View Full Version : Twiching discus

JodyF
10-26-2008, 04:14 AM
Hi all

Not been keeping discus long so not to sure about there habits. I have a planted 68gal 5ft tank with five discus all about 4 inchs and two plecos that mind there own business.The water is changed every week about 40% and the water quality is fine
amonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10
ph 7

Now the issue is with one fish a 4inch silver pidgeon blood He seems fine and feeds with no issues but all of a sudden he starts to twich from head to tail or shake if you like. He is boss of the tank and will feed first but why all the odd shaky movements?
None of the other fish do it.
I worm them once a month and there poo is solid red or brown depending on what I have feed them.
Any help would be appreciated
jody
Ps sorry about the spelling.

White Worm
10-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Twitching could most likely mean an external irritant. You should be changing more water. I would up that to 80% or do 2 50% a week at the least. Water quality means more than making sure the tank is cycled and knowing the pH level.

Darrell Ward
10-26-2008, 03:10 PM
Discus "shimmy" is part of mating. I usually see a cluster of eggs a short time later. I have had smaller, younger fish pair off and spawn before, so it would not be unusual. Probably more likely than a parasite problem if you ask me.

White Worm
10-26-2008, 03:26 PM
If one young fish is twitching (quick twitch, fin flicking, etc), its more likely that your fluke population is high due to the lack of clean water. If two fish are doing what looks to be a full body shiver together, then you could be looking at early mating behavior. You may see others begin to do this (twitch) since you said you have not been keeping them long. The shiver will most likely happen when the fish of choice is near. Keep an eye on the times that it happens and if another certain individual fish is near, could be an attention attempt. If its just random, change more water.

JodyF
10-27-2008, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the replys
The fish in question now I have been looking has the hots for the royal red that I have in there. from what you have all said it looks as if it,s courtship.none of the fish hide away and they are all feeding well and they all fight like cat and dog so from what I have read and what you have all said it must be love. they also feed together and the male chases of the other discus but not the royal red. I will start to do two 50% water changes a week to rule that out as well .
thanks for the help
Jody

Enigma
10-27-2008, 10:59 AM
Hi, I also have a similar thing happening with my discus. Should I plan to move the two interested in a separate tank. They're really fussing with the other fish. Very territorial. One fish is getting ragged in the tail and I'm worried for him. What would you do?

White Worm
10-28-2008, 06:36 PM
The rest will learn. Moving 2 fish out at this point would do more harm. Wait until you know for sure unless someone is really getting injured. Worn fins are normal and will grow back. Its best to allow them time to practice before moving them into a breeding tank.