PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions!

cyang
10-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Is fin flicking a sign of disease or normal discus behavior?

Does Melafix and/or Pimafix hurt the biofilter?

How do you guys acclimate fish? What exactly is "plop and drop" and why do some prefer it? Note: I did a search on this but there is so much on it that it is really hard to narrow it down and figure out the right info.

CraigG
10-14-2008, 11:07 AM
What do you mean by fin flicking? As long as its not a full body flicker, or them scratching against rock or my drift wood I leave it be.

I use both Melafix and Pimafix and haven't had a problem yet. I like it cause its all "natural" and hasn't harmed anything in my tank. Plants, Shrimp or fish.

Acclimating depends on the size and type of the fish for me.

Large fish or Stingrays: Go in a bucket with an airstone, and I do a slow drip from my tank into the bucket for about an hour, then I increase the drip flow for another 30 mins, and increase it again for another 30 mins. Through out the process I remove some water from the bucket.

If its a smaller fish and fits in a bag. I just float the bag for 15-20 mins and add water to the bag slowly every 15 mins.

Never heard of plop and drop. Doesn't sound like a good way to me....lol

Tropical Haven
10-14-2008, 01:47 PM
You can plop and drop as long as the PH in the bag is lower or the same as the tank that it is going into. Also remember that you need to get the water in your bag to the same temp as the tank that you are putting them in.