days to a week to start eatting right. The Snow White took a few days longer.

As far as a QT tank. I've never had one which I think I will probably set on up soon. Just because medicating 75Gallons is a pain if something goes wrong. Lots and lots of medication.

I had started with 6 Pristella tetras (starter fish) they did great for a week, so I bought 6 German Blue rams and 6 Gold Rams (lost 2 Blues and 4 Golds) LFS said my water was fine that they are just known to die. They gave me a credit so I bought my Tiger pleco, 3 Corys, and 3 Octos. Third week I put in the Discus without a QT. I haven't lost anything since those rams.

4th week I put in plants.

Just my expierence I know everyone is going to have something different.

zamboniMan
10-13-2008, 03:19 PM
1. Not really unless you have breeding stock quarentene isn't such a big deal.
2. As long as they are all good looking from reputible lfs's no.

AADiscus
10-14-2008, 04:37 PM
You can always mix discus from different sources but in the beginning you want to QT the new ones before adding them to your existing tank. QT them for 6 weeks.

Sandy W
10-21-2008, 09:55 AM
How long can you expect a new addition to be unhappy? My singleton is out in the dark, but hiding during the day and not eating after about 30 hours. Should I be concerned?

doc3toes
10-21-2008, 09:43 PM
what is the tank size, substrate? also you are bound to have trouble with just 2 discus unless they are a pair. they like to be in groups 5-6 min. (IMO)

CraigG
10-21-2008, 09:50 PM
How long can you expect a new addition to be unhappy? My singleton is out in the dark, but hiding during the day and not eating after about 30 hours. Should I be concerned?

Took my original 5 about a week before they all started eatting readily. Seems every couple days another would start eatting more and more.

Then I added 3 more and they took 2 days to start eatting readily.

I've heard stories of it taking a month so its nothing to be too concerned about.

Enigma
10-23-2008, 02:06 PM
Hi, I'm new to SimplyDiscus.
I have 6 discus in a 55 bare bottom tank with community fish. A plant in pot and large drift wood. I have two that are beginning to show signs of pairing. The male is becoming very aggressive towards the smaller guys. I wasn't planning on raising discus. Would one just leave them together. Would you take out the one most picked on (that one's my favorite). The "mated" pair are not my favorite so I don't really want just them. I like them as a whole group.
Also would one ever just keep a mated pair? Would they be fine together forever in a 55 with community fish?
I would like a 90 gal or 120 gal. But that seems far off.
What would you do? :confused:

AADiscus
10-23-2008, 03:26 PM
You will be fine leaving them all in the 55 gal tank together. There will always be bulling but make sure that the one(s) getting bullied don't get to stressed out.

rowedder
10-23-2008, 11:20 PM
I would defianately quarentine any new fish, fish may appear healthy but if they are not, the symptoms of disease will show there ugly faces during that time. Then you have a better environment and a smaller amount of water to treat AND you in turn have saved all of your other fish from the unneccessary stress and disease. It's a good idea.

Eyecandy
11-03-2008, 10:15 AM
I always quarantine new fish. Not only for the obvious disease issue and disease treatment issues but because the new ones are stressed from the move.
IMO The new fish need to be in a stress free environment where they can get used to your water conditions, food etc. If you just put them in your tank, even if they are perfectly healthy the combo of stress and the other fish's already owning the tank might cause them to not eat as quickly and be bullied. Stress eventually leads to disease in discus. You want to give them the best possible chance for survival so get them as healthy and prepared as possible before combining them. It also gives you ample opportunity to observe the new ones behavior and see if there are any reasons, such as overly aggressive or overly bullied, you might want to exchange them or place them in another tank..
I do this for all fish for at least 2 weeks but for discus or anything going into a discus tank for at least 4 weeks and then move them only after they are all eating properly. I may be overly cautious, but this works for me as I've not had many health issues with my fish. HTH Sue:):)