PDA

View Full Version : Python and low water pressure?

aquadiva
10-17-2008, 06:40 AM
Hello,

I used my Python to change water last night on my 125 gallon aquarium and it took forever to syphon water out due to low water pressure. Plus it seems like a waste of water to do it this way. Is there any way to increase the pressure by using what someone mentioned in a different and older thread as a Power Head and if so, what size power head would be sufficient and can someone send a photo of what it should look like on the Python? Or is there any other way to increase the pressure? Otherwise doing it by bucket will take a real toll on my back given the amount of water changes Discus prefer. I don't mind if it is slower to fill up but taking water out needs to be faster than this. It doesn't vacuum that well either. Thank you in advance for any tips on this one. ;)

dwilder
10-17-2008, 09:11 AM
it will work faster if you turn the faucet open all the way as far as a power head or a pump most say approximately how much water an hour they pump so you can use that as a guide

brewmaster15
10-17-2008, 09:28 AM
Take a look at The safety pumps that Jehmco.com sells... I used to use these and they worked absolutely perfect to drain a tank in no time..

http://www.jehmco.com/html/safety_siphon_aquarium_drain.html

Using a python to drain a tank is just wasting good water, IMO.:)

hth,
al

White Worm
10-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Can you just drain it out a window to the outside?

al210
10-17-2008, 12:16 PM
Hello,

I used my Python to change water last night on my 125 gallon aquarium and it took forever to syphon water out due to low water pressure. Plus it seems like a waste of water to do it this way. Is there any way to increase the pressure by using what someone mentioned in a different and older thread as a Power Head and if so, what size power head would be sufficient and can someone send a photo of what it should look like on the Python? Or is there any other way to increase the pressure? Otherwise doing it by bucket will take a real toll on my back given the amount of water changes Discus prefer. I don't mind if it is slower to fill up but taking water out needs to be faster than this. It doesn't vacuum that well either. Thank you in advance for any tips on this one. ;)

I use gravity flow with my python. I get more flow and don't waste water.

Note: You can't use the green python tube cap to start a manual siphon. I use a cap from another gravel vac that allows water out when pushing the tube down into the tank. I just use the green cap for refills.

aquadiva
10-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Jehmco looks like it may be the way to go for me. I called them but they are closed so will call back. Is this easy to use? Just connect it to the Python?

What is Gravity Flow??

Thanks so much for the advice!!:)

White Worm
10-17-2008, 06:46 PM
Gravity flow means ......water flows faster downhill.....the end of the hose that that the water is draining from is lower than the end that it is entering into (the tank). Once you create a flow with suction, your flow will be very good and will continue until you manually stop it. You can empty a large tank within 10-15 minutes. This also increases the vacuums suction ability. You can then adjust the flow with the pythons valve in case you have too much.

aquadiva
10-17-2008, 07:42 PM
Sorry, That sounded like a rather stupid question on my part, lol, I thought maybe Gravity Flow was a product like Jehmco! I suppose this could work if I were to take the end off of my Python that would otherwise connect to the faucet and put it outside to drain, that is until winter hits full force here. Otherwise I don't think that would work since the hose would eventually go upward to the sink, that would stop the flow. Great idea for draining outdoors during the warmer months and something I will definitely do! Thanks!:confused:

al210
10-17-2008, 08:19 PM
I suppose this could work if I were to take the end off of my Python that would otherwise connect to the faucet and put it outside to drain

Yes, thats exactly how I do it.

Darrell Ward
10-18-2008, 01:23 AM
Take a look at The safety pumps that Jehmco.com sells... I used to use these and they worked absolutely perfect to drain a tank in no time..

http://www.jehmco.com/html/safety_siphon_aquarium_drain.html

Using a python to drain a tank is just wasting good water, IMO.:)

hth,
al

Yes, they work great. I've used the "super safety siphon" pump for several years, the one with a 500gph pump. I have a well, so for my use, a python is a joke. My lower water pressure makes the python nothing more than overpriced tubing. :D

katt-ja
10-18-2008, 11:29 AM
i just run mine into the bathtub and use a bunjee cord to hold it there. then i hang the hose so it is going 'down hill' and it siphons really well. i don't like wasting water with hooking it up to the faucet, and it's too loud. also i use the water flowing into the bathtub to rinse my sponge filters under while the rest of the water is siphoning.

CraigG
10-18-2008, 06:49 PM
I made my own python out of the material. I'll post a picture and it works great. I just put it into a bucket because I live in a apartment; don't think my neighbors below would like tank water on thier patio....haha Not to mention I do 10 Gallon water changes every 3 days so I can measure it out wasn't sure what 10 gallons was having it to the faucet.

Basically its, Syphon tube attached to a tubing, attached to the close valve(male), attached to the female connector to another tube. That way I don't suck up all my substrate (sand).

I can still connect it to the faucet but I didn't like doing it that way not enough suction.

aquadiva
10-19-2008, 08:53 AM
Thanks everyone for the great replys! You've all been very helpful. I am calling Jehmco tomorrow. Since I am not a "handy" person, this will work best. I had no idea there was an easier way to siphon water out besides wasting a ton of water with the Python or hauling buckets, what a relief! If my tank weren't so big, I would haul buckets. :sun:

thebigone
10-19-2008, 10:17 PM
al210: "I use gravity flow with my python. I get more flow and don't waste water."

I agree very much with al210. I have a python that came with my tank and I do my water changes out a window just like this. Gravity is a wonderful thing. I have a 125 gallon as well and it take a little longer then my 26 gallon bowfront but maybe 3-5 mins. at the most for about a 20-25% water change.

Josh