PDA

View Full Version : Apple Computers

katt-ja
10-18-2008, 11:51 PM
I'm so fricken angry!!!!!!!!!!! :flame:
I bought my macbook a couple months ago and then the same one i bought is now $600 cheaper, and then a new one that is like 10X better is the same price now!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHH. it is completely unfair.

bs6749
10-19-2008, 12:39 AM
Why would you buy an Apple?! Unless you are into graphic design/editing and related material, a Windows based PC is the way to go IMO. I'm no fan of Microsoft and I refuse to "upgrade" to Vista but there is tons of software available for a PC compared to Macs and that alone is why I'll never own one. Plus, I feel that Apples are a fad. They are marketed to be "cool" and "computers for the youth" and sadly it works. My aunt and unlce bought my cousin an Apple notebook last Christmas and she doesn't even use it but she kept begging to have one "because it looks so cool." I don't like laptops for the simple reason that they aren't as upgradeable as desktops and you can get MUCH more computer for your buck if you go with a notebook. Technology changes and new CPUs and chipsets come out every 6-9 months. I usually build a new computer every 2 years and I upgrade the parts in between upgrades to keep things up to date and make sure that my computer is up to speed. I love the fact that I can install Windows XP in 7 mintues with my current (and out of date) computer. If I had a laptop I'd be spending thousands of dollars in order to keep up. Having a desktop I can spend $300-500 every year and a half and be good to go. I know how frustated you must be LOL. I USED to have a laptop too : )

katt-ja
10-19-2008, 09:36 AM
i don't know why you are insulting laptops so much. i think they are amazing. i take it to my classes and thats how i take notes. i would NEVER buy a desktop. they are not practical for my lifestyle. and i would never go back to pc because i love apple products. they are easier to use and way faster and just very contemporary. i'm just mad that the same computer i bought is now $600 cheaper because a new one has come out. there is no reason to be so one sided and say all apple computers are not practical. they are worth the extra money and they don't have a lot of software because they just don't NEED it. they are compatible with everything you plug into it. you don't even need those stupid discs that come with a camera, etc. but what ever that is your opinion, and this is mine. i have nothing against what other people prefer. apple is just what i like. THATS why i would buy an apple.

and i don't know why that girl wouldn't use her macbook. obviously she didn't have wireless or was too young to even know what to do with it...

wgtaylor
10-19-2008, 10:06 AM
I would go back to the store where you bought it and explain your situation. Some stores will make an adjustment to the price or offer an upgrade for little or no money. Do it calmly and you may get what you want. Good luck. Bill

katt-ja
10-19-2008, 11:33 AM
thye said there is nothing they can do because i'm over the 14 days price change protection...

bs6749
10-19-2008, 12:00 PM
i don't know why you are insulting laptops so much. i think they are amazing. i take it to my classes and thats how i take notes. i would NEVER buy a desktop. they are not practical for my lifestyle. and i would never go back to pc because i love apple products. they are easier to use and way faster and just very contemporary. i'm just mad that the same computer i bought is now $600 cheaper because a new one has come out. there is no reason to be so one sided and say all apple computers are not practical. they are worth the extra money and they don't have a lot of software because they just don't NEED it. they are compatible with everything you plug into it. you don't even need those stupid discs that come with a camera, etc. but what ever that is your opinion, and this is mine. i have nothing against what other people prefer. apple is just what i like. THATS why i would buy an apple.

and i don't know why that girl wouldn't use her macbook. obviously she didn't have wireless or was too young to even know what to do with it...

Desktops are perfect for my lifestyle of sitting down and doing homework, browsing forums and looking up general information online. I'm not saying that laptops don't have their uses for certain people such as yourself. I'm saying that for me and most other people destops are perfect. I also didn't say that Apples don't have thier uses. For graphics/imaging/video editing and applications in that general area that are much better suited than PC's and win hands down.

