PDA

View Full Version : How many?

fishy_dude
10-17-2008, 10:40 AM
Hello everyone. I have a 75 gal with 8 juvies in it currently and was thinking about putting some Cardinals and Rummy nose in there. What do you think would be a proper amount of those guys in there? The tank is planted with one large piece of driftwood in the middle. Thanks for your input, Brian

White Worm
10-17-2008, 11:48 AM
I would go with one school of cards. 20-30.

10-17-2008, 11:55 AM
20 to 30 cardinals YES!!

ShinShin
10-20-2008, 01:00 AM
None. Your set up is good for the number of discus you have provided you are doing a 50% daily water change as a minimum. Dither fish really have no place in a growout tank.

Mat

Tropical Haven
10-21-2008, 01:39 PM
I would agree with Larry on this, adding 20 to 30 smaller fish would make this tank a heavy bioload and your discus make not grow to their potential size. I would leave just the discus in there alone.

Apistomaster
10-25-2008, 11:54 AM
I wouldn't keep so many Tetras with Discus in a 75 gal but a school of 6 Black Phantoms or 6 N. beckfordi Pencilfish wouldn't hurt. They can be helpful by cleaning up small bits of food the discus miss without crowding the tank. A few Hypancistrus inspector plecos would make good bottom feeders and a small Bushy Nose Pleco for algae control.
I usually keep a few fish like these in my discus grow out tanks, those I'm raising new breeders in. I don't keep other fish in my discus grow out tanks that are discus that I'm raising to salable size except a small Bushy Nose pleco.

1Chuck9669
10-26-2008, 12:16 AM
I wouldn't keep so many Tetras with Discus in a 75 gal but a school of 6 Black Phantoms or 6 N. beckfordi Pencilfish wouldn't hurt. They can be helpful by cleaning up small bits of food the discus miss without crowding the tank. A few Hypancistrus inspector plecos would make good bottom feeders and a small Bushy Nose Pleco for algae control.
I usually keep a few fish like these in my discus grow out tanks, those I'm raising new breeders in. I don't keep other fish in my discus grow out tanks that are discus that I'm raising to salable size except a small Bushy Nose pleco.

Larry,

You tell it like it is :D Thanks for all of your insight!