PDA

View Full Version : Like a little kid in a candy store

Tropical Haven
10-29-2008, 09:26 AM
All I have to say is I am getting pretty exited that the colder weather is getting closer here in the Chicaoland area and it's almost the time of my favorite season. Ice Fishing Season

I absolutely love to fish and could live everyday of my life doing it but I have a special place in my heart for ice fishing. There is nothing like getting your portable shelter, heater, poles & auger ready to head out onto a lake and fish for 6 to 8 hours. I take pictures everytime I am out and just have a blast with quite a few of my friends.

We have a Lake Of The Woods trip every year where we sleep out on the lake in permanent shelters for a 3 day trip. This year we are going there from Jan. 15th to 19th so if there are any ice fisherman out there who are interested in going this year let me know because the sleepers go quick.

Just thought that I would throw this subject out there if there are any other ice fishing fanatics like me out there that are getting the itch for some ice.

William Palumbo
10-29-2008, 09:57 AM
I hear ya Scott!...I could fish everyday too!...I myself enjoy the cold weather fishing the most...including ice fishing. Right now the Samon and Trout are running in the Great Lakes and the harbors, where I have been busy fishing for them, mostly in Chicago where I live, but also many trips to Racine and Kenosha Wisconsin, where I will continue to fish for Brown Trout and Steelhead Trout up until ice-up...then as you know it's a whole set of different equipment, fishing the "hard" water. I love the quietness and solitude of ice fishing. It weeds out the "weekend worriors". so us diehards have the water to ourselves...Good luck in your fishing...Safe ice, and the holidays will be here in no time!...Bill

marnold
10-29-2008, 10:09 AM
You guys need to come to western new york.We fish for steelies and brown and lakers all winter in the lower niagara.Throw in ten to fifteen pound walleye and 10 degrees aint to bad to take.

Tropical Haven
10-29-2008, 10:25 AM
You guys need to come to western new york.We fish for steelies and brown and lakers all winter in the lower niagara.Throw in ten to fifteen pound walleye and 10 degrees aint to bad to take.

I would love to be there to do some fishing and I don't care if it is -20 degrees out side because I have a heater in my Fish Trap Pro shelter which will keep it at 72 degrees inside. Bring on the ice!!!!!

Bill,
If you ever want to get together to do some ice fishing just let me know. We fish alot in Wisconsin as well as some lakes in Illinois too that isn't far from where you live. We fish Bangs Lake, Island Lake, Lake in the Hills, Long Lake and some of the Chain of Lakes as well.

marnold
10-29-2008, 10:41 AM
Hey tropic,We drift fish in 16-18 foot aluminum boats.No heater!Lots of layers.

Tropical Haven
10-29-2008, 12:06 PM
Of course when there is open water I have done that myself, I was thinking on ice only.

marnold
10-29-2008, 12:44 PM
Ive never tried ice fishing.Really no need here when the river never freezes.For crappie and pearch I just wait for ice out on inland lakes.

Porkchop
10-31-2008, 10:35 AM
I love fishing (never get to go) but hate the cold. I hate the "windy city" actually. I was born and raised here but I've always wanted to move to a warmer climate. Arizona or Florida would do just fine.

Tropical Haven
10-31-2008, 11:32 AM
Arizona or Florida would do just fine.

Kinda hard to ice fish in these places. :D

Enigma
10-31-2008, 11:42 AM
I collect old wooden painted ice fishing lures. Its a kind of "Folk art". But I imagine something like this must still be used?

Tropical Haven
10-31-2008, 01:54 PM
With all of the new technology in ice fishing lures I serously doubt that you would still see anyone use these lures unless they are 80 years old.

Porkchop
10-31-2008, 04:18 PM
Kinda hard to ice fish in these places. :D

Yes, extremely hard but as long as it's not cold I'm happy :D

two utes
11-05-2008, 07:37 PM
I'd like to hear a little more about 'ice fishing'.
And things like how thick the ice is and how you bore through it.
How do you know where to fish.....Are you looking for structure, or water depth.

Also, is it strictly bait fishing or can you use jigs and lures?

Would also love to see some photos.

Thanks.

In the meantime...have a look at this...l thought it was funny.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=6oLtIQ4mrDo

Cheers

kenhappen2u
11-05-2008, 08:32 PM
Scott your trip sounds like a lot of fun , i am a huge fishing nut ... mostly steelhead, kings , browns , coho, flathead cats. i also do the racine and trail creek runs . even some lake MI. lakefront fishing . but for me there nothing like slipping on a pair of wadders and grabing the fly rod and hitting the rivers & creeks . and when i am out there i could and have stood out there from sun up till sun down , hungry , arms to tierd to fight another fish , back killing me ....but we keep going back because we love the sport/hobby and to hear those two words .. FISH ON !

Ken

Eddie
11-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Sounds great Scott! I love fishing too. I'm off next weekend to troll for tuna and mahi or anything else that likes my lure. It hasn't got cold here in Okinawa yet.

Goodluck with the ice fishing!

Eddie

Tropical Haven
11-05-2008, 11:23 PM
I'd like to hear a little more about 'ice fishing'.
And things like how thick the ice is and how you bore through it.
How do you know where to fish.....Are you looking for structure, or water depth.

Also, is it strictly bait fishing or can you use jigs and lures?

Would also love to see some photos.

Thanks.

In the meantime...have a look at this...l thought it was funny.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=6oLtIQ4mrDo

Cheers

We take alot of pictures when we ice fish, I will post quite a few this winter for you.

GrillMaster
11-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Oh yeah!! Hard water fishin! :)

I use to ice fish at my grandhathers house in Brookline NH. He had a place on the lake about 5 ft from the shore with a dock he pulled in under the house durin the winter. I use to set the tip ups out then sit by the picture window in his house with ice skates on and a pair of binoculars. When the tip up s tripped I would skate...fall....skate....fall till I finally managed to get out to it an reel em in. Wasn't much good at skatin. I was warm though. ;) :D :D

Good luck this winter Scott! Look forward to the pics. :)