PDA

View Full Version : EGGS!!!

LostAcres
10-19-2008, 07:20 AM
Wow, I am totally totally tickled and surprised. Some of you probably remember my little thread about loosing 2 discus very very quickly a few weeks apart in this tank this month. No idea what caused the deaths, I have been watching the other fish closely and everything seemd fine.

Well this morning, at feeding time, I noticed the filter intake is covered with eggs. What a surprise. There are three Rose Reds and one Yellow diamond left in the tank, and it seems like two of the Rose Reds are hanging close to the tube and eggs. They are still young fish, this is their first time, so I am not going to do anything but let nature take its course.
Very exciting though, that I do now have a pair.
YEAH nice Sunday morning present!!!!

Hasseness
10-19-2008, 12:32 PM
Congrats!

packerkid
10-19-2008, 01:43 PM
Well at least it had a happy ending =)

Now it'll be cool to see how the little guys do

LostAcres
10-19-2008, 02:35 PM
Thanks, I am VERY excited, even though, like I said, I won't do anything. If there are wigglers then I will do my best, but otherwise, since this is their first go'round, I will leave things be. THe two Rose Reds, are guarding the eggs fiercly, both fanning etc., but from what I have read, they will probably eat them...Being Young fish and all. We shall see. It is FUN watching, and fun knowing I have a pair!!!!

LostAcres
10-20-2008, 06:10 PM
okay, update. All the eggs turned white, some sooner then others. Not really worried about it, since I am learning. I assume this means that either a fungus, or that the eggs were not fertilized, meaning there may be two females. I have no idea how to sex these fish, since I was not witness to the actual spawning. They are still protecting the eggs, and hovering over them. Shall I remove them (eggs) at this point, or leave everything alone? I guess the only good thing is that neither of the two ate any of them.
Sure do wish I knew if it was a pair, one of them is pretty big, and in my mind I want to think thats the male. :p

Apistomaster
10-21-2008, 11:04 PM
Your chances are very high you have a pair.
Fertility problems among many strains of domestics are common. My experience has been that about 1 out of 3 pairs of most domestic discus go on to become good breeding pairs. The rest produce infertile eggs or are dedicated egg eaters.
Until you set them up in their own breeding tank it will be difficult to assess how good a pair they are. I allow pairs to spawn a dozen times and if they haven't produced any fry by then I sell them as 2 discus that spawn but haven't raised fry.