PDA

View Full Version : My discus are scared of me (selectively)...

Yassmeena
10-27-2008, 08:45 AM
My discus have been exhibiting some strange behavior and I was hoping you guys could help me make sense of it.

First some background... I got 6 fish from Kenny's Forrest shipment two months ago, recently added 4 more last week, and sold 4 of my discus from the first batch during the same week. So now I have a total of 6 Kenny Forrest discus (2 from 2 months ago, 4 from last week).

Upon putting the 4 new guys in I treated the water with Furan 2 for 4 days, doing 60% WC daily, as I do everyday.

When netting out the discus to be sold (this past Saturday), I had to chase 2 down with the net, and one of them was rather resistant to bagging.

Since then it seems they have been huddling in a corner whenever they see me, and it only happens with ME. Before I enter the room, I look around the corner at the tank and see them swimming around, then when I enter the room, they instantly huddle in a corner. If one moves to the other corner they all follow close by and huddle again in that corner.

This morning I threw FBW in the tank and they completely ignored them. Then I left the room, but when I looked around the corner I saw that they were eating the FBW. The strange thing is that my husband was in the room at the time. So it was like they waiting till I specifically left. This morning was the first time they did that with the food. Prior to that they would leave their huddle in order to eat while I was standing right in front of the tank.

They also seem to lower their fins when they see me.

Can anyone interpret this behavior?

btw - I do daily water changes, and have stable temp. I have not checked my water parameters though... The fish coloration also looks rather normal.

Peachtree Discus
10-27-2008, 10:06 AM
my interpretation....they saw you chasing them/their friends around with a net and they thought you were going to eat them. now they see you coming and brace themselves for the chase.

people say oscars can recognize "the 1 (selectively) that makes food fall from the sky" and I believe discus can recognize/remember potential dangerous situations based on people and events. as long as they are eating and continue to look and act healthy...just continue to do what you need to do and they will eventually warm up to you. IMO...nothing to worry about.

10-27-2008, 10:08 AM
I probably would have "chased down" as you say the two fish you sold before introducing the new fish. It could be the combination of new surroundings for the new fish and the catching of the ones sold has caused them to associate you with activities that they do not care for. I am sure they will settle down but it might take more time. Remember, these new fish are not familiar with their new digs or your maint routine. In any event i would not stand in front of the tank after feeding but would simply walk across the room and sit down and watch. I am not a fan of large daily water changes. I prefer two to three small water changes per week. IMHO it is less stressful on fish.

Yassmeena
10-27-2008, 10:22 AM
Well, your responses are reassuring. I was concerned bc my searches on the forum brought up threads suggesting that hudddling may be a sign of illness. Plus with their new "waiting to eat till I left the room" behavior, I was doubly concrned that they are starting to lose their appetite as well.

I will monitor their behavior closely as far as eating and huddling habits to try to make sure that this only happens in my presence (hidden camera, lol, i wish...).

I will also try the feeding and walking away routine.

I think I will also add aquarium salt after H2O changes for a couple days - thoughts on this anyone?

I will post back in a couple days with updates on their behavioral changes, if any.

Peachtree Discus
10-27-2008, 10:45 AM
I think I will also add aquarium salt after H2O changes for a couple days

what are you looking to solve with this "med"? it's your call, but i would not bother. i would continue to monitor and just show them the same routine. it's only been 2 months/4 weeks. when they see you continue to do the same series of task over and over, during which they are not threatened, they will learn that you are not really a threat.

Yassmeena
10-27-2008, 10:52 AM
what are you looking to solve with this "med"? it's your call, but i would not bother. i would continue to monitor and just show them the same routine. it's only been 2 months/4 weeks. when they see you continue to do the same series of task over and over, during which they are not threatened, they will learn that you are not really a threat.

Noted! Will omitt that from my regimen!