PDA

View Full Version : Stocking plan

Sheila
10-26-2008, 05:56 PM
I just wanted to get some opinions on my stocking plan. My tank is a 70g filtered by a renaxp3 and a #5 sponge filter (may change this to a AC110. I would like to plant it eventually. It currently has 5 Discus and 9 cardinal tetras. This is what I'd like to do

5 Discus
20-25 Cardinal tetras
6 Cories (sterbai)
and some sort of algae eater, not sure what to go with here.

I was also thinking of adding a 6th discus. What do you guys think? Would 6 Discus be ok with this plan or would it be pushing it?

1Chuck9669
10-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Hi Shelia,

I've read here that the rule of thumb is 1 Discus per 10 gallons of water. Your filtration seems pretty good. What type of water change schedule do you plan to keep? I would go with the Bristlenose for your algae eater, mine perform the task very effeciently.

Best of Luck,

Sheila
10-26-2008, 08:36 PM
I usually do 3 50% water changes a week, although I'll admit some weeks I miss one change. I always do 2 though. Do you think I'd be ok with having 6 Discus? And as for the BN pleco, I love them, but they seem to destroy my amazon swords. Do they all do that?

allan_mark76
10-27-2008, 06:45 PM
For every 10 gallons per discus is a good rule, but if you have a bare bottom tank with just discus you can get away with more. As long as you do your daily water changes you'd be fine.

~AKA~

Sheila
10-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Well the tank is barebottom now but I would like to switch it over to a planted tank. I would like to keep
6 discus
20 or so cardinals
6 cories
1 BN pleco.

Does that seem like too much?

allan_mark76
10-28-2008, 06:59 PM
For 70-gallons your almost up there, but as long as you keep up with your water changes and keep it clean you'd be okay.

Also beware as knowing the hobby your bound to add more fish sooner than later . ..

~AKA~

07 Maverick P51
10-28-2008, 07:02 PM
I just wanted to get some opinions on my stocking plan. My tank is a 70g filtered by a renaxp3 and a #5 sponge filter (may change this to a AC110. I would like to plant it eventually. It currently has 5 Discus and 9 cardinal tetras. This is what I'd like to do

5 Discus
20-25 Cardinal tetras
6 Cories (sterbai)
and some sort of algae eater, not sure what to go with here.

I was also thinking of adding a 6th discus. What do you guys think? Would 6 Discus be ok with this plan or would it be pushing it?

Another Discus would be fine. Just reduce the number of Cardinal Tetras.