PDA

View Full Version : Fry Independence?

mickbyrne6
10-24-2008, 06:23 AM
Hi everyone. I have just had my red malboro's breed and noticed some of the fry now are not swimming with the dad (mum was removed). They are only 5 days into swimming with the parents and feeding off the side. Today however i have noticed a large number have decided to leave dad and swim around on thier own. Is this too quick? There are probably 10 or so swimming with the dad still. One side note:I have been spraying small doses of BBS in the tank to the fry since they started swimming with mum and dad so whether they have taken to that now and dont need dad???

Thanks
Mick

MostlyDiscus
10-24-2008, 08:48 AM
Hi Mick,

At 5 days and eating BBS they can be pulled if needed. I did do a test with babies by taking half the spawn from the parents at around 1 week and left the other half with the parents. While the first half grew fine the second half did much better and seemed more at ease. It may be that they are seeking more food. How big is your tank m8?

mickbyrne6
10-24-2008, 09:15 AM
its a 2ft cube, however i have lowered the water level to only 1/4 from the bottom. Should mum be put back in then if they need more food. The reason why mum was taken out was because she looked to be eating the fry off the male

MostlyDiscus
10-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Mick, Keep the female out for now till the fry are all on BBS. If you put her back in it will be hovac. Move the fry out then she can come home. More water the better. Keep feeding BBS and after another week you should be able to feed whatever the parents are eating.. ED

mickbyrne6
10-24-2008, 06:26 PM
thanks mate, will do that then. Appreciate the help

Mick

AADiscus
10-24-2008, 08:08 PM
I would go ahead and bring your water back up and do not bring mom back in. Dad will do fine. They will eat off him when they are hungry enough. He is kinda like a snack when they are eating other food. You will know when they are eating the bbs when there little bellies are orange looking.

Congrats on the fry! ;)

mickbyrne6
10-24-2008, 08:55 PM
thanks AA. I'll raise the water then and keep the filter out. Thier bellies are black and look full so they must be feeding off something then i guess.

:)
Mick

MostlyDiscus
10-25-2008, 09:34 AM
The black means slimecoat from thier dad. sorry about not being clear, the more water the better meant fill you tank back up. How many days have they been free swimming? Ed

mickbyrne6
10-25-2008, 05:12 PM
Hi ed. today would be 7 days swimming for the fry. I will fill the tank right up today. Thanks for the help :)

Mick