Apples aren't faster than PC's and PC's aren't faster than Apples. It's all about the processor, MOBO, chipset, RAM, HDD (speed and accessing time), etc. Laptops are extremely limited in how much they can be upgraded and thus for me they prove to be useless as I like to have up to date (or at least not too old) technology. Try to upgrade your laptops RAM from DDR2 to DDR3, try finding a video card to put in your laptop. You won't be able to because you won't be able to find a DDR3 MOBO to connect them (new RAM modules) to and you can't get add-on video cards for latops (yet). Also, desktop CPU's are much faster and more powerful than laptop processors. Another reason why laptops are insufficient for me.

brewmaster15
10-19-2008, 12:00 PM
Maybe try Apple Direct and see if they can mediate... $600 is a huge difference!:(

-al

katt-ja
10-19-2008, 12:40 PM
yeah i called them and they said there was nothing i could do... but i'm still happy with my computer. just sucks that if i waited a bit longer i would have saved 600 bucks!

and about the speed. i have never seen a desktop that was fast. and with macs, once your powered up there is no waiting. every pc that i have ever sat in front of or had on my lap you have to wait for it to power up and then you have to wait for all the programs to load on your start up and then when you open mulitple programs it's super slow and freezes. i've never had a slow moment on my mac. and once your mac is on. everything is on. you can open every single application on your computer and not freeze up or slow down. maybe yours isn't slow because you know how to tear up the inside and move stuff around. but for simplicity and quality i like the mac. the applications can always be updated. that's all you really need. they all come with a huge amount of memory and hard drive.. they last a long time. i didn't like my last pc laptop. so many problems...

like even at my college the pcs are so slow and take like 10 minutes to load up. so i tried sitting on the mac computers and i was impressed. once i got used to it i went and purchased my macbook.

plus i like being able to move my computer anywhere i want.

bs6749
10-19-2008, 01:02 PM
If you haven't ever seen a desktop that was fast you must be looking at all of the HP's, Dells, and Gateways. Most of these (especialy Dells) are worthless IMO. I'd have to spend $1400 on one at the store to get something even remotely comparable to what I could build for $800, but what I can build would be faster and better quality parts.

Comparing your laptop with ONE USER to your college's network with literally thousands (probably over 10,000 users) is not really comparable. The computers at my college are the same way. I know very little about networking and why it takes so long but I know it's not an even comparison. It'd be like a 150 car freight train and a golf cart (yeah, I'm calling the Apple a golf cart LOL) racing 50 meters (I knew you were in Canadia so I specified meters instead of yards) from a standstill. Obviously the golfcart is going to win as the train is pulling more weight and is much longer.

Also, there is probably more than way around all of this. Do you have any damage protection on the computer as far as being covered by drops, etc :) ...Not that I'm saying that you SHOULD, but what would happen if it "accidentally got nudged off the table" right after you saved all of your important files to disk? Also, if yours is $600 less right now new, maybe you should try selling yours on Ebay or something and purchasing a new one of the same model. That way you may be able to at least make $300. I'm not trying to sound rude but people don't often do proper research on what they are purchasing. If you had looked into it thoroughly, then you would have likely noticed a newer model coming out soon and then held off on the one you purchased until the price dropped. That information is widely available and you most likely could have even read that the price was going to drop $600 on the one you bought. Maybe someone else will buy the one you have for close to what you paid for it. I don't think that's "wrong" because if they are willing to pay that much then they must think it's a good deal and if they are happy and you are happy, why not?

katt-ja
10-19-2008, 05:09 PM
ok mr. grumpy pants i've decided i don't want to speak with you anymore... researching is pretty much a hobby of mine. and this new model came out three months after i bought my mac. so there would be no way of telling. so bye. discussion over.

bs6749
10-19-2008, 05:13 PM
Not sure how that was grumpy, but whatever. I have no reason to be grumpy as I'm not the one out $600. I was just trying to give you some advice on what would work in getting your money back.

katt-ja
10-19-2008, 05:14 PM
sure you were trying to give me advice but for some reason you had to include how you thought i was being ignorant and should have done more research. think before you speak.

katt-ja
10-19-2008, 05:15 PM
also, half the computers at my college are macs. with just as many users. so there. now shush.

someone close this thread, i'm sorry i even opened it.

bs6749
10-19-2008, 05:37 PM
sure you were trying to give me advice but for some reason you had to include how you thought i was being ignorant and should have done more research. think before you speak.

And I said that I wasn't trying to sound rude but you took it that way. Hopefully you learned your lesson about spending that amount of money on something without researching properly. Read before you reply then maybe you will understand.

also, half the computers at my college are macs. with just as many users. so there. now shush.

someone close this thread, i'm sorry i even opened it.

