PDA

View Full Version : The New Alpha

Hasseness
10-20-2008, 04:37 PM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

Last Friday I noticed the higherarchy changed in my tank. 8 Discus in tank. I've had them for 3 weeks. #2 is now the Alpha and the old alpha is now #3.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

The new alpha has been dark since Friday. Today I noticed a discoloration. On closer inspection...it looks like a tiny elongated burn in the middle of the discoloration. There is also a tiny piece of skin hanging off of it. Then #7 comes along and starts bitting the spot. The alpha does nothing as if he likes it. Then he gets anoyed at #7 and bits back. Then he brushed up against the air hose like he was itchy.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

2 weeks ago I used General Cure (to worm them because they were new and a few were rubbing against the air hoses) After the treatment none were rubbing on the hoses...until today. I also did a 3 gallon daily water change durning the treatment just to get the poop out.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

55 grow out. 1 year. 8 fish from 4 to 2 in.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

Everyday/1 year/Its been bare bottom for 2 weeks(I got tired of the sand quickly with daily water changes lol)/I age 15 gallons of a 25 gallon water change.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp __85___

- ph ___7.5__ (same as the breeders)

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __between 0 and .5__

- well water _no___

- municipal water _yes + R/O___

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

All discus were added 3 weeks ago. I took out my community fish the day before I got them.

Hasseness
10-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Its been a couple hours and the tiny burn spot and the hanging piece of skin are healed. The big discoloration spot looks the same. The burn spot used to be right in the middle of the discoloration.

Hasseness
10-22-2008, 09:31 AM
I haven't done anything different. Its been 2 days and hes back to normal, except his darkness. That happened when he took over as alpha. I guess its stressful for him.