PDA

View Full Version : Hair Algae

CraigG
10-16-2008, 12:28 PM
So i have some hair algae only only 2 types of plants in my tank.

They are on my Amazon Broadleaf, and Micro amazon swords.

I have a 75 Gallon reef ready tank with a Wet/Dry filter on it.

Lighting is 2 65 watt 6700K bulb and 2 65 Watt 10,000K bulbs. They are on a timer, The 2 6700s go on at 8:00am and off at 7:30pm. The 2 10,000s go on at 11:30 and go off at 5:30.

I do have some root tabs in the sand for some of the plants, I also use flourish excel every other day, as well as API Leaf Zone every Tuesday.

I don't have a CO2 system at the current moment.

I do have other plants as well as moss balls and they don't have any of the hair algae on them.

Is there a good way to get them off the plants? Without having to pull the plants out and remove them (would be a little tough on the micro swords)? Would any type of fish or shrimp get them that wouldn't harm my Discus or German Blue Rams?

Thanks for any tips or advise.

PBsplats
10-16-2008, 03:48 PM
How old is the tank? When I first started my planted tank I got a huge hair algea bloom and took care of it by puttin phosphorus remover in my filter, lowering the light use, using algea destroyer, and by cutting all my fertilization in half. In about a week or so all the hair algea was gone.

CraigG
10-16-2008, 04:18 PM
Oh thanks, tanks been going for about 6 weeks plants are new only about 3 weeks in the tank.

Not used to having a planted tank this is my first time putting live plants into my tank.

White Worm
10-16-2008, 05:51 PM
UV filter. 24W. Run it for a week and you will see all algae die off, even the hair algae. Best $60 I have spent yet on the planted tank. C02 will also help with algae problem. For that size tank, get pressurized C02 and a drop checker, keep it at 30PPM and you will have little algae.

CraigG
10-16-2008, 06:19 PM
UV filter. 24W. Run it for a week and you will see all algae die off, even the hair algae. Best $60 I have spent yet on the planted tank. C02 will also help with algae problem. For that size tank, get pressurized C02 and a drop checker, keep it at 30PPM and you will have little algae.

I just ordered a Aqua Step 10w last night to help with a rio 200 (I think). It said the Rio is about 200gph flow and the UV was rated for 100G

I also ordered a chemical reaction unit for my extra media and peat

Thanks for your help.

White Worm
10-17-2008, 01:33 AM
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750628
Works great $60 for the 24W.

Graham
10-17-2008, 07:48 AM
As I've stated before a UV unit only affects what flows by it and hair algae doesn't flow by so it will not be affected.

White worm your attributing HA die off to the UV when actually your affecting it by the lights and CO2 that you're using. You're setting up conditions that are not suitable for HA.

If it where only as simple as you think no pond would ever have HA problems in there ponds.

brewmaster15
10-17-2008, 08:22 AM
I agree here with Graham...The UV filter can only affect what flows by it... so substrate issues like hair algae are not affected..

There is however a stage in the hair algaes life cycle where its water born... zoospores/spores..I have no idea what level UV and dwell times would be needed to kill Hair algae spores, but just wanted to mention theres a chance that it could at least in some way affect the further spread of hair algae.... still ...Uvs affect is minimal at best in dealing with hair algae.:(

Tom Barr has a good little write up here...
http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/month.200601/msg00349.html

HTH,
al

White Worm
10-17-2008, 12:10 PM
There are negative reactions from the hair algae concerning the addition of UV. I dont know exactly what it is but UV has its place in the equation. Green spot is also affected.

tacks
10-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Hi you can also squirt some excel directly on the hair algae. Do this a few times and it will die off. hth ED

Graham
10-17-2008, 05:22 PM
''...There are negative reactions from the hair algae concerning the addition of UV. I dont know exactly what it is but UV has its place in the equation. Green spot is also affected....''

Mother Nature leaves no voids ...if something is taken out, another thing will replace it and vice versa.

When you make things prefect for macro plants and they are thriving, then they use up all the nutrient in the water and they're good at it. That means the algae which was using all that nitrate, phosphate, iron, magnesium now has nothing to feed itself with and it dies out.

One of the things that we see all the time with people's ponds is that they'll have pea soup green water...they buy a UV to kill it off...then they have clear water...Then the hair algae starts, it has all that nutrient to feed off of.

Now if they buy macros plants like water lettuce or hyncinths that get thier nutrients from the water column, these will use up all that nutrient and the HA will die back...it has nothing to do with the UV that's been running killing off the single algae.

Take out all the plants, turn off the CO2, stop adding the fertilizers and leave the UV running.let me know what the tank looks like a months from now

White Worm
10-17-2008, 06:38 PM
''
Take out all the plants, turn off the CO2, stop adding the fertilizers and leave the UV running.let me know what the tank looks like a months from now

Not an option...thats way to much work! ;)