You obviously don't understand what I said. It doesn't matter what kind of computers are hooked up to the network, it's the AMOUNT OF USERS that are on the network that makes it slow. Whenever you or anyone else logs onto that network with one of the school's computers it has to load YOUR SETTINGS but first it has to find them out of the THOUSANDS of other users stored in the system. I don't think you understood what I was saying in the first place and you took my comments to be rude, which they were not intended to be. I'm sorry if you don't like my opinion that you didn't properly do research but are you angry with me for pointing it out or are you angry at you for not doing the research? The phrase "don't kill the messenger" applies here as do some others I'm sure.

katt-ja
10-19-2008, 05:41 PM
i never said i was angry. obviously your having a hard time dropping this. i said this convo is over. and there you go again. insulting me by telling me i don't do research correctly. i never said i wanted the new one that just came out and how could anyone possible find out of a new computer was coming out in 3 months from now? a lot of people were surprised. so give it up. and obviously you didn't read my point that not just the network was slow. but programs are slow. i'm sure microsoft word opening up has nothing to do with networking. but please. just stop with your computer lingo, mumbo, jumbo and drop it. your happy with you pc i'm happy whit my mac.

katt-ja
10-19-2008, 05:47 PM
like i didn't open this thread to be told that i'm stupid and not doing research and how i made a bad choice by buying this computer. i've enjoyed this computer more then any other computer i have been on. i was just voicing that a couple months later i missed out on a big price drop and a new computer coming out. i accepted that. and people just like a little sharing time once in a while. so please stop.

bs6749
10-19-2008, 06:06 PM
i never said i was angry. obviously your having a hard time dropping this. i said this convo is over. and there you go again. insulting me by telling me i don't do research correctly. i never said i wanted the new one that just came out and how could anyone possible find out of a new computer was coming out in 3 months from now? a lot of people were surprised. so give it up. and obviously you didn't read my point that not just the network was slow. but programs are slow. i'm sure microsoft word opening up has nothing to do with networking. but please. just stop with your computer lingo, mumbo, jumbo and drop it. your happy with you pc i'm happy whit my mac.

I never insulted you. I stated that I felt most people often don't research what they are planning on purchasing. I then suggested that you would have noticed a newer model coming out soon had you looked into it (Right now you could probably find out what CPU is going to be released by Intel in 2010 so I doubt that it'd be too hard to find the release of a new Mac Notebook). I said these things, you took them the wrong way, and now you are angry at me because you misunderstood what I said. I'm sorry if you felt that I insulted, that wasn't my intent.

I never said that you wanted the new one. I gave advice on how you could eaisly get your money back though.

katt-ja
10-19-2008, 06:09 PM
there you go ASSuming that i'm angry again.... i said PLEASE stop with your explanations. like stop StOp STOP!

katt-ja
10-19-2008, 06:18 PM
"bs6749
Registered Member

LOL
I think it's very cute that you are all mad and stuff I'm just messin around, trying to pull your chain. I'm pretty much rolling on the floor right now. LOL -Bryan"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

very mature. and again. i'm not mad. this is the last time i'm going to reply to you. get a life, k?

bs6749
10-19-2008, 06:31 PM
Won't even reply just once more? :(

DiscusOnly
10-19-2008, 06:57 PM
katt-ja:

I like to say that I feel bad for you but not really. Why? Because that's the nature of technology equipments. I can't cound the number of times I look and see how much something cost and how much I had paid for it months/years ago. I always tell myself that "you gotta to pay to play". If the laptop was sitting on a shelf for the last month, then you should feel bad because you purchased something that you didn't need and you know the price will go down (not how much).

As for laptop verus desktop, mac versus pc.. There are pros and cons.. Each has it's purpose so there is no one solution for all. For my computer work, I would never buy a desktop PC again, why? Because I run things off of my server and I use my laptop to remote in (it's the best of both world).

My advice is to buy and enjoy, don't look back.

White Worm
10-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Katt

I'd be pissed too if I bought anything that was $600 cheaper after I recently purchased it. With technology these days, what was the newest thing last week is now outdated especially with computers. Unfortunately, you will never be able to beat the system unless you are a computer builder and know how to continuously update with new hardware/software. If it helps, when I purchase a computer, I never look back to see the prices because I know I will be upset about it. :D

katt-ja
10-19-2008, 08:15 PM
your right. i was just whining :p

but yes i bought, and i do enjoy my mac <3