PDA

View Full Version : How do "YOU" keep your blackworms alive?

kenhappen2u
10-28-2008, 11:39 PM
just like the title says ...how do you keep large quanities of blackworms alive ? ive heard about a BOX/worm keeper but figured there has to be other ways .....

how often do you change the water ?

do you feed the worms anything ?

ive only bought small table spoon size cups of them and have never had to store them for any period of time . i change the water about every other day if they last any longer then 2 days in the fridge

Ken

seanyuki
10-29-2008, 07:26 AM
hi there

here's the link in SD.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=62953

or

http://www.aquaticfoods.com/blackwormcare.html

Cheers
Francis:)

MSD
10-29-2008, 08:14 AM
When I used them I kept them in a tupperware box where the worm mass would be 1" or less. I rinsed them everyday (very important) and then drained them in a fine fishnet to get as much water out as possible. They are kept in the fridge of course, at all other times. I have gotten up to three weeks of safe, clean storage using that method.

tacks
10-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Hi Aquaticfoods sells a tray which holds the worms and allows you to rinse them very easily. I get 1/2 pd. every other week and have 2 trays which works out well. HTH Ed

cyang
10-29-2008, 02:44 PM
I wouldn't get the trays. I bought them and they were essentially useless compared to what you pay for tupperware. They are a waste of money and pretty expensive. Tupperware works fine.

AndyM
10-29-2008, 03:39 PM
i just use a tupperware container with a few holes in the lid and rinse them daily, sometimes twice if the water is murky. I keep 4 oz or so alive for two weeks, they look fine at that point they're just all gone:D

CraigG
10-29-2008, 07:34 PM
I use the trays and I like them. They make it easy to maintain.

There are 2 bins one for the blackworms and one for the water.

I lift out the top bin(blackworms), empty the water from the second bin. Rinse the top bin refill the bottom bin with water put the top bin back in and done.

Takes like 30 secs and I don't lose any blackworms in the process.

DanCBW
10-30-2008, 10:50 PM
I wouldn't get the trays. I bought them and they were essentially useless compared to what you pay for tupperware. They are a waste of money and pretty expensive. Tupperware works fine.

Chaz
Please do clarify how yours were useless, did they leak
or not hold the worms? Too small too big?
$ 5.50 ea was too much $$

Dan

cyang
10-30-2008, 11:19 PM
Chaz
Please do clarify how yours were useless, did they leak
or not hold the worms? Too small too big?
$ 5.50 ea was too much $$

Dan

Dan, thanks for responding. I don't mean disrespect; your worms are great and I will keep ordering as my discus love them and they are clean...but just not the containers!

I ordered two of them, but the bottom part (the one that holds the water not the worms) are stacked on each other. There are stuck on so tight that it is like it is glued together lol. I tried soaking in water, soap, etc to loosen them up, but it's not working. I'm know I just got unlucky...but I realized that I could make them out of tupperware. I just got a tupperware container, poked some tiny holes in it and placed it in a bigger container with a bit of water. Not saying they are expensive, but I can make bigger / more containers at the same price with tupperware...

MostlyDiscus
10-30-2008, 11:36 PM
cold declorinated water and a fridge. that is it. Ed Most

casw
11-01-2008, 01:43 AM
Cyang, do you mean you stack 2 worm keepers on top of each other? I could see how they'd get stuck like that. I place mine side by side and maintain my blackworms like CraigG. I use a turkey baster or a smaller version (used to measure up to 3 mL) to feed the discus.
I think I use about 1/3 gallon of refrigerated, aged and declorinated tap water for each container every day.

cyang
11-06-2008, 05:46 PM
Dan, thanks for responding. I don't mean disrespect; your worms are great and I will keep ordering as my discus love them and they are clean...but just not the containers!

I ordered two of them, but the bottom part (the one that holds the water not the worms) are stacked on each other. There are stuck on so tight that it is like it is glued together lol. I tried soaking in water, soap, etc to loosen them up, but it's not working. I'm know I just got unlucky...but I realized that I could make them out of tupperware. I just got a tupperware container, poked some tiny holes in it and placed it in a bigger container with a bit of water. Not saying they are expensive, but I can make bigger / more containers at the same price with tupperware...

Dan,

Tell Jennifer thank you for showing my how to separate those containers! I guess I am just weak :D

Also, thank you for sending a free worm keeper on my new order! You guys are great!

Thanks again!

grandrapids9
11-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Hi, where can you buy live blackworms and bloodworms, can they be raised easily enough. Does anyone have good links I can go